Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy or Greece for Honeymoon in Nov end and early Dec 2013 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-or-greece-for-honeymoon-in-nov-end-and-early-dec-2013-a-985877/)

SChak_13 Jul 21st, 2013 11:15 AM

Italy or Greece for Honeymoon in Nov end and early Dec 2013

My fiance and I are trying to decide between Italy and Greece for our honeymoon from 27th Nov'13 to 10 Dec 2013. We only have time for a seven/eight night stay in either country.
We are looking for a mix of landscape , beaches and sight seeing and try different varieties of food as well.
In Greece , we would like to see Athens, Santorini and Mykanos.
In Italy , we would like to see Rome , Venice , Florence and Sicily/Naples.
Please feel free to add on if there are other interesting places in these countries.
We would also want to know the weather around that time in either countries, specially if there are chances of rain.

asps Jul 21st, 2013 11:24 AM

If you want beaches in November you must look for some tropical destination, but not Europe. November is way too cold for beaches in Italy and it is the rainiest month. I do not know for Greece, but I remember my first visit in Athens in November, nice days but a light coat absolutely needed. (I remember also a huge downpour of rain on a subsequent November visit).

Heimdall Jul 21st, 2013 11:33 AM

Sorry to say this, but in either country it is far too cold for beaches that time of year. For Greece, Athens will be lively, but the islands very quiet. You could go to either Santorini or Mykonos, but to get between the two you will have to go back through Athens. Santorini will still have the views, and some people enjoy being there without other tourists around. That also means, though, you will have a limited choice of hotels and restaurants.

Much as I love Greece, I think Italy will be a better choice for you at the end of November. If you do want to go to Greece, concentrate on Athens.

jamikins Jul 21st, 2013 01:13 PM

Nov and dec are definitely not beach weather months in Italy or Greece. It's off season on the Greek islands so I would save that trip for another time in the summer.

Italy is lovely but do expect cool, cloudy and potentially rainy days, jackets will likely be needed, and short days.

If you are looking for baches send nice weather perhaps postpone your honeymoon until may/June of the next year...

SusannahT Jul 21st, 2013 01:16 PM

Athens & Santorini would be good in Novemeber/Dec but too cold for beaches as stated - except to walk along

Rome & Florence would be good or Florence & Venice but not all as insufficient time

bobthenavigator Jul 21st, 2013 01:20 PM

Try Barbados that time of year--it will be cold and rainy in Europe.

denisea Jul 21st, 2013 01:50 PM

Yep, beaches are out. I agree with previous post that Rome\Florence or Flrence/Venice would work. You don't want too dedicate too much time to packing/unpacking, train travel, etc...

We stayed 9 nights in Rome last year and still didn't see everything. We took a day trip to Orvieto, a day trip to Tivoli and half-day to Ostia Antica. That broke up the trip a bit but we could have been happy staying in Rome the whole time. I have not been to Florence yet, so I can't comment. Venice is beautiful and the time of year you are planning for may be chilly but it won't be crowded.

msteacher Jul 21st, 2013 01:52 PM

At that time of year, definitely Italy over Greece. I agree with the above suggestion that with a week pick two cities. You will love it!

clausar Jul 21st, 2013 01:54 PM

There are many great places that you could visit in Greece, mainly on Mainland Greece.
As for islands Syros and Corfu would be great islands to visit, both have permanent population and are active during the winter, or even Crete.

Mainland Greece has some great places as well, such as Nafplio, Monemvasia, the Pilio mountain with it's romantic villages, just to name a few.

I have been to all of them ( in Nov and Dec) and had a great time.

The weather will be definitely colder and perhaps even rainy on some days but nice sunny days with 20 C are not rare at all either :)