Anniversary Dinner in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have suggestions for our 30th anniversary dinner in Florence? We will be there in November 2013, and staying behind the Duomo at the Hotel Brunelleschi. Has anyone stayed there or eaten in their dining room?

Thanks for any advice, John
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 01:03 PM

The historic area of Florence around the Duomo is a very walkable place, so really all of Florence is open to you.

People can't help you much if you don't say anything about what you are willing to pay, whether you are looking for a multi-course grand meal or an intimate meal, or anything about what kind of ambience you and your wife like.

In the meantime, you might find perusing this website useful

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/784350
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Hi again John. The restaurant at Cibreo is a nice place to celebrate an anniversary. Are you looking for a specific type of place?
Also, as an aside, Fausto Santini (shoe store I referenced in the Milan post) has an outlet in Florence called Yesterday's. Happy shopping!
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 01:26 PM

I don't know how much investigation you plan to do before taking a recommendation, but the restaurant Cibreo has astronomical prices and serves "creative" food, in a very chef-driven menu, much of it having little to do with native Tuscan eating.

The chef also runs a more price friendly trattoria with the same name, with less formal menus and service.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I have read about Cibreo on this site and it seems that it is one of the favorites. Ciao, John
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 02:14 AM

I like Angiolino's on Via di Santo Spirito for the pleasant atmosphere and their fiorentina steak and I am not even a big meat eater.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:10 AM

We ate at Cibreo last week for my wife's anniversary. Tasted Tuscan to me. The chef also has Teatro de Sale, which is theater with Tuscan food. In the theater you may find pasta. But not in Cibreo. If your idea is the Olive Garden then its true it ain't that. The Etruscans were not heavy on the pasta. Game, cheeses, beans, and vegetables are common Tuscan ingredients. Then season plays an integral part as Cibreo isn't serving what isn't fresh and sourced locally. But to the American palate it is not "Italian" food, which of course is an American invention as every region in Italy has unique ingredients and preparation styles. This turns off many visitors. Florence is expensive regardless so wherever you go you'll be spending substantial cash for a special meal.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 07:09 AM

Oh stop, Motorino. The restaurant Cibreo made its reputation departing from the Tuscan classics! That is entire point of the menu! And it is hardly Etruscan either! It is closer to the mentality of Olive Garden (let us entertain you!) than a genuine Fiorentini trattoria down the street. Your attempt to put down people who point that out just reveals your own ignorance, as likewise your remark that prices in Cibreo are in line with prices elsewhere in Florence, even for white table cloth fine dining. Glad you enjoyed your wife's anniversary, whatever that means, and if the OP wants to go for his and his wife's special night, could be just the ticket. But the fact it "tasted Tuscan to you" means you've not tasted much of what Tuscans actually eat.

Here's a typical review of Ristorante Cibreo (this one from Four Seasons Magazine)

"Unpretentious in its appearance, this is actually one of Florence’s most creative, personalized restaurants, thanks to Fabio Picchi’s ever-changing menu of dishes not found anywhere else in the city. Take note: Picchi also runs the less expensive Trattoria Cibrèo next door, with many of the same dishes."
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 10:10 AM

I got some great restaurant recommendations on this thread when we were just in Florence in October. We too were at a hotel just near the Duomo and we walked everywhere.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...w-168699-2.cfm
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM

Top of the top gastronomically - http://www.enotecapinchiorri.it/

Full of history (even though you will not eat outside but can still enjoy the view over a cocktail) - http://www.villasanmichele.com/web/o...an_michele.jsp

Within walking distance but highly recommended - http://www.zebgastronomia.com/the_restaurant.html
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 11:39 AM

In the reasonable price bracket:
For Tuscan food: Osteria di Giovanni
A bit more creative cooking: Belcore

If price is not a problem, Pinchiorri is the top of the top in Italy but you may easily end spending eur 200 per person, much more if you begin experimenting with their wine selection. A more economic, but still expensive and refined place may be Onice at Villa la Vedetta.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 11:44 AM

Oh, I forgot da Bibe, still in the reasonable price bracket, very traditional Tuscan in a small country home (the setting was better before the road works). About impossible to reach without a car or a taxi.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 11:55 AM

OP - there seems to be some contrast in suggestions.

You said 30th anniversary so the presumption - at least mine - is something special and memorable.

If you are looking for something more economic and/or traditionally Florentine (Bistecca alla Fiorentina) please indicate as well as your price range.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 01:16 PM

Here's an interview with Chef Picchi's son Giulio, where he explains the food is "the story of Tuscany."

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...5&ref_item=699

According to Giulio it helps to understand the story of Tuscany. Some of Giulio's words in the interview regarding the food mirror the words of Mate in his book The Wisdom of Tuscany.

The story of Florence is intimately tied to man's creativity and innovation. It is after all home to Brunelleschi's Dome, the Renaissance and all the innovation that that came with it, modern fashion and design. Picchi's recipes are creative. And they are innovative. And they are Tuscan. Innovation and creativity are Florentine and Tuscan classics.