Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy or Greece ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-or-greece-199631/)

B.C. Apr 15th, 2002 07:33 AM

Italy or Greece ?

I am taking a trip to Europe the last two weeks of July.It is down to Italy or Greece as a choice. Could anyone tell me which seems to be a better visit for a family with children ages 7 and 13? Thank you

Rex Apr 15th, 2002 07:40 AM

Italy is like 10 different countries, at bare minimum. Greece is 3 or 4, at least.<BR><BR>The question is almost as broad as where to go in Europe.<BR><BR>Some people might ask why is Greece in the running? Hearing your reasons might help answer the question.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

elaine Apr 15th, 2002 07:48 AM

Rex raises good points.<BR>Do you want beaches? Archeological sites? Cities? Countryside? <BR>Driving vs trains vs boats?<BR>Do you want to stay primarily in one place, as in renting a villa or apartment for example, or do you want to visit several places?<BR>And what made you eliminate other countries?--that might help too.

Melanie Apr 15th, 2002 07:58 AM

My advice is to go spend some time at the bookstore. We went to Greece last year in early May, and choose the place based on some extensive Barnes and Noble time. Greece is wonderful, although I hear that it gets really crowded closer to August. If you go with children, stick to a larger island like Crete or Rhodes. The larger islands have more family activities...although Santorini is so beautiful..ahh

ttt Apr 15th, 2002 09:14 AM

to the top<BR>

B.C Apr 15th, 2002 01:47 PM

Thank you for the responses. The reason for travel is the archeological sites / history. We live in Ft Lauderdale Fla so the site of beaches is of no great interest to us. As far as travel---boats or trains would work ok once we are in the country. So I wonder if you could shed some more light with the above in mind to the question; which would offer more in July Greece or Italy. Thank you

cmt Apr 15th, 2002 02:45 PM

If you're undecided between Greece and Italy and both appeal to you, I think the ideal choice is Sicily.

Rex Apr 15th, 2002 03:41 PM

You don't say if this is a first trip (to either country) for the adults, but I'm going to guess that it is. To the 7 year old, and possibly even the 13 yr old, it's all "ancient history"; the distinction between B.C. and Renaissance may not mean much. So I'm going to lean towards family fun. And then lean towards alpine altitudes and climates not so oppressively hot in July:<BR><BR>Start with Venice (doesn't have to be the first destination chronologically - - just the most important).<BR><BR>Now make castles the focus of your trip: Salzburg, Neuschwanstein, Burg Eltz and Chateau de Haut Koeningsbourg. For simply of logistics, start in Munich and end in Frankfurt or Cologne/Duesseldorf.<BR><BR>I realize that this is an answer quite at odds with your original question. For "true" archaeology, I would send you to Rome, Pompeii, Athens, Delphi, Turkey and the south of France (too much for two weeks, of course).<BR><BR>But you would be hot the whole trip.<BR><BR>So that's my two bits of advice.<BR>

joan Apr 15th, 2002 07:10 PM

WE LOVED GREECE! Although we did it without children, we have been there 3 times and are comtemplating a fourth trip this summer. The people are friendly and the weather is magnificent. It is incredibly diverse and beautiful, and each island is like a different country. We landed in Athens, drove up to the Pellion region and stayed in some beautiful small pensions. We also drove south through Navplion (Nafpoli) and on to Mani area which is also like a different world. Your children will never forget Meteroia, land of incredible rock formations and monasteries filled with rooms full of skulls, especially if you show them scenes from the James Bond movie that was filmed there. And if you visit the islands, sitting on the edge of a volcanic crater while you watch the sun go down is only available in Santoreni. Italy was also wonderful but the people seemed significantly more welcoming in Greece.

up Apr 17th, 2002 03:51 AM

up<BR>

Sue Apr 17th, 2002 09:38 AM

One could debate this ad infinitum, but I have to say that Greece is just so much fun!

clh Apr 17th, 2002 09:41 AM

You can fly to Chania, Crete and take a one-hour bus down to Paleohora, on the southwest coast of the island. The town is close to some beautiful coastline with calm waters, and they shut down the streets at night for outdoor dining. I recommend this because many European families bring their young children here for a low-key holiday. You can rent an apartment with kitchen for a couple of weeks pretty easily.