Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy on a Budget (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-on-a-budget-358572/)

jowt123 May 11th, 2008 02:34 PM

Italy on a Budget

Hi Everyone,

I am leaving on a trip to Italy soon for three weeks and am trying to figure out how much i am going to spend for the touristy things like museums, churches, etc. I was wondering if people could tell me how much they spent on their trip to Italy.

Thanks

adrienne May 11th, 2008 02:42 PM

Churches are almost always free. I only know of a few churches that charge to go in.

I usually budget 10 Euro per museum. If you know where you're going (town and museum) you can look up the admission charge on the museum web sites and get an accurate amount then you'll know exactly what you'll spend for museum admissions.

annhig May 11th, 2008 03:14 PM

hi jwt,

adrienne has it about right, with the exception of Venice, where most churches charge. however, they also belong to something called "chorus" - if you buy the chorus pass at the first one, you are covered for all the rest. It was about 10E when we were there at easter.

both Venice and Rome have passes that you can buy which cover some of the museums. however, one of the problems is that not all of the museums you might want to visit are covered.

so you need to check in each case whether the attractions covered are ones you want to see.

regards, ann

adrienne May 11th, 2008 04:42 PM

I'd forgotten about those churches in Venice (although many others outside the Chorus do not charge). I believe Santa Croce in Florence now charges 5 Euro.

Jean May 11th, 2008 07:44 PM

If a church doesn't charge an entry fee, it's nice to drop a euro (or a couple of lesser coins) in the offering box. Yes, I know, they're part of the Catholic "corporation" and probably receive support from the Italian government, but the tourist hordes do cause a lot of wear and tear.

Santa Croce did not charge an entry fee in October 2006.

adrienne May 12th, 2008 12:22 AM

My niece went to Santa Croce this February and reported they are now charging an entrance fee. Don't know when this started.

WillTravel May 12th, 2008 12:27 AM

They've been charging at Santa Croce for more than three years, as it was 4 Euros when I was there.

sandi_travelnut May 12th, 2008 05:18 AM

When you say "touristy things" that could be anything from a boat ride to a museum... The best thing for you to do is get guidebooks and do research on the cities you'll be visiting. Make a list of the top 5 or so things you would really like to so or do and find out how much they cost. Don't forget to see if there's a museum pass or something similar in that city that covers the entry fee into major sites. It may save you money. Without people knowing what your interests are they can't tell you what to budget.

sandi_travelnut May 12th, 2008 05:19 AM

sorry that should read "ot could be anything from a boat ride to entry into a museum"