Italy: Need Itinerary Help for Three Week Spring Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I have traveled independently or in small groups in Europe, but have but have not been to Italy in a while. We are in our early 60s, healthy and have about three weeks plus to travel. Additonally we are planning to use some Marriott hotel points in Venice and in Tuscany (Florence and Lucca). He especially wants to see Venice and some of Tuscany in addition to a couple of days in Florence. I'm alllotting one week to be based in Tuscany to explore the countryside, etc. We will rent a car (actually cheaper than two Eurail passes) and sometimes use rail.

There are a couple of places in Italy I've always wanted to see, and need some help on gauging distances and planning the itinerary:

I have always wanted to see Assisi (am a huge St. Francis geek) and have never made it there. From which major city could we take a day trip there, or are there local tour operators that go there?

His mom's ancestral village is San Martino in the Chieti region of Abruzzo, and we hope to get there as well.

We honeymooned in Alassio on the Ligurian coast about 34 years ago, and would like to go back, even for a day.

I think my husband (who loves boating, fishing and the sea) would also love the Amalfi Coast for a few days. I have never been there.

Finally, although I've been to Rome before, I want to go back, even if for only two or three days. We may be flying in and out of Rome, so I figure we could do our Rome time at the beginning or end of the trip. I realize all this may not be possible to do, but especially want to see Assisi. For him, Venice and time in Tuscany are a must. Thanks for everyone's understanding.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 03:51 PM

I think you have too many destinations covering too much of Italy for 3 weeks. You should think about dropping one or two of the outliers (outliers being Alassio, San Martino, or Amalfi).

Also, consider open jaw flights. Unless you have two use FF miles, the "into and out of Rome" plan is a false economy (you will pay for it in rail or car costs).

Here's one possibility:
Venice (3 or 4 nights) Train to Florence.
Florence (3 nights) Pick up car upon leaving
Umbria (5 nights) Day trip to Assisi. Suggest Umbria because slightly shorter ride to Chieti province, but parts of Tuscany (e.g., Montepulciano area) would work , too.
Lanciano, Chieti province (2 nights) Day trip to San Martino. Check out San Giovanni in Venere, a gorgeous abbey on the coast.
Drop off car in Salerno, then head by bus or other transport to location on Amalfi coast. (4 nights)
Train to Rome (3 nights)

Still a lot of moving around. I have included San Martino on your trip because I, too, visited the Abruzzi region to explore the towns associated with my family. You will find it very rewarding and will recognize the dishes that your husband's family enjoyed and just an Abruzzese way of doing things. I would even consider adding time here for a chance to see a part of Italy that many tourists don't experience.

Also, if you are able to fly into Venice and out of Naples, then you could move Amalfi to end and cut down on backtracking.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Mama has a good start---I definately concur with the open jaw flights. You have time for one coastal destination but not both---I would forget Alassio. Good planning !
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 04:16 PM

Meant to add that, if your husband is interested in fishing, he might enjoy seeing and learning about trabucchi, traditional fishing contraptions found on the Abruzzo (and Molise) coast. Here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabucco

Although I have seen the trabucchi, I have not visited one. Some will offer lunches with freshly caught fish. I think there are tourist agencies that offer visits to the trabucchi. Here is one in the area:

http://www.italiasweetitalia.com/tai...abruzzo-italy/

This is a beautiful area of Italy. In the spring, from lovely Lanciano (a town with ancient Roman origins) you can see the snow capped mountains of the national parks that lie in the Abruzzo. In the distance, lies the Corno Grande, the highest peak on the Italian peninsula. While at San Giovanni in Venere, I was so busy admiring the sea I forgot to look back and notice that the mountains were still in view. Just beautiful!
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Agree that you are spreading yourselves very thin - in terms of getting to so many parts of Italy.

Venice, Florence, Tuscany (and Assisi) and Rome are easy. Adding the AC for a few days is doable but squashing things. But getting to so many other places will be very time-consuming.

And I would not waste time flying in and out of Rome.

Not sure when you are going but depending on time of year I would fly into Naples and fly home from Venice - to avoid a lot of backtracking. Open jaws cost shouldn;t be substantially more.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 01:19 PM

I highly urge you to keep the places in your itinerary that have a great personal meaning for you. The famous places will always be there, and always easy to get to, and some of them now have less of the flavor of Italy than the places people are urging you to skip. Easy for someone else to say "skip revisiting your honeymoon." I think it is a splendid idea.

With more than 3 weeks, you can work out an itinerary that includes a great deal of your wish list.

Off the top of my head, these are some ways to order such a trip:

Fly to Genova (or Milan), train to Alassio 3 nights
Rent car, drive to Lucca 3 nights (day trip to Florence)
Drive to area of southern Tuscany within day trip reach of Assisi
Drive to Chieti (overnight enroute) 3 nights
Drive to Amalfi coast (drop car in Salerno) 4 nights
Rome 5 nights, fly home

or

Venice 3 nights
Florence 4 or 5 nights-- day trips to Lucca and Assisi
Car rental for Tuscany (4 nights, not a week)
Drive to Chieti, with an overnight en route (3 nights in Chieti)
Drive to Amalfi coast (overnight en route) 3 nights Amalfi coast
Rome 4 nights
1 hour flight to Genova, train to Alassio
Fly home from Genova or Milan

Also, you don't need to be a man to be interested in fishing or the trabucchi.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 01:20 PM

oops, forget to stick Venice at the end of the first suggested itinerary. Fly home from Venice
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Of course, you do not need to be a man to be interested in trabucchi. But the OP did say her husband is particularly interested in fishing, hence my recommendation.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Trains here, driving routes on viamichelin

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...005817f90aRCRD
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I think we'll save the Amalfi Coast for another trip. All of your tips have been extremely valuable!