Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy / Naples /Amalfi coast 8 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-naples-amalfi-coast-8-days-1709632/)

UnicornL Aug 13th, 2022 11:34 AM

Italy / Naples /Amalfi coast 8 days

Hello. I will be in Italy last September early October. First part of my trip is planned Umbria/Tuscany area. I was going to go to Naples then to Amalfi coast . I have 8 days. Originally was going to stay in Naples 3 nights and Sorrento 5 . Day trip to Pompeii either from Naples or Sorrento. Thought about a night or two in Capri or Ischia. Any thoughts and input would be appreciated !
thank you

denisea Aug 13th, 2022 11:47 AM

The Amalfi Coast is great in late season.

It would help to have an idea of what you would like to do while there.

Would you be using public transportation to get around? I’d check on any changes to ferry service late in season as that might impact your plans? Would you be planning to stay on Capri or Ischia, or just visit as a daytrip? I know many love staying on Capri because it’s much quieter and enjoyable after the daytrippers leave.

it sounds like you are not considering the actual Amalfi Coast towns like Positano, Amalfi or Ravello…is that correct?

Jean Aug 13th, 2022 03:55 PM

I don't think there are any "wrong" answers. As denisea implied, it depends on your interests, what you want to do/see, etc.

What happens after this part of your itinerary? If you're flying home from Naples, put those Naples nights at the end for easy/quick access to the airport. As you're interested in Pompeii, don't miss the archeology museum in Naples where artifacts found at Pompeii are exhibited.

If anyone here has been to the AC this summer, I think we'd all be interested in hearing how the traffic reduction scheme is going. (Access to the road depends on your license plate... even numbered plates on even dates, odd on odd -- which in theory would impact taxi service, tourists in rented cars.) There was some initial concern about how this would impact bus and ferry ridership. You can't make reservations for the bus, but you can buy ferry tickets in advance.

annw Aug 13th, 2022 09:59 PM

I also recommend visiting AC towns such as Amalfi or Positano and Ravello (uphill from Amalfi). Capri is gorgeous too. Check out Stanley Tucci's CNN series; he did an episode on the AC including Ischia.

We use bus, taxi, and ferries to get around, including to Salerno and Sorrento, though we stay in Ravello, usually a week at a time. We've used a car service to and from Naples train station or airport as well.

IN Naples we mainly wanted to get to the National Archeological Museum, so we stayed at Piazza Bellini Hotel and Apartments, a 5 minute walk from the Museum and in a pleasant neighborhood.

UnicornL Aug 13th, 2022 10:49 PM

Thank you all for all the amazing suggestions and informations . I should of been a bit more specific :) and not so vague!
1. I guess I’d like to know the best city in AC to set a home base for day trips to the other towns. However would be willing to split my time between 2 towns. I want to just meander and soak up the sites and people. Perhaps have a couple “fun” nights meeting new people . Cocktails music a little dancing in the evening :)
Pompeii and capri are all Id really like to see. Perhaps a night in capri .

denisea Aug 14th, 2022 03:10 AM

Well, we loved Positano and I think late in season it would be enjoyable.

While I nearly died climbing the steps of Nocelle (all my fault), I do it again—the views from up there are wonderful and you can then head towards Bomerano on the Path of the Gods.

cocktails overlooking the coast are a favorite memory of ours and our hotel had amazing views. We stayed at Le Sirenuse which is not in expensive but there are many hotels to consider. Hotel Poseidon and Marincanto are other options that come highly recommended. Le Sirenuse has a bar that is more geared for nonguests called Franco’s and it has their same amazing view.

We also stayed a few days at Monastero Santa Rosa—also spectacular views! And sensational spa. It’s quieter, located in Conca dei Marini. The grounds are gorgeous.

we visited Tenuta San Francesco in Tramonti—beautiful winery and no pressure to buy (they will ship of you do) and the tasting came with a multicourse lunch that their family made during our tour —delicious!! We enjoyed every second.

Amalfi is the most central town but I haven’t stayed there.

I’d spend more time on the AC rather than Naples and Sorrento but that’s just me. Maybe 3 days in Sorrento and 5 in Amalfi or Positano.

gentle Aug 14th, 2022 05:46 AM

Naples& Sorrento

I’m showing friends around Italy and we are in Naples end of September, I have booked 2 nights as I love Naples as I have been going for many years , so what I have planned , we arrive by train from Rome stay at a great hotel called Hotel Vergilius Billa 7 minute walk from termini. My plan that day I arrive ,walk up to do the red bus along the coast and get off near the promanade and have lunch , then walk back through the main shopping street Via Toledo, next day do a Walk with Locals , we are doing a cooking class with a local then leave the following day for Sorrento by local train for 5 days doing day trips by boat to Capri, Amalfi & Positano, I like to go one way (boat) and come back by bus. I have been going to Italy for around 16 years and often stay 3/4 months. Good luck you will love it. Two things to remember, good shoes & a good cross bag 🌻🌻