Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy - Movies, websites, to provide background for children?

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would be very grateful if someone could suggest movies or websites that would be appropriate to help us prepare a young teen for a trip to Rome, Florence, and Venice. The tour books are kind of dry and I would like him to visualize the places he is about to see and know some history behind them.
Thank you very much!
Sandy G
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:09 AM

We are going to try to find Roman Holiday, but my son isn't too thrilled about watching such an old movie! Not enough adventure. I imagine my daughter will enjoy it.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:26 AM

mrsgo,

The first time we took our son to Italy he was 11. I had him do a little research online into every town/city that we planned on visiting. His "assignment" was to find a church in each town that we would then visit.
Upon arrival , the first thing that we would do is visit "his"church. He acted as tour guide and told us a little bit about the church, the history and the art. (little being the key word)
It was just enough to get him interested and involved, but not too much that it was overwhelming.
Subsequent trips I had him do the same, and each time he delved a little deeper into the research, with more interest and appreciation.
Hope that helps.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:36 AM

With suitable caution, take your pick...

http://www.movie-locations.com/places/europe/italy.html

Mr Ripley has big chunks filmed here on Ischia, but that's perhaps suited better to an order audience?

Peter
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 05:29 AM

Though its rated R I'd highly recommend Gladiator (Russell Crowe). It is at least a little "historical" and will really make him appreciate Rome. Other movies are filmed in Italy but have less of a historical nature but great way to visualize what he will see. My older teen son liked The Talented Mr. Ripley very much but there is a gay theme so not every younger teen boy may be mature enough to watch (especially if his parents are watching too). Same with Room With a View - I'm stereotyping here but males may not like it as much as females - romantic costume drama with great scenery. Life is Beautiful has great scenes of Arezzo in Tuscany but is mainly a Holocaust film. The Godfather movies are good if you plan to go to Sicily - we really enjoyed watching them all over again when we all went there.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:44 AM

Here's a posting with links to numerous movies, videos, and TV series in or about Italy. Perhaps there a few choices from this selection.

http://tinyurl.com/it-videos