Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy may be introducing a green pass system like France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-may-be-introducing-a-green-pass-system-like-france-1698922/)

hetismij2 Jul 22nd, 2021 08:25 AM

Italy may be introducing a green pass system like France

In the Guardian today a report that Italy will be introducing a similar system to France for admission to museums etc, and possibly also for public transport.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-restrictions

No idea how US or Canadian visitors will be able to get their QR code.

rialtogrl Jul 22nd, 2021 08:39 AM

The article says anybody can get it, so presumably they will figure it out.

hetismij2 Jul 22nd, 2021 12:31 PM

It will be introduced from the 6th of August, It will be needed for museums, cinemas, theatres, swimming pools, events, bars and restaurants inside, but only if you are seated - an espresso at the bar is pass free, as is sitting outside. No word yet on public transport, nor how non EU citizens go about getting the pass.

lrice Jul 23rd, 2021 11:04 AM

This is posted to the Uffizi Gallery's website:
Warning! Access to places of culture is allowed from 6.8.2021 only with the Green pass: click here for info https://www.dgc.gov.it/web/

What about Americans traveling from another country (say, France) into Italy? All a bit unsettling for those of us who have travel starting over the next month or two.

ellen75005 Jul 27th, 2021 02:37 AM

I'm in the same situation as lrice. I'll be in France for the month of October then will fly directly to Italy. I'm watching carefully and hoping that both countries will figure out a way to give fully vaccinated non-EU residents the Green pass/passe sanitaire. Some people (Americans) who have tried to get it after arriving in France have been successful and others haven't.

MinnBeef Jul 27th, 2021 09:37 AM

I leave for Italy Aug. 17th for six nights in Venice (one day trip to Padua) and then 12 nights in Sicily. Have been regularly searching for info on how this pass will work for non Italian citizens but have not found anything yet. So I assume the Italians haven’t figured it out yet. Perhaps it will be like the “green pass” required to enter Italy- I’ll show my CDC card and that will also “count” for museums and restaurants.

For any of us traveling now, you’ve got to stay on top of this stuff by searching AT LEAST daily. Several times per day is better.

progol Jul 27th, 2021 11:23 AM

Hopefully, the Green pass questions will get straightened out and we’ll all be able to travel! Who knows what will happen in a month or 2, given the changes in the pandemic thanks to the Delta variant. It’s all an unknown right now, and we won’t know whether the passes will be formally available to US citizens and other non-EU tourists in France or if the CDC will, in fact, remain our “passport” to travel. Will there be increased restrictions in Europe in the months to come? Uncertainty is the name of the game and I’m coming to understand that things will change frequently for the foreseeable future.

hetismij2 Jul 27th, 2021 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by lrice (Post 17265680)
This is posted to the Uffizi Gallery's website:
Warning! Access to places of culture is allowed from 6.8.2021 only with the Green pass: click here for info https://www.dgc.gov.it/web/

What about Americans traveling from another country (say, France) into Italy? All a bit unsettling for those of us who have travel starting over the next month or two.

If you are travelling from France you can get a pass there on your phone or on paper which will be accepted in Italy. There is another thread on how to get the pass for France.
No doubt somewhere on the Italian government website there is something about getting a pass if you don't have an EU/Italian pass.

Be grateful you can visit Europe. US is still banning us from visiting.

progol Jul 27th, 2021 01:35 PM

Right now (emphasis on now), Italy is saying that the CDC cards will allow US citizens entry. However, it’s unclear what will happen once they enter the country. They are stating that the Italian green passport is only for Italian citizens.

From The Local:
Do I need to obtain an Italian or EU ‘green pass’?No. The Italian ‘green pass’ document is only being issued to people in Italy.

US travellers instead can use equivalent documents issued in the US, such as their CDC vaccination card, and these will be accepted by Italian authorities.

“Those vaccinated in the USA can prove [their vaccination status] via the ‘white card’ bearing a CDC logo,” states the Italian Embassy in Washington.

You can also use a negative test result certificate, or a medical certificate which proves you have recently had and recovered from Covid-19.”

What about the expanded ‘green pass’ once I’m in Italy?

From August 6th, Italy’s extended health pass will become mandatory to visit most venues and cultural sites across the country.

The new rules, unveiled on July 22nd, mean that you’re likely to need the certificate during your stay in Italy as the full list includes museums, galleries, theatres, cinemas, sports stadiums, theme parks, indoor swimming pools, spas, and indoor seating areas at bars and restaurants.

The certificazione verde (green certificate) is available to anyone who has been vaccinated in Italy, including those who have only had the first of two doses.

If you’re coming from the US, however, the documentation you used to enter Italy isn’t currently confirmed to be accepted at venues within Italy once the green pass is more widely required.

Travellers who were vaccinated outside the EU do have one clear way to access the Italian health pass: by getting a coronavirus test in Italy, although this is only valid for 48 hours. Find out how to get tested in Italy here, and learn how to download the green pass using your test number here.

There are rumours in the Italian media that a recognition scheme is being discussed, but nothing has been confirmed so far.”

valgalchi Jul 28th, 2021 04:56 AM

“Those vaccinated in the USA can prove [their vaccination status] via the ‘white card’ bearing a CDC logo,” states the Italian Embassy in Washington.
As someone vaccinated by the health department in Illinois my vaccine card is yellow (and smaller than the white cards I see in pictures). I wonder if they would even accept that? Anyone else have a vaccine card different than the white one shown in news stories?

MinnBeef Jul 28th, 2021 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by progol (Post 17266883)
Right now (emphasis on now), Italy is saying that the CDC cards will allow US citizens entry. However, it’s unclear what will happen once they enter the country. They are stating that the Italian green passport is only for Italian citizens.

From The Local:
Do I need to obtain an Italian or EU ‘green pass’?No. The Italian ‘green pass’ document is only being issued to people in Italy.

US travellers instead can use equivalent documents issued in the US, such as their CDC vaccination card, and these will be accepted by Italian authorities.

You can also use a negative test result certificate, or a medical certificate which proves you have recently had and recovered from Covid-19.”

What about the expanded ‘green pass’ once I’m in Italy?

From August 6th, Italy’s extended health pass will become mandatory to visit most venues and cultural sites across the country.

The new rules, unveiled on July 22nd, mean that you’re likely to need the certificate during your stay in Italy as the full list includes museums, galleries, theatres, cinemas, sports stadiums, theme parks, indoor swimming pools, spas, and indoor seating areas at bars and restaurants.

The certificazione verde (green certificate) is available to anyone who has been vaccinated in Italy, including those who have only had the first of two doses.

If you’re coming from the US, however, the documentation you used to enter Italy isn’t currently confirmed to be accepted at venues within Italy once the green pass is more widely required.

Travellers who were vaccinated outside the EU do have one clear way to access the Italian health pass: by getting a coronavirus test in Italy, although this is only valid for 48 hours. Find out how to get tested in Italy here, and learn how to download the green pass using your test number here.

There are rumours in the Italian media that a recognition scheme is being discussed, but nothing has been confirmed so far.”

Thank you progol. You’ve reached a similar conclusion at this point to what I have, that is, they don’t know at this point or at least are waiting to announce. I guess we’ll just have to keep waiting and checking to see what develops over the next couple of weeks.

lauramsgarden Jul 28th, 2021 05:07 PM

Thanks all, this is all quite confusing, and yet, as was pointed out, we are lucky to be able to travel. We are planning travel to Italy in October, hopefully the process will be clear by then. I tried to download the greenpass to my phone - the app downloaded but won't open so perhaps one needs to be in the EU. I have to admit, I would feel more comfortable with a digital version. The little white card seems so flimsy and unofficial to me. Will definitely follow this discussion. Safe and healthy travels,

lrice Jul 28th, 2021 08:04 PM

Lauramsgarden do you have your CDC card digitally? In LA County, we have an organization that is sending them out via text to put in our Apple Wallets.

progol Jul 29th, 2021 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by lrice (Post 17267307)
Lauramsgarden do you have your CDC card digitally? In LA County, we have an organization that is sending them out via text to put in our Apple Wallets.

Irice, having the CDC card in digital format isn’t really an advantage over the card itself as the EU scanners won’t be able to read the bar code.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and remember that things are in flux!

lauramsgarden Jul 29th, 2021 04:42 AM

Irice, thanks, no we don't. Is it a national group or just for California?