Italy lakes region , where to stay..

Jan 12th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Don

Italy lakes region , where to stay..

Hello , I plan to stay visit Lake como in april .. anyone know what the weather is like then ? Also which town should I choose and hotels ...Bellagio?? I'm planning two days in Milan , 4 days in Lakes area and 4 days in Venice..What do ya think ? Thanks in advance for your advice..
don

Jan 12th, 2001, 05:52 AM
lisa

I think two days in Milan is two days too long...

Jan 12th, 2001, 06:01 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Don, Yes, Bellagio is your best choice, but do not assume all of the hotels will be open. Try the Belvedere first. The weather will be chilly--plan for lows about 45 and highs about 57--just good jacket weather. Plan on some rain.
If you are training then I would stop in Verona for a nite enroute to Venice.

Jan 12th, 2001, 06:02 AM
elvira

Two days in Milan is three days too long.
Bellagio is a beautiful town; if you search this forum, you'll find several hotel recommendations.

Jan 12th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Paige

I was going to say that but didn't want to get slammed for slamming Milan. It's not a bad city, but unless you plan to explore Italy more in the near future, I'd skip it for a more interesting city.

Jan 12th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Heather

I've always just flown in and/or out of Milan and haven't visited, so I can't comment on the 2 days you scheduled there. However, my first trip to Italy was 10 days and we did a jetlagged night in Milan (but no sightseeing), 3 in Florence, 3 in Venice and 3 in Bellagio. Really, your schedule is personal, so if that is how you want to spend your 10 days, it should work out just fine. For our trip, Florence and Venice were givens for us and the last 3 days were open. We had a rental car scheduled and on our last night in Venice when we picked Bellagio off a map (pure luck).

For the weather, so many people here recommend www.wunderground.com, which offers a terrific historical weather section. We were in Bellagio in mid-March and had 75F degrees and blue skies, but we were told that it was unusually warm.

Jan 12th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Rex

Ouch, Elvira!

Milano is no Bellagio for sure, but that was pretty harsh, your looniness!

Some questions I would ask you if I were helping plan an itinerary of this sort...

Have you ever been to Italy before? Are you in search of something different from what you have seen there before? or still seeking the better known highlights? Comfortable driving? Are your dates set in stone? or flexible enough to considerable the broad spectrum of flight options, into and out of northern Italy?

Some considerations: an open-jaw flight plan makes it uncessary to waste time "closing the loop back up" to get home.

There are some lesser known small airports in northern Italy that connect through London (and other cities in Europe) that can be worthwhile. For example, consider arriving or departing Bergamo Orio al Serio (BGY) - - a "co-terminal" (in airline speak) with Malpensa or Linate; flights connect to Paris, Brussels, London (I think) and not sure where else. Similarly, note that Venice has a second (less close) smaller airport, called Treviso; Ryanair flies there, for example.

Bergamo looked very, very cool to me on a brief buzzthrough there last year. I want to go back. Milan DOES have much to recommend it, in my opinion, but one of its problems is a lack of affordable (to say nothing of memorable) places to stay. Still, I think that Elvira puts the ideal length-of-stay in Milan way too short at -24 hours; somewhere between 4 and 36 hours would suit my taste.

For a simlar reason (bad ratio of price to enjoyment on lodging), I would not personally stay 4 nights in Venice; two for sure, maybe three - - but there are other intriguing options that allow you to sleep more cheaply (and well) the night before your arrival in Venice or the evening of your departure there. While I would never advocate "day-tripping" into Venice, I do think that a stay there ought to arrive in the morning, and depart in the late afternoon, to get the best "dose" of Venice at the lowest reasonable lodging cost (this is true of other expensive cities as well).

And last of all, while Bellagio is indeed a (the?) Cadillac of Lake Como, I would stay again in Menaggio, especially for the ability to get easily up and down the western coastline (Cernobbio, Villa Balbianello, Tremezzo and more). depending on what you are spending on hotel costs for your Lake Como stay, this IS one place that might be worth a FULL four nights - - in April, I find it hard to believe that you won't have at least SOME nice weather in any given four day span.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 12th, 2001, 10:24 AM
howard

Obviously, I'm in the minority, but ther is a lot to see in Milan. True, it can't hold a candle to Rome, Florence of Venice, but consider this:
*Its Duomo is magnificent--the largest in Italy and third largest in the world. A spectacular site inside and out.
*Nothing can match LaScala--both in physical beauty and quality of opera performance in Italy.
*Via Manzoni and its surrounding streets comprise THE fashion capitol of the world.
And there's a lot more. Don, at least give it a day!
Elvira, so it's not Paris--but what city is?
As for the Lake Como area, I agree about Bellagio. Try the Hotel Belevedere there. (I'm not at my office/residence now, but when I return I'll post its website and email address--unless someone does it before I get back.) It's not only a beautiful town, but, thanks to the ferries, a convenient spot for reaching the other scenic spots on the lake.

Jan 12th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Tony Hughes

I loved Milan! Couple of days there is fine.

Bellagio is very small and a very nice place to visit and/or stay.

Jan 12th, 2001, 03:12 PM
howard

Here's the promised info on the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio:
Email: [email protected]
Thank you, Tony, for your concurrence about Milan!

Jan 12th, 2001, 03:52 PM
elvira

We went to La Scala for a violin/piano concert (no operas were scheduled when we were there) and thoroughly enjoyed it. We saw the Last Supper, which was as awe-inspiring as the Sistine Chapel or the Mona Lisa (I spent 30 minutes trying to match up the feet to the Apostles, as I'd read they don't). We went to the da Vinci museum, and enjoyed that (it's in with the Naval Museum, which was interesting). We went to the Navigli (spelling is wrong, I'm sure) area, and liked that (artsy area, the canal was designed by da Vinci). In between, the city was dreadful. Everything covered in graffiti; smaller parks and monuments were dirty and litter-strewn - and it had been there for a long time. The Galleria and via Montenapoleone had nice stores, but nothing I can't find at an upscale mall in the U.S. The worst was trying to find something to eat - restaurants were few and far between (the ones we found were excellent, but we had to search); a friend from work who'd been there just about the same time we were commented on the same thing - where's the food? And, yes, the Duomo is pretty, but there are churches more magnificent in other cities.
Unlike Paris or London or Rome - and many other cities - which are interesting in between the major sights, Milan was depressing and sad. We walk everywhere when we travel, and not one of the Loons went "ooh look at that!" during our week in Milan. The comment from NewGirl2 summed it up, after we'd walked 6 blocks to find a restaurant for dinner "these people must spend all their money on spray paint and fur coats".
I do have to add - the Milanese we met were very nice. We'd been told they were aloof, but that's not what we experienced.

Jan 12th, 2001, 03:54 PM
wendy

Don't listen to them. Milan is a varied, beautiful and interesting city. I liked it more than Florence.

Jan 12th, 2001, 03:58 PM
wendy

Oh, about food, try eating in one of those cafeterias for lunch. Yum yum. I went ooooh at the Castello Sforezco, especially at the exit to the park. Moral of the story, you may like Milan and you may not.

Jan 13th, 2001, 06:06 AM
howard

I don't want to turn this into a debate about the merits of Milan, but I can't let some of Elvira's comments pass. If not ludicrous, some are least laughable. For example, in discussing shopping in Milan, we have the comment, "....but nothing I can't find in an upscale mall in the U.S." I come from New York, and not even Fifth Avenue or Madison Avenue shops can collective match the Via Manzoni area. Hey, Milan is the fashion capital of the world. What more do you want? Further, the adjacent Lake Como area is the second largest silk-producing area in the world (China is first). You should have at least bought a silk scarf and/or tie or two!
Then, there's the comment, "Everything is covered with graffiti." I found Rome to be the most "grafittied" city I've ever seen, by far. But, it didn't take away the magnificent of that great city.
And finally, to respond to her comment, "We walked everywhere when we traveled and not one of the Loons went 'ooh look at that!' during our week in Milan. The comment from NewGirl2 [whomever she might be!] summed it up, after we'd walked 6 blocks to find a restaurant for dinner, 'these people must spend all their money on spray paint and fur coats.'"
First of all, some of you experience in previous posts left me with a ho-hum feeling. Second, we had no problem finding restaurants. And, third, what the helll does NewGirl2 mean?
No, Milan can't rank with Rome, Florence or Venice, but you're missing out on some treasures if you don't visit and enjoy this destination.

Jan 13th, 2001, 11:52 AM
dayle

A day in Milan was enough for me, but it does have some great sights. Note: the metro closes at 7PM! We found this out the hard way & were amazed! Our hotel was the Antica Locanda dei Mercanti on a quiet ped only side street in the hostoric center. Very nice and the beds were voted most comfortable.

Jan 13th, 2001, 03:18 PM
don

Thanks , you guys are great , the info you gave is very helpful .. I will skip milan and head straight to bellagio ..I like the natural beauty of mountains lakes etc better anyway. Yes i have travelled Italy on several other trips , but this is my first to the north...thanks again , don