Reload this Page >

Europe Tour Paris - Venice - Florence - Rome

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!
Me and my girlfriend are planning our first Eurotrip. We will get in by early September and stay for 15 days.
The tentative schedule is as follows (all currency is in Euros):
Fly to PARIS (Stay 5 days) Daily budget: 100 lodging and 50 for meals.
Fly to VENICE (Stay 2 days) Daily budget: 100 lodging and 50 for meals.
Train to FLORENCE (Stay 3 days) Daily budget: 100 lodging and 50 for meals.
Train to ROME (Stay 5 days) Daily budget: 100 lodging and 50 for meals.
Fly out.
We have selected the major landmarks for each city that we want to visit and the average is 3 per day, we don't want to be on a rush at all times.
Please let me know your thoughts about the number of days per city, and about the daily budgets. I've read that furnished departments are a smart choice for 5 day stays (Paris & Rome) let me know if you agree? Also, do you recommend to travel by rail during the day or at night?
THANK YOU
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM

First off, early September is high season at all or your destinations, so you need to book your accommodations as soon as possible, adjusting your budget accordingly. An apartment would be fine, but not for a first visit.

50€/day for meals for two will limit your choices on where you can eat. Remember, wine, by the glass or bottle, is cheaper than a soft drink, and order house water, not bottled water.

Europe uses a high-speed rail system on medium and long distance routes, traveling during the day is much more enjoyable (http://www.trenitalia.com)
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Robert2533, I appreciate your comments. Wine it is!!
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 11:51 AM

If I understand correctly, the daily figures are totals for both of you.

If so, getting accommodations in those places in early Sep. for 100 euros will be extremely difficult. An apartment is a good alternative, especially since you can save on food costs by preparing your own, but I can't imagine getting anything decent for 500 euros/5days. In fact, I'm dying to read subsequent posts to see the recommendations for lodging.

Fifty euros total per day for food? Get accustomed to standing while eating.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM

You can try staying in convents in Italy or hostels in both Italy and Paris. Look for lodging away from the city centers to save money.

In Italy, hotels usually offer included breakfasts but it's mostly coffee and bread, especially in your budget range. Your food budget is very limited and you won't be able to afford to sit in cafes unless you linger over a small black coffee. You can buy food in supermarkets and make your own feasts. That's why apartments are a good idea - they allow you to save on food costs.

The number of days in each location looks good. As to the budget - have you factored in local transportation (buses/metro) and sightseeing expenses which can add up.

<< Also, do you recommend to travel by rail during the day or at night? >>

Your only 2 train trips are Venice to Florence and then to Rome. There is no night train service on this route because the cities are so close together.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Ok, it seems like I will have to increase my budgets... will 150 for accomodation and 75 for meals work better? I believe we can do that
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 02:32 PM

You can find hotel accommodation for 100E/nt for 2 people in those cities, though Venice might be the toughest. You just may have to make some trade-offs. Use booking.com and select the price range you need.