Reload this Page >

Italy itinerary in August -- advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:01 AM
awbaker

This will be the first time to Italy for my husband and me. Last week we were set on:

Venice -- 3 nights
train to Florence; rent car; drive to Siena or Montalcino

Tuscany -- 3 nights
drive to Orvieto; drop off car; train to Salerno; bus or driver to Positano

Positano -- 3 nights
ferry to Capri

Capri -- 2 nights
ferry to Naples; train to Rome

Rome -- 3 nights

I am interested in the Tuscan countryside, hill towns and vineyards, and not as interested in Florence (I know this is a favorite city here -- please don't hold this against me!)

After reviewing the logistics of traveling to Tuscany, then to the amalfi coast by car, train, then bus or private driver, my husband and I started thinking it was too hectic to fit Tuscany into our trip. Our new itinerary is:

Venice -- 4 nights
fly to Naples in the morning; train to Pompei, then train to Sorrento
Sorrento -- 1 night
Positano -- 4 nights
Capri -- 2 nights
Rome -- 3 nights

Now my sister-in-law says we are making a big mistake not going to Tuscany, and that there is not enough for us to do for 4 nights in Positano. We do like to explore, and we both have a difficult time just relaxing by a pool. HELP! Is there an easier way to fit Tuscany into the itinerary, or should we just make that the next vacation destination?

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:21 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Why not stick with your original itinerary and pick up the car in Venice and drop it off in Sorrento, Salerno or Positano?

If you drop off in Sorrento you can take the bus to Positano.

If you drop off in Salerno you can take the ferry to Positano.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM
awbaker

Hi Ira,

My husband was wary of so much driving. He was hoping to relax on the train. I thought of driving from Tuscany to Salerno or Sorrento, but he says someone has told him that driving in Italy during August is absolutely insane with all the traffic. Is this true? I'm hoping you will disagree!

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM
awbaker

Ira --
Thought I had posted a 2nd message to you, but it didn't work. If it shows up later, my apologies.

I relayed your advice to my husband, and he actually seemed more interested in the idea of renting the car in Venice, driving through Tuscany, then dropping off car on the amalfi coast. But we are still concerned with the logistics of driving in Italy, especially in the summer. Do you, or does anyone have experience with this? Is there too much traffic, especially with getting around Rome, and, secondly, are road signs clearly marked?

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM

I agree with Ira--your first itinerary is better. And, driving is not bad as long as you stay out of the major cities. I would drive to Salerno and drop there. It is all autostrada.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM

I totally agree with Bob and Ira.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM

If you are concerned about driving, you can take trains from Venice to Florence, from Florence to Rome and from Rome to Naples. From Naples, you can hire a driver to take you to Positano and then back to Naples airport.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:47 PM

We have driven in Italy in August, and it wasn't a problem. The autostradas are comparable to US interstates-- good multi-lane roads highways that are well-marked, with very nice service plazas.

The food at the service plazas is way better in Italy, though!

I do recommend getting good maps. The Michelin ones are excellent.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:21 PM
awbaker

Thanks for the info. I kind of have a bee in my bonnet to see Tuscany, so we'll probably go back to original itinerary.

Marcy, did you drive in the Naples/amalfi coast area?

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:38 PM

No, we haven't driven in the Naples/ Amalfi coast area yet, but we're planning to do it in September.

The advice was definitely mixed from this forum as far as whether or not it's a good idea, but we decided to give it a try, because we like the freedom of having a car, and my husband has enjoyed driving in Italy so far.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM
ira

Hi Aw,

Others have given you very good advice.

I suggest that you not drive between Naples and Salerno. The Amalfi Coast road is a 2 lane road in which buses can just pass each other if they know where to stop and let the other guy by. It gets *clogged* during the season.

The side roads are much smaller and not on all maps.

Drop your car off and leave the driving to the pros.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM

I don't see Florence on your list, you're making a big mistake. Suggest you stay in Florence, look up Hotel Pendini, two days, rent a car and drive through the Tuscany region and stay a night or two in one of the many hill top stone walled city. Their magical. Drive into Rome and drop the car off at the train terminal and take a taxi to your hotel. You don't need a car in Rome.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:49 AM
awbaker

Thanks everyone.

Ok, Tuscany is back on our itinerary after your advice, and several friends & family member's advice.

Since it sounds like driving in amalfi will not be easy, would it make sense to drop off the car in Orvieto, then train to Salerno? Or would it be easier to drop off in Rome, then train to Salerno. Or should we continue onto Naples? I have no idea if the car rental places are anywhere near the train stations in Orvieto or Rome. And if we drive to Naples, do you suggest we have a driver meet us, or is there a boat we could take directly to Positano?

These logistics are driving me crazy, and I can't find the answers in my guidebooks. You all are really helping us out. Thank you.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi aw,

Orvieto is a little town; the drop off is not far from the train station.

You could also drop off your car in Florence.

If you train to Salerno (4 hr from Orvieto), you can take the ferry to Positano. This is easier than going from Naples to Positano, as the ferry dock is only about 6 min walk from the train station.

Last season's scedule for the ferry was

Salerno (P.zza della Concordia) ? Positano:
08,40 ? 09,40 - 11,30 ? 14,10 ? 15,30

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:26 AM
awbaker

Thank you so much, Ira. This is exactly the information I needed.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:31 AM

I made the trip from Rome to Positano last fall, and we sort of winged it. Big mistake. The train from Rome to Salerno was easy, but then our plan was to take a boat from Salerno to Positano. It was a nice day and we decided to walk towards the sea. Bigger mistake. The port is nowhere near the train station, and is not visible to the average tourist. The area looks more like a ship yard with armed guards. When we finally located the ferry station he told us the ferry was running "Next," as in tomorrow. We hauled ourselves back up to the train station to get on the regional bus. The bus ride took a couple hours, plus you have to transfer buses in Amalfi. With that said I still wouldn't have wanted to drive on that road. There were a few times where our bus met another, and one bus had to back up down the hill. We finally arrived in Positano, but used up almost an entire day doing so.

We experienced the almost worst case travelling, but we are a lot wiser for it. Plus, the reward of being Positano was worth the whole experience! If you go to Salerno, and plan on travelling by ferry, make sure you know the schedule. They should be a lot more prevelant in August. And definitely take a cab from the train station to the ship yard.

Planning the logistics can seem overwhelming, but you'll be so happy you did when you're there. Plus, it's only the end of March. You still have the luxury of time.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:11 AM
awbaker

Candert, that is exactly what we were nervous about. Thanks for the advice about a cab to the ferry. The day we leave Tuscany to get to Positano will probably be the most hectic travel day of the trip since we have to return rental car in time to make the train, switch trains in Rome, cab to ferry in Salerno, ferry to Positano. As much as I would like to arrive by boat, I may just splurge for a driver to pick us up at the Salerno train station. Although, we still have to contend with traffic on the coastline. Still, I'd rather have a hectic day like this in Italy, than be at home doing housework!

I do have the luxury of time... I'm sure this works to my advantage, but it also is maddening. I keep second-guessing my decisions. Still, I love being able to savor the time before our travels.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Ira, Of course I meant the autostrada to Salerno--it is a straight shot and fast. You must have thought I was nuts.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:30 AM
awbaker

Ok, Bob. So does this mean we could drop off the car in Salerno, and still avoid the 2 lane roads between Naples and Salerno? Please excuse my ignorance re: the autostrada. Does it do through, or close to Salerno? I looked at the autostrada web site, but it still seems confusing to me.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:46 AM

AWBaker - If you do have the car, I'd agree with Bob, and recommend that you just drive to Salerno. There is really no reason to add the extra step of dropping off the car in Rome to get a train.

On our trip we met my inlaws in Positano. They choose to splurge on the driver, and were quite happy with it. But if I did it again I would still try and take the ferry. The coast line is so beautiful, and you'd get a glimsp all the other towns on your way. In August the ferry schedule looks to be a lot more frequent then September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -