Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Itinerary Help (Venice, Florence and Rome) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-itinerary-help-venice-florence-and-rome-1210373/)

Unicorne Mar 2nd, 2017 10:51 PM

Italy Itinerary Help (Venice, Florence and Rome)

Hi Everyone,

Need your valuable feedback. In the middle of booking train tickets and hotel bookings. I am confused with the Italian part of the itinerary.

DAY 13 Venice (Arrive from Paris, overnight train will reach around 10 am)
DAY 14 Venice (Full day)
DAY 15 Venice (Leave in the morning and arrive in Florence in the afternoon)
DAY 15 Florence (Arrive in the afternoon, head to Pisa)
DAY 16 Florence (Full day)
DAY 17 Florence (Leave in the morning and arrive in Rome in the afternoon)
DAY 17 Rome (Half day)
DAY 18 Rome (Full day)
DAY 19 Rome (Full day)
DAY 20 Rome (Full day)
DAY 21 Rome (Full day)
DAY 22 Rome (Fly back home -Flight leaves at 3.15pm, so I will have few hours in the morning to sight see)

Should I add one more day to Florence and cut one from Rome or Venice? Since I will be arriving in Venice in the morning I will have nearly more than half a day to sight see. Also I can leave Venice a little later in the afternoon.

What do guys think?

Thanks in advance for your valuable feedback!

WoinParis Mar 2nd, 2017 11:22 PM

DAY 15 Florence (Arrive in the afternoon, head to Pisa)

Why ? I takes away valuable time and Pisa has not much to offer except a postcard with the tower.

Unicorne Mar 3rd, 2017 01:36 AM

Always wanted to see Pisa. :/ I may never go back to Italy

FuryFluffy Mar 3rd, 2017 03:13 AM

Okay, if you want to see Pisa then it's not far away, but you'll have very little time left in Florence. It depends on what you want to do in Florence. If you want to go to at least one art gallery (Academia or Uffizi) then you should add time to Florence. Day 17 you can leave Florence in the afternoon. Or you can stay the whole day 17 in Florence.

tonfromleiden Mar 3rd, 2017 04:15 AM

Shift one Rome day to Florence, and have a stop in Lucca on the way to (or from) Pisa. The tower might be less impressive than imagined, but one wants to have seen it. The Battistero and the Duomo are wonderful. Lucca is a nice city and is easily combined.
In Florence don't forget to visit the church of Santa Maria Novella. It has wonderful series of frescoes, such as in the Tornabuoni Chapel. And it is very well worth to get a ticket for the Battistero, in front of the cathedral.

Unicorne Mar 3rd, 2017 04:37 AM

Thank you FuryFluffy & tonfromleiden.

Okay so it is definitely better to add a day to Florence. I will have to shift one day from Rome to Florence then.

I was hoping you guys will say cut a day from Venice :P

Unicorne Mar 3rd, 2017 04:40 AM

tonfromleiden

Thanks for suggesting Lucca. Will go for it if time permits.

Santa Maria Novella looks beautiful. Will include this in places to visit.

FuryFluffy Mar 3rd, 2017 04:48 AM

>> I was hoping you guys will say cut a day from Venice

Are you kidding me? (Yes I know you were joking ^^ )
Venice is, for me and many others, the most beautiful town on earth. And you originally have only 1 full day for Venice.

jamikins Mar 3rd, 2017 05:56 AM

If you don't want to even spend 1 full day in Venice why don't you skip it and add the time to places you actually want to see?

Unicorne Mar 3rd, 2017 07:04 AM

FuryFluffy, since I am going early July I hope the the crowd will not ruin the beauty of Venice.

jamikins, though I am not super excited to visit Venice it is my better half's bucket list. :)

FuryFluffy Mar 3rd, 2017 07:24 AM

Unicorne: there's a corner of Venice for everyone. If you want absolute serenity, then wake up at 4am like I did and browse the empty street of Venice.

Unicorne Mar 3rd, 2017 07:31 AM

FuryFluffy Great suggestion! I like to rise early.

StCirq Mar 3rd, 2017 07:32 AM

I just can't see suffering through an overnight train to spend less time in Venice than you will on the train. And don't kid yourself about the crowds "because it's early July" LOL! You won't even have time to get your bearings in Venice before it will be time to take off again. I don't see the point of bothering with it, frankly. A lot of expense and travel for virtually no gain.