Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Itinerary help... I have 2 days to play with! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-itinerary-help-i-have-2-days-to-play-with-505409/)

hlocke1 Feb 19th, 2005 06:48 PM

Italy Itinerary help... I have 2 days to play with!

Hello all --

We are planning a return trip to Italy for 12 nights this summer. We have 2 nights to play with and don't know if we should add a 4th destination or add to what we have. Comments would be appreciated:

Day 1: Fly into Rome
Day 2: Rome
Day 3: Rome
Day 4: Positano
Day 5: Positano
Day 6: Positano
Day 7: Positano
Day 8: ?
Day 9: ?
Day 10: Venice
Day 11: Venice
Day 12: Venice
Day 13: Fly out of Venice. =(

I should note: We explored Tuscany (including Florence) and the 5T last year, so we're moving onto the Amalfi Coast. Also, trying to avoid renting a car b/c of the cost associated w/it. Also, we adore Venice and refuse to cut it out (and are open to adding days!).

Thanks in advance!
Heather.

Doble_Vergasser Feb 19th, 2005 06:57 PM

You should consider the Lakes (Como and Garda). They're near Venice.

beanweb24 Feb 20th, 2005 04:44 AM

What about somewhere in Umbria? Perugia, Assissi... Umbria region would be about halfway between Naples and Venice.

Matrexx Feb 20th, 2005 05:11 AM

While you're in the Amalfi Coast area why not a day trip to Capri and another to Pompeii / Herculeneum / Vesuvius.

These are two site you should not miss and should make a point of visiting while in the area.

hlocke1 Feb 20th, 2005 05:20 AM

Matrexx -- We are planning day trips from Positano (Capri and Amalfi, I'm thinking). Do I need extra nights there to see everything, though? Or is 4 nights enough?

Thanks!
Heather.

sh489 Feb 20th, 2005 06:14 AM

If you do Perugia and Assis, good place to stay is Arezzol Hotel Continental is very accomodating. But you cannot forget to go see Orvieto - absolutley precious! Gorgeous duomo, lots of handpainter pottery. Closer to Venice we LOVE Verona! Have fun!

travelphile Feb 20th, 2005 07:14 AM

The lakes are my vote. I spent 4 nights on Lake Garda in June of 2002, and it is quite a relaxing, eye-catching place. Now, from my research Garda is not the best choice lake for having no car, so it might not be the lake you should choose.

I believe Como is, as there are many forms of transportation from Milan, and a wonderful ferry/hydrofoil systems serves the lake. What a nice dilemma!

Pawleys Feb 20th, 2005 07:16 AM

Hlocke1, Include Ravello the day you go to Amalfi. I would try to go by boat to Amalfi then bus to Ravello. You could see Pompeii on your way to Positano. If you're in to hiking you could hike up to Montepertuso for lunch.I think you could do all of this in the 4 days you have planned. I'm with several other posters who suggested breaking your trip in Umbria, i.e. Assisi or Orvieto or stay somewhere else closer to Venice.

allanc Feb 20th, 2005 07:43 AM

I would go with the Lakes...complete opposite to the rest of your trip. Truly beautiful.

cmt Feb 20th, 2005 07:53 AM

I second the suggestion for someplace in Umbria.

awbaker Feb 20th, 2005 09:08 AM

I did your itinerary but in reverse order last summer! We spent those 2 extra days in Capri, and I didn't think 6 days on the Amalfi Coast was too much at all.

I would recommend either spending the 2 nights in either Ravello or Capri, THEN fly from Naples to Venice to save some time. Fares are not much more than the train, but allow you more time at your destination.

ira Feb 20th, 2005 10:18 AM

Hi h,

You could do 2 days and a night in Naples, you could add a day each to Positano and Venice.

Good daytrips from Positano include, Naples, Mt Vesuviuus, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi and Ravello, Paestum.

tuscanlifeedit Feb 20th, 2005 07:15 PM

I second awbaker's suggestion. I don't know which place I would choose, but maybe Ravello as a smaller town.

hlocke1 Feb 22nd, 2005 05:59 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input - it was very helpful. We've decided to insert 2 nights in Orvieto to start the trip towards Venice. Loved the idea to fly from Naples, but don't think our budget will allow it... =)

Thanks again!
-- h.

Patrick Feb 22nd, 2005 06:09 AM

Add those two nights to the Amalfi area. Don't do Capri with the millions of others as a day tripper -- stay there a night or two and relax a bit. Or stay two nights on Ischia, or Procida, or in Naples, or in Ravello, or in Sorrento. Four nights in Positano and trying to see all there is to see on the Amalfi coast, including Pompei, doesn't sound very logical to me! Make the trip to Amalfi worth something.

I'm guessing you're going to try to fly from Naples to Venice? Good idea.

ira Feb 22nd, 2005 06:10 AM

Hi H,

You can fly Naples to Venice for as little as 9E + tax on http://www.alpieagles.com/

((I))

hlocke1 Feb 22nd, 2005 08:33 AM

Ira -- Thanks for the tip. I'll check into it. I had only looked briefly at a different site and the flights seemed too pricey. Just out of curiosity, do you feel like a couple of nights in Orvieto wouldn't be worth it?

Patrick -- We are only planning 2 day trips, so logic hasn't escaped us. That would be too much for us. We're hoping to relax more than anything! =)

Mimar Feb 22nd, 2005 08:42 AM

Regarding Orvieto, it's probably to best place in Tuscany/Umbria for the carless. We made a day trip to Orvieto, stayed for maybe 4 hours, and that was enough. Actually I think the view of Orvieto from afar is the most striking thing about it. It's on a mesa-like volcanic extrusion from the plain.

You're not staying very long in Rome, but I assume you've been there before. I think I might vote for Lago di Garda.

hlocke1 Feb 22nd, 2005 08:47 AM

Hi Mimar -- Thanks for the info. You are correct, I have been to Rome. My husband has not, however. I'm hoping 4 days will be enough for us, but am a bit worried that it won't be. We aren't the type of travelers that have to see everything at least... Any further advice would be appreciated! =)

awbaker Feb 23rd, 2005 03:17 AM

I think you are underestimating how much time it takes to change locations -- packing up, checking out, getting to a train station, waiting for the train, actual train time, getting to new location, checking-in, unpacking... These things eat up at least half a day if not more (depending on how far you have to travel AND it is also very dependent on whether all things go smoothly.)

Even in Rome, you state that you have 4 days to see it, but when I look at your itinerary, factoring in arriving/checking-in/unpacking AND THEN packing/checking-out/going to Positano, you really only have 3 days there.

Keep checking airfares for Naples/Venice routes. We flew Alitalia, which seemed to be the priciest, but Alpi Eagles, which Ira mentioned, has fares in line with OR cheaper than the train fares. Even our fare was not much more than taking the train.

You mention to Patrick that "We're hoping to relax more than anything!" -- and to Ira that "We aren't the type of travelers that have to see everything at least..." In light of this, I think you should add days to the existing cities, rather than add on Orvieto. Then, start planning a trip solely dedicated to Umbria/Tuscany for next year!!!