Italy itinerary for review - Help!!! :)

May 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Italy itinerary for review - Help!!! :)

My husband and I are going to Italy in June, and will be there for 10 nights. We've got our rental car all booked up, and are in the middle of trying to plan our itinerary, but neither of us has been there before, so I just want some feedback into whether what we have come up with is feasible.

So here we go:

2 nights - Amalfi Coast
2 nights - Rome
2 nights - Terni (Umbria)
2 nights - Siena (Tuscany)
2 nights - Florence

Has anyone done anything similar to this? how did it work out? Should I skip anything, or add anything to this? Thanks!
May 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM

I would delete at least one hotel change if not two, and stay in at most three different places over ten nights. Even when your destinations aree close to one another, it takes a lot of time to check in and out of hotels and change from city to city.
May 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM

I agree with ellenem. Apart from that, there's no point in having a car in Rome and Florence. So would it save money to put Rome and Florence at the end, and get rid of your car before that?
May 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Having the rental car while in Rome and Florence is problematic, so try to avoid that.

Also, Terni is not a good location for Umbria - most of the interests are considerably north of there.

As ellenem suggested, I'd reduce the number of stops to a maximum of three.
May 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Hi cowbell,

I would recommend fewer destinations. It's really not worth the travel time to go to Amalfi Coast for only 2 nights.

What are your arrival and departure cities?

I would - Fly into Rome, train to Florence

3 nts Florence
bus to Siena, visit, pick up car at departure

3 nts Umbria, drop car a Foligno or Orvieto, train to Rome

4 nts Rome, fly home

You'll be back for more another time!
Buon viaggio
May 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Where do you arrive and depart--all the difference?
I see 3 destinations in 10 days. Skip Umbria for now and have one destination in Tuscany. Assuming Rome departure, I would do this:
Arrive Rome to AC---3
Train to Florence--day trip to Siena---3[or vice versa]
Rome---4
You do not need a car unless you stay in Siena and day trip from there.
May 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

I'll be flying in and out of Rome. Skipping the Terni portion or omitting it is not really an option as this is where my family is from, and there are people to meet, and sights to see here. I figure I can day trip from Terni to Orvieto, Perugia, Assisi, Gubbio etc (whichever we figure we'll want to see really!) Is it worth it to have a couple extra nights in Terni, and take the train to and from Rome instead of driving and staying there? Is it worth it to do Florence as day trips from Siena as well?
May 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM

One of our points is that with all these changes of hotels you will use up half the day making the change and not have time for the daytrips you hope to have.

For the Florence/Siena part, yes, it's easy enough to choose one and daytrip to the other via frequent bus service.

Since Terni is so important to you, give it more time. I suggest
3 nights Florence/Siena
3 nights Terni
4 nights Rome
May 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM

>> Is it worth it to have a couple extra nights in Terni? << YES.

>> I figure I can day trip from Terni to Orvieto, Perugia, Assisi, Gubbio etc << I think this is a good plan, tho Gubbio might be a bit far.

If this were my trip, I'd spend 5 nights in Terni, visit with family and do those various day-trips, and then 5 nights in Rome - staying there and not driving or training in from Terni. I'd skip Siena and Florence (and the Amalfi Coast) this time - I'd save them for another trip.

May 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM
ira

Hi MC,

>Is it worth it to have a couple extra nights in Terni,

You are going to a small town in Italy to see family and you will only spend 2 nights?

I agree with 5 nights.

Visit Siena from Terni.

You can the do another 5 nights split as:

Venice 3, Florence 2
Florence 2, Rome 3
Rome.

Leave the Amalfi Coast for your next visit.

May 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM

I agree with TuckH's suggestion of 5 nights Terni and 5 nights Rome.
May 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Wow. We're a long way from your initial itinerary.

I agree with reducing the number of hotel changes and the dropping of Amalfi Coast from this trip. But I won't presume to know how much time you want/should devote to family in Terni. That's your call. With 10 nights, though, I'd pick no more than 3 hotels/bases.

For a little perspective on day trips from Terni, here are some estimated one-way driving times per Viamichelin.com:

Terni to Siena: 2.25 hours
Terni to Florence: 2.5 hours
Terni to Gubbio: 1.75 hours
Terni to Perugia: 1.5 hours
Terni to Assisi: 1.25 hours
Terni to Orvieto: 1 hour
Terni to Todi: 45 minutes

The train to Perugia would take the same amount of time and be less stressful than driving, but I wouldn't recommend going to Perugia on this short trip.

The train to Orvieto would also take the same amount of time as driving and would be very easy.