Reload this Page >

Italy Itinerary for family of three

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:40 PM
John

I am planning a trip to Italy for my family for next June (2003). It will be my wife and myself and our 10-year old son. It will the the first time for any of us in Italy; my wife and I spent 10 days in France three years ago. We are planning to fly into Venice (for three nights), take a train to Florence (four nights), and take a train to Rome (five nights). We will return to the US from Rome. We will likely try to daytrip to Pisa from Florence, and to Pompeii from Rome. I currently have reservations at Hotel Galleria (Venice), Soggiorno Battistero (Florence), and Hotel Parlamento (Rome). I would welcome any comments of this itinerary, and in particular would like to know of specific things a 10 year old boy would like and/or dislike on a trip like this.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.<BR><BR>John<BR>Tennessee, USA

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Rex

You already have a great framework.<BR><BR>With five days in Rome, I wonder about removing one and shooting on past to the Pompeei area - - so that you have time for Pompeii and Caserta. I don't know for sure how appealing it is, but it was the location for certain fliming of one of the Star Wars prequels (the most recent one, I think).<BR><BR>Then you could head back to Rome for your one day shorter stay there.<BR><BR>Sorry to say, I don't know any hotels to recommend in that area for an overnighter.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 04:40 PM
mjs

We did somnething like this two years ago. The differnce was less time in Florence as I did not think that my children would enjoy the art etc. in Florence that much.<BR>We did however go to Pompei and stayed overnight in Sorrento which we all enjoyed. Highly recommend you hire guides for perhaps a half day or so in each city as I believe it helps the family enjoy it more. This is especially true for Pompeii.<BR>We are returning to Italy in two weeks for Florence and Tuscany and may have other thoughts afterwards. Have a good trip. Your son is at a good age to travel and will have a good time no matter what you do.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Ira

Hi John<BR> May I suggest that your day trip to Pisa start as a trip to Lucca then on to Pisa and return to Florence?<BR><BR> You might also want to consider reducing Venice by one nightand adding it to Florenceso that you can take a day trip to Siena.<BR><BR> I suggest this only because you are taking your son with you. I think that he is young for an extended stay in Venice.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Bill

Kids not like Venice? Kids love Venice. The absence of cars makes Venice a great equalizer for everyone on foot, which is everyone. And kids and adults can find equal pleasure in that pleasant feeling of being slightly penned into a funhouse maze and trying to find your way back to home base.<BR><BR>The Doges Palace over the Uffizi for a ten year old any day!<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:38 PM
mjs

I'm 11 years old and was in Venice two years ago. I found it to be very nice, although there was alot of water. Venice is a lovely city. I believe that we are going back to Venice this year on our trip to Italy and France. I believe that a 10 year old child would enjoy the shops along the streets of Venice. There are all sorts of things that I found fun in them. Boat rides would be another thing to do with a 10 year old child. Going to museums and church is not very fun. Churchs and museums can be sort of boring, and require people to be quiet, which can sometimes be hard for children. The pigeons were neat. &quot;So says my daughter&quot; We are up late with a power failure.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:56 PM
TomEdison

How does your computer run without power? Do you have generators?

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Leslie

John - we took our two children on a similar trip last year. One was 10, the other 12. They positively loved Rome and Venice and found Florence to be less interesting, though I'm sure this depends on the child. Mine don't have much patience for many cathedrals or art museums, though they loved Michelangelo's David in Florence and the Sistine Chapel in Rome.<BR><BR>They both said the Colosseum in Rome made the biggest impression as did the Piazza Navonna, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, the Fontana di Trevi, and the Campidoglio.<BR><BR>While 2 nights in Venice and 3 in Florence might be enough, since you'll be jet lagged the first day, the 3 nights is probably a good idea and you could add a day trip to Burano or Murano.<BR><BR>We didn't see Pompeii, so I can't comment there. In Venice the liked feeding pigeons in Piazza San Marco, the water taxi, vaparetto and gondola ride, plus going to the top of the Campinile. In Florence, the Piazzale Michelangelo, the Ponte Vecchio, the Pitti Palace and all the outdoor markets. They also loved pasta, pizza, gelato, ciocolatto, and trying to speak some Italian, as well as the many street vendors that we adults found annoying! <BR><BR>I do recommend Siena and Orvieto and the possibility of renting a car in Tuscany/Umbria for a few days to stay at an agriturismo in the country. Our kids loved that!<BR>Rome -

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Leslie

Meant to add... we stayed at Battistero Sogiorno and found it a very pleasant B &amp; B in a great location...just 3 flights up with no elevator! Don't know the other places but highly recommend you stay in the vicinity of the Pantheon or the Piazza Navona in Rome as this is the most central.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:02 AM
jack

Hi there. If have a spare room in central venice that i let from time to time at very good rates. <BR>If you are interested in such a service then pls send me an email and i will send you more info + pictures since its not allowed to advertise on Fodors. <BR>Thanks and best regards. <BR>Jack

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:20 AM
mjs

Powerbook in a storm without electricity works quite fine.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Tom

John, I have been trying to contact Soggiorno Battistero by e-mail but have received no response for three days. <BR><BR>How long did it take for you to hear back from them?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Lou

I wouldn't worry about your boy, if he is an only child I bet he is used to being around you two grownups! And I bet he is well behaved and loved and curious too. <BR>I would suggest going over the places you will be visiting in a book that he enjoy, talk about where you will visit and some interesting piece of history with him. bring in details such as knights, battles, interesting personalities.<BR>This is what we did with our son and he helped plan excursions and really had the time of his life.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 02:41 PM
ingrid

We went to Italy in 2001 with a 9- year old girl and an 11-year old boy. Here are my sugegstions:<BR>Venice --- my son loved the secret tour of the Doge Palace. Definitely go there!<BR>Pisa --- both loved Pisa; we spent the day at the beach (pretty crummy but they liked it) and then went to Pisa in the late afternoon/early evening.<BR>Lucca --- great, also went hiking near Bagni di Lucca<BR>Florence --- our kids were &quot;done&quot; in a day and then preferred staying with friends<BR>Sienna --- they preferred it to Florence<BR>Pompeji and Herculaneum --- haven't been but my son definitely wants to go.<BR>All in all, our kids aren't up for hours and hours of sightseeing but rather &quot;doing&quot; things.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 04:29 AM
John

Thanks for all the great advice, especially from those who have &quot;been there, done that&quot; with kids. We will probably try to use another of our Florence days for a second daytrip, maybe to Sienna.<BR><BR>Tom: Is been a few weeks, but if I remember correctly, it was maybe only the next day that I got a reply from Kelly at Soggiorno Battistero. In any case, it was not long enough that it gave me any concern.<BR><BR>John<BR>Tennessee, USA

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Ira

Hi John<BR><BR> Take a look at the thread titled <BR>&quot;young children on vacation&quot; for some good advice.<BR>

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 12:36 PM
nyro

I think your son will enjoy a visit to Pompeii. I werw ther with my daugther last year and it was a great experience for her. But it will be a long day if you stay the visit to Pompeii from Rome.Perheps you should consider to take train from Florence to Napoli or Sorrento and stay ther one night before you go to Rome. While in Rome you should climb all the stairs to the top of the coupola of St. Peters. I think he will be impressed.<BR>When in Venice let your son try to find out how many stues of lions he an find here (quite a few!).