Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Itinerary (flying into Zurich, out of Milan)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my family will be in Italy for approx. 2 weeks in July. We are flying into Zurich and out of Milan (limited flexibility, using miles).

We have traveled to Italy before and have narrowed this trip down to these top 3 cities/areas in which to spend time: the Cinque Terre, Rome and Venice.

We are unsure about the following: should we spend a few days in Switzerland first (have never been); in which order to visit these areas; should we rent a car for all or part or rely on trains.

Any thoughts or input will be so welcome.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
ira

Hi lb,

I would definitely spend 2-3 nights in CH.

Even Zurich will keep you happy for 2 days.

Check the map at www.viamichelin.com.

Venice is between Zurich and Rome.

So whether you stop in Venice and then go to Rome before Milan, or go to Rome and come back to Venice, won't make much difference.

I think that I would do Venice, Rome, CT, Milan.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM

I did a similar trip last May/June, arriving in Zurich. We first spent 2 mights in Grindewald because my Mother (I traveled with my Mother and my Sister - both of whom had never been to this part of Europe before, my Mother has only been to England and my Sister has hardly been out of Iowa) has always wanted to see Switzerland. And, of course, the Switzerland that she imagined was "Heidi" - so that's what I tried to give her (and succeeded). We all loved our time there. Picture mountains, cows with bells around their necks, alpine meadows, yodeling, flower boxes - you got the picture. It was everything that my Mom imagined and more. I think that after having left Switzerland, I would go to Venice and from Venice to the CT (we stayed in the CT for 3 nights - and it was delightful). From the CT to Rome is fairly easy. And then you can take a train easily from Rome to Milan for your trip home.

Have a wonderful time - wish I were going again this year for two weeks, but will only have a week in which to do something.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM

I would do..
Switzerland, Venice, Rome, CT, Milan.
Rome is big and hectic. It would be nice to have mellow Venice and CT before and after.

I havent been but Im thinking that driving through Switzerland may offer the best scenery.

Even though we have driven in Italy several times, with your schedule you wouldnt need car in Venice, CT, or in Rome.

You could drive from Venice to Rome or Rome to CT if you wanted to .
(never drive into or out of the center of Rome)

If you are looking for recommendations of different areas..

In Venice I like the Campo Santa Margarita area.
In Rome I like the Campo di Fiore area.
In CT, I like Corniglia.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM

With only 2 weeks, I would not go south of the CT. My destinations would include Luzern, after you land in Zurich for at least 2 nites, Lake Como, the CT, and Venice. That is a very full 2 weeks. Plan a max of 4 destinations. Venice deserves 4 nites. I would do 2-3-3-4-1---that last nite near MXP prior to departure.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. As luck would have it, I called AA today to see if frequent flyer seats had opened up into Milan and they had. We are now able to fly directly into and out of Milan. Think we are going to fly into Milan, train immediately to Venice for 3 days, Rome for 4, rent a car and drive through Tuscany up to Cinque Terre, then back to Milan only to fly out. Thanks so much for your input and advice.