Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Itinerary - Draft (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-itinerary-draft-1011485/)

Demon22 Apr 14th, 2014 09:59 PM

Italy Itinerary - Draft

We have approximately 4 weeks in Italy. At this stage we will fly into Rome and out of Milan. So my initial plans are:

Rome - 8 nights
Florence - 7 nights
Venice - 7 nights
Milan - 6 nights

We will train it between cities - and intend to do day trips, for example to Sienna and Piza from Florence and Como from Milan. We will be ther in September and our interests are history, art, architecture and museums. We also love food and wine and people watching. Does the above seem reasonable? I am a bit concerned that 6 days might be too much for Milan. We realise we can't "do" everything so are leaving South for another holiday.

Thanks in advance

bilboburgler Apr 14th, 2014 11:21 PM

I too think 6 days are too many for Milan, I might even try for another base with this amount of time. Have a look at one of Bologna, Ferrara, Parma as an extra base, this opens up more of the PO valley.

Milan has itself which can be stretched to 2 days, Bergamo and maybe one other so keep it to 4. Then scrape a day off each of the others. Are you staying in appartments or hotels?

Demon22 Apr 14th, 2014 11:35 PM

Looking to stay in apartments - we like the flexibility that they provide - but maybe a hotel in Milan if we cut back to 4 days? Would you put Bologna/Parma between Florence and Venice?

Rubicund Apr 14th, 2014 11:50 PM

As you are in Northern Italy, why not insert a relaxing trip to the lakes into all the city sightseeing? I'd take a couple of nights from Venice and a couple from Milan and go to Lake Garda.

bilboburgler Apr 15th, 2014 12:22 AM

Would you put Bologna/Parma between Florence and Venice? Yes, Bologna is a main terminal so easy to transit through. Days out include Ferrara and Padua, the region is famous for it's bicycle based life styles (a bit like Holland) so watch out.

bilboburgler Apr 15th, 2014 12:23 AM

Appartment owners like 6 night stays so that would work out better,

Rome - 6 nights
Florence - 6 nights
Bologna - 6
Venice - 6 nights
Milan - 4 nights

kybourbon Apr 15th, 2014 02:56 AM

I would drop 3 nights in Milan and spend it in a small village as your itinerary is nothing but cities. Perhaps somewhere in Tuscany or the lake region near Milan.

I've found many apartments only require 3 night rentals except in high season and that's mostly in the countryside, not in cities. I've stayed in an apartment for as little as one night in Tuscany and in Florence in early Sept. for three nights.

Demon22 Apr 15th, 2014 03:00 AM

Does that mean i need to rmember how to ride a bike? I didn't know that about apartments - I presumed they would prefer 7 nights aka a week. Btw - I share a bday with Bilbo & Frodo

nytraveler Apr 15th, 2014 03:33 AM

I know your favorites seem to be mostly city places but I would cut back on Milan - which I find meh - and spend some time in other places there - either in the lakes (do spend a couple of nights - we like Stresa on Maggiore) or consider visiting verona and or some of the villas in the Veneto, many of which are gorgeous.

RRT25 Apr 15th, 2014 04:28 AM

I agree that is too much time in Milano. Perhaps take 2 nights in Bellagio to break it up. The lake region is so beautiful and not too far by train from Milano.

bilboburgler Apr 15th, 2014 04:34 AM

Does that mean i need to rmember how to ride a bike?, no but bikes take precidence in some of these cities and so if you step out in front of these silent things you may get hit, particularly if you come from a high car culture

Demon22 Apr 15th, 2014 03:16 PM

Thanks - will go back to the drawing board and rework - but not keen on packing and unpacking too often. ...

bvlenci Apr 16th, 2014 06:04 AM

I don't understand why so many people don't like Milan. Is it because it isn't "quaint"? I had delayed visiting Milan because I had heard it was nothing special. Then we spent four (or five?) nights there a few years ago, and didn't have time to see all the things we wanted to see. I loved the city. It's a big bustling city, but there are tons of things to see and do there. We're planning a return trip to see some of the things we missed, and also to go to La Scala.

bilboburgler Apr 16th, 2014 07:07 AM

I've spent a long week there and yes there are things, great graveyard by the way, but really only second league compared to so much

Still don't miss
The Duomo
The fascisti railway station
The Opera
The canal
Whatever Michaelangelo stuff is on
The ancient shoping mall with the MacDo in it
The cemetry
The odd church/monestry/roman wall
The football ground

But most of all the people who wear beautiful clothes even if they have to starve to afford them.

pctraveler Apr 16th, 2014 01:00 PM

I like bilboburgler's approach:

Rome - 6 nights
Florence - 6 nights
Bologna - 6
Venice - 6 nights
Milan - 4 nights

But -- I might test the mood of the apartment owners and add one night each to Rome and Florence, taking them from Milan. I have been to Milan several times, and never found too much to do. It is not that it is not a nice city, but once you have seen the LaScala, the Duomo, the Galleria, and the Last Supper, it goes downhill pretty quickly for me.

Once you have zero'ed in on your cities, the Fodorites can (and will) supply you plenty of restaurants and hotels in your selections.

We have stayed at the Hotel Berna which is walking distance from Milano Centrale. It ranks well on TA.

cath_the_cat Apr 16th, 2014 01:09 PM

Hey!
I think 6 nights in Venice is a bit long... It's not really big and it's jam with people. I did it at the end of my 4 weeks trip in Italy and kind of regret it... (but it's just my opinion!)
You should try to ad villages in Tuscany or go to Lake Como... It's really beautiful.
Enjoy!