Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Itinerary and Agriturismo Recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-itinerary-and-agriturismo-recommendations-1653544/)

WorminRome May 20th, 2018 04:10 AM

Italy Itinerary and Agriturismo Recommendations

I would love some input on this trip idea as we have never traveled with our children but decided to give it a shot. My wife and I will be traveling with a 3 year old and an 8 month old. So far, we have thought to fly into Rome and spend a couple nights, then rent a car and drive up to Tuscany and stay at an agriturismo for a 10 or so nights. From there we will take day trips to different towns either by car or by train. We aren't looking for a jam-packed travel itinerary as we want to accommodate our children's normal cycles as best as possible. We are somewhat familiar with the area as we spent a week in Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany this past October. We also spent a week in Rome a few years ago, so we are familiar with Rome as well. We would then drive back down to Rome, maybe spend a couple more nights and fly home.

I know that 10 nights might be a bit much, but we don't want the stress of constantly moving the kids and their stuff around and know that the traveling part of the trip will likely be the most stressful for all.

On that note, can anyone provide family-friendly agriturismo recommendations in the Tuscany region? Any comments on the above itinerary? Any tips for traveling with kids?

Thank you!

zoecat May 20th, 2018 07:01 AM

I highly recommend Fonte Bertusi, located just a few km outside of Pienza. I’ve stayed there many times.

There is a pool and play area for children, a veggie garden for guests, and the apartments are lovely. The location is perfect for exploring the most best area in Tuscany.

Farmstay Holiday House Pienza Tuscany Val d'Orcia Siena | Fonte Bertusi

bobthenavigator May 20th, 2018 08:16 AM

I also endorse Fonte Bertusi

PalenQ May 20th, 2018 12:23 PM

Rather than renting car and returning it in Rome consider taking train Rome to say Chiusi or Siena and pick up cars at stations and return them and train into Rome car-free (real hassle driving in Rome - much of city center being off-limits to private vehicles I believe. With car take your day trips with it except if going to large cities - then drive to a suburban train station park car and take train in - like to Bologna. For lots on trains and booking own tickets, often at a discount, check Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia - www.seat61.com has loads of adroit advice on doing that yourselves - general info trains and where to go with them - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. And yes be sure the rental property has childs' play areas and a swimming pool.

WorminRome May 20th, 2018 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16732829)
Rather than renting car and returning it in Rome consider taking train Rome to say Chiusi or Siena and pick up cars at stations and return them and train into Rome car-free (real hassle driving in Rome - much of city center being off-limits to private vehicles I believe. With car take your day trips with it except if going to large cities - then drive to a suburban train station park car and take train in - like to Bologna. For lots on trains and booking own tickets, often at a discount, check Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia - www.seat61.com has loads of adroit advice on doing that yourselves - general info trains and where to go with them - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. And yes be sure the rental property has childs' play areas and a swimming pool.

That does sound like a great plan. My only concern would be finding an automatic transmission with car-seats in a smaller city.

WorminRome May 20th, 2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by zoecat (Post 16732692)
I highly recommend Fonte Bertusi, located just a few km outside of Pienza. I’ve stayed there many times.

There is a pool and play area for children, a veggie garden for guests, and the apartments are lovely. The location is perfect for exploring the most best area in Tuscany.

Farmstay Holiday House Pienza Tuscany Val d'Orcia Siena Fonte Bertusi

Wow! That place is beautiful! Was it close enough to a town to make sure that we have snacks/food for the little ones? I know that some agriturismo provide meals/snacks to their guests, but it looks like they only offer breakfast.

zoecat May 20th, 2018 05:30 PM

It’s just 3km from Pienza so about 5 minutes drive to the grocery store. The grocery store (Coop) has parking right out front.

zoecat May 20th, 2018 05:35 PM

“The location is perfect for exploring the most best area in Tuscany.”

At least I didn’t say “most bestest”. I meant to say “most beautiful”.

It it really is the perfect place to stay!

michele_d May 20th, 2018 06:32 PM

I also highly recommend Fonte Bertusi. Even though the apartments, which are part of the original larger villa, each have their own kitchen, I highly recommend having the breakfast that is offered by the owners. The variety and quantity of homemade breakfast items is incredible. It is a phenomenal way to start the day. There is also a common washer for the guests to use. Easy grocery store parking in Pienza. We just loved our week long stay there.

WorminRome May 23rd, 2018 08:13 AM

It looks like we will be spending 11 nights at Fonte Bertusi! We thought about breaking the trip up and staying in different places, but this seems like such a great location that we can easily use for short visits to neighboring towns and is also close enough to major cities for day trips. We also figured it would be easier to get into routines with the kids if there was less accommodations for them to adjust to.

Thank you all.

PalenQ May 23rd, 2018 02:01 PM

Sounds fabulous - really neat.

WorminRome Oct 23rd, 2018 09:38 AM

Fonte Bertusi was everything I had hoped for and much more. Thank you so much for the recommendation. We loved every minute we spent there.

zoecat Oct 23rd, 2018 03:47 PM

Happy to hear that your trip and stay were great!

michele_d Oct 23rd, 2018 06:05 PM

That's great!! I can't wait to return to Fonte Bertusi.

PalenQ Oct 24th, 2018 12:37 PM

Always nice when someone comes back to tell folks like those who recommended that place to say thanks.

WorminRome Oct 5th, 2019 04:39 PM

Hey! I hope everyone has been well since I last posted here.

I my wife and I are planning our 10 year anniversary and we want to go back to Italy without the kids this time. We thought Pienza was the perfect hub for seeing the area and want to include it in our two week trip. We loved Fonte Bertusi, but want to save a repeat visit for a time when our children are older.

Can anyone recommend a true agriturismo in the area? We love visiting vineyards, farms and dairies so this seems like a very logical plan.

Thank you!