Italy in winter with a 1 year old

Old Nov 1st, 2019, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in winter with a 1 year old

Hi,

I will be in Italy this winter from late December to mid January. We are staying in Rome (Trastevere) for 8 nights, Firenze for 5 nights and Bologna for 4 nights. We have apartments in all of these locations.

Interested to hear of any tips and advice for things to see and do particularly at this time of the year, and places suited (or not suited) to visiting with a young child.

We have been abroad with our girl and we find that we'll be up and about early and spend the morning doing something, and spend the post-nap afternoon closer to home enjoying some food, a cafe or perhaps a walk to a park.

We have plenty of time in each place and will take things slow, we also understand we won't see everything and thats fine.

Thanks in advance

Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 06:35 AM

Can't think of any laces not suitable for kids.
Italians are very nice towards children - maybe not as much as the Turks but very nice !
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 08:53 AM

Yes, kids are welcome nearly everywhere in Italy. I would hesitate to take a baby to the Vatican Museums, for example, because of extreme crowding. In the winter, the crowds are less intense, but it seems you'll be in Rome between Christmas and Epiphany, which is a very busy time in Rome.

I once spent a week in Rome with my daughter and granddaughter, who was one year old. We stayed in Trastevere, but I would choose another area if I had to do it again. We had a stroller and a baby carrier sling. The stroller was fine in the pedestrianized areas, but in other areas, we often found sidewalks impassible with the stroller. Crosswalks were often blocked by cars parked bumper to bumper, requiring long detours in traffic. The sidewalks were often blocked with motorcycles, rubbish bins, and trees.

I recommend a stroller that can be folded easily and carried for short distances. Many people recommend big wheels for the uneven paving, but if I had to choose between big wheels and portability, I'd choose the latter.

Last edited by bvlenci; Nov 2nd, 2019 at 09:02 AM.