Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy in very late October early Nov - worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-in-very-late-october-early-nov-worth-it-987689/)

slr0730 Aug 6th, 2013 04:42 AM

Italy in very late October early Nov - worth it?

My fiance and I are hoping to squeeze in our honeymoon to Italy (Tuscany/Almalfi coast) following our wedding at the end of October. A friend mentioned November is a rainy season in Italy, but we really won't have a good time to go for the remainder of the year, due to our work schedules. Would a trip like this (9 days) at this time of year be a waste? I wouldn't mind one day of rain, but if it pours the entire time I wonder if it will literally dampen our special trip. Thoughts? Better time to go?

vjpblovesitaly Aug 6th, 2013 05:07 AM

I really don't think a trip to Italy is ever a waste.

sparkchaser Aug 6th, 2013 05:11 AM

<i>Italy in very late October early Nov - worth it? </i>

Yes.

doug_stallings Aug 6th, 2013 05:20 AM

I've been in Tuscany in late October, and the weather was ideal. We had coolish temps at night and light rain one day, but that certainly didn't bother our trip.

I've been in Rome in late November with absolutely beautiful weather.

What I'm saying is that you can have rain during the high season and beautiful days during the low season. Italy isn't Amsterdam, where you can easily get rain for days during the low season. But a little rain shouldn't hinder you so much. And no matter how special your trip, you can't guarantee perfect weather. As for me, I'd much prefer to have a couple of days of rain, cooler temperatures, and fewer crowds than visit during the height of summer, when it's always 90+ degrees. I just did a trip to Venice and Croatia in late June. To be honest, never again. Too many people, too hot, the list goes on. October to November is my preferred month of travel to warmer places.

ladylawyer42 Aug 6th, 2013 05:22 AM

October is our favorite time to go to Italy; we've gone as late as Halloween/first week of November and still had great weather. It will be cool in the evenings, so bring a jacket.

trotters Aug 6th, 2013 05:30 AM

Italy is always worth it. We've made several trips to Tuscany, Rome, AC, etc. in late October to late November and enjoyed the cooler weather and fewer crowds, especially on the AC. You may have a day of rain, but that's likely no matter when you travel.

dwdvagamundo Aug 6th, 2013 05:34 AM

We spent a November in northern Italy some years ago and loved it. Rain? yes. Acqua alta in Venice? Yes. Mudslides in Cinque Terre? Si. But no crowds at Last Supper in Milano and most other places. Great food, great choice of hotels and restaurants. One of our best trips.

Dukey1 Aug 6th, 2013 05:35 AM

Fewer visitors; much better temperatures; possibly even lower prices.

P_M Aug 6th, 2013 05:45 AM

I went to Italy in November 2002. My only regret was losing a day in Venice due to flooding, however the rest of Italy was great and we had no weather problems to speak of outside of Venice.

Good weather is not guaranteed at any time of the year. If it rains you can find plenty of indoor things to do. Just go and be glad you are in Italy. Besides, it's you honeymoon. Won't you be spending a lot of time indoors anyway? ;-)

ekscrunchy Aug 6th, 2013 06:44 AM

I would spend the time in Tuscany, or perhaps split between Tuscany and Umbria, or rural Tuscany and Florence, at that time of year. Naples, and Rome, too, would be great but I would not spend too much time on the Amalfi Coast in that season given your limited 9-day vacation.

We like to go off season, and have been several times to Rome, Florence, Venice, in January. But I would not go to a mainland coastal resort in early November. Too much chance of bad weather and many seasonal closings to risk it with such a limited stay.

Fra_Diavolo Aug 6th, 2013 06:50 AM

Agree with eks -- scratch or severely shorten the Amalfi Coast portion of the trip.

annw Aug 6th, 2013 06:54 AM

I'm with the "never a waste" crowd; we've traveled there in November and had great trips; October is even better. If it rains and you are in a city, 4 euro umbrellas will suddenly become widely available. I like the idea of Tuscany/Umbria or Tuscany/Rome for the 9 days, though I'm a die-hard Venice fan.

520 Aug 6th, 2013 07:03 AM

I've been in Italy in every season but winter--and all have been wonderful, but the chances of rain--and heavy rain--are probably greatest in the north. Venice in aqua alta is quite an experience, just be prepared with boots and umbrellas. Naples and Sicily wouldn't be a bad combination--but it's hard to find any that really would. Not having crowds is a big plus!! I'd say go for it!

nytraveler Aug 6th, 2013 07:03 AM

Think going to Italy is fine but would bag the Amalfi cost. By Nov many hotels and rests are closed, ferries are running on short schedules if at all and the weather is not conducive to a beach resort.

I would definitely do Rome instead - where there is plenty to see and do when it does rain. And do expect a day or two - possibly more - but can be mist or drizzle and not necessarily heavy downpours.

Just make sure you bring layers of clothing so you are ready for any weather - warmish or chilly or rainy.

asps Aug 6th, 2013 07:29 AM

It is true that November is the rainiest month in Italy. How much rain, nobody can tell in advance - ranging from a string of perfectly fine days to floodings (the big Florence flood was on November 4th, 1966). Beaches and sea resorts are useless in November (if you want beaches you have to go to tropical places) and I would not advise visiting country places as well. But cities are full of activities, there are no crowds, and you can live with some rain if you wear appropriate clothing. Maybe avoid Venice as acqua alta is likely.

slr0730 Aug 6th, 2013 10:37 AM

Wow! Thank you all for the quick and very helpful responses! Looks like we'll be booking a trip to Italy this Fall :) Many thanks!