Reload this Page >

Italy in September and Other Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Mike

Is September a comfortable month to visit Italy? <BR> <BR>We will have two weeks in Italy, any suggestions for an itinerary? We wish to spend a few days in a couple of major cities and then see the west coast as we head to <BR>France. What towns and cities are must sees? <BR> <BR>Is it safe to drive around the country or is it best to take a train? Is it even possible to get around the smaller towns without a car? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>Mike

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Rex

Mike, I'd like to tell you otherwise (anything to have fewer travelers in Italy) - - but the truth is, September in Italy is a GLORIOUS month. <BR> <BR>Major cities? Venice and Florence fill the bill there. Smaller cities? Verona, Siena, Assisi, plus you need to go discover a few tiny "specks" on the map; they're half the appeal of Italy - - that's more than you can "do" in two weeks. <BR> <BR>Except for the Cinque Terre (others know this area better than I do, so I will leave it for other "experts"), the "coast" of Italy is not as strong a draw as the inland destinations mentioned above. While there is an Italian Riviera (from Genoa to Ventimiglia), it is not Italy's best destination in my opinion. <BR> <BR>Okay to drive in Italy? You bet. I wouldn't ever try discover the little towns without one. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 05:07 AM
Paul

Couldn't agree with Rex more about the weather - beautiful time of year to go. If you're going to go up the west coast, stop and visit Lucca on the way - you won't be sorry.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 05:45 AM
Beth

We were there in early September last year. While I think this is a fine time to visit, it happened to be unseasonably hot in September '99. If I were to plan all over I would go a little bit later. I think the crowds would be less and the temperature too. It was 90 degrees and 95% humidity throughout our trip. Do plan on getting hotels with A/C in the cities, you won't be sorry. <BR> <BR>We drove in Tuscany, but used the trains between cities. I definitely recommend driving in order to see the smaller towns. We did spend a few extra dollars to rent a car with some nice power, so we could keep up with the crazy BMW drivers on the Autostrada. I think my husband really enjoyed the driving, but then he's been a Boston driver for a loooong time.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 06:23 AM
Paul

Beth-as a fellow native Boston driver, I can assure you that your husband thoroughly enjoyed driving in Italy!! My girlfriend is constantly yelling me to slow down, and dreads those first few weeks when we return, as we cruise down the "Raccordo Storrow Drive"!

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Carol

Dear Mike, <BR> <BR>I hate to be the one to tell you this, but September-October are now high season for tourism in Italy. Check the airfares and you'll see. <BR> <BR>Itinerary? In this order: Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and then to the Italian Lakes--Como, Orta or Maggiore--, then Cinque Terre on the way to France.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 08:20 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mike, Sep in Italy is great and you have <BR>gotten some good advise here already. <BR>Let me add a note of feasibility. It takes about 6 weeks to see most of Italy and you have less than a third of <BR>that with France thrown in. Do not try to do too much--a common mistake. I have <BR>planned more than 40 itineraries in Italy and the best 2 week ventures tend <BR>to concentrate either north or south but <BR>not both. Since you have French plans, I <BR>would stay north this trip and miss Rome. In 2 weeks you should try to do <BR>no more than 5 primary destinations and <BR>you already have one which leaves you <BR>only 4 in Italy. That says: <BR>Venice--Florence--Ligurian coast--Lakes <BR> <BR>This will work best if you fly into Venice and depart from Nice. Let me know if you need details on this type of itinerary--I have done it before.

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 05:25 AM
Ruth

We were in Italy in Sep. 1998 and I agree it is a good time to visit. But it is also still heavy tourist time. We were in Venice on a weekend and it was packed. Friends who stayed until Tuesday said Monday was so much better--less crowded. We tried to visit San Giminiango (??) the next weekend and gave up because it was so packed. So the moral of my story is try to hit the really popular tourist destinations on weekdays.