Italy in Sept or Oct?

Search

Italy in Sept or Oct?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in Sept or Oct?

Wife and I plan on taking our 1st trip to Italy. We plan on heading to Venice, Florence and Rome for a week. We are looking at either the 1st week of Sept. or the 1st week of Oct. We would appreciate any insight on which would be the better time to go, weather wise/tourist wise etc. Any other helpful hints for 1st time travelers to Italy would be appreciated!
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:43 PM

I would vote for October. The intense heat is gone. You'll still have a lot of tourists, but not like in the summer. If it's your first time I would take the train around. Once you're used to Europe, then rent a car. There are too many helpful hints to say in this space. You can e-mail me at [email protected] and I can give you a ton of hints.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 09:58 PM

Dear Ann1,<BR><BR> I have been to europe a number of times and was thinking of taking my son. I thought it would be a good idea for us to rent a car and an even better idea for him to drive. This would be his first trip to europe. I'm somewhat concerned because you said &quot;Once you're used to europe, then rent a car.&quot; Would it be a problem for him to drive there? Thanks in advance
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:32 PM

Depends on your son's driving skills and what he is used to. Our experience is that the Italians are very fast drivers and no patience on the road. We find it is more enjoyable to go between cities by Eurostar and relax!! Have a wonderful time - Rome, Florence and Venice are my favourite places!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:02 AM

I say September. Early October can be rainy and the days are shorter. In early September the weather can still be summer-like and you will be able to enjoy a few days on the beach if you want, but the worst of the heat will be gone and so will be the worst of the crowds. I usually have my own Holidays in either June or early September, but I wold not plan a long holiday in Italy in October.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:40 AM
ira

Hi Scoob,<BR> We are doing a trip to Italy last week of September/first week of October.<BR> You might find cheaper air fares, hotels, etc than earlier in the month.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:18 AM

I've been both early Oct. and late Oct/early November. I would vote for the early Oct. dates. The weather was so perfect...with 1/2 day of rain out of 16 days. The days were warm (high 70's) and cool in the evening. Enjoy!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:18 AM

We often do early Oct. and will again this year. However, trying to do all 3 of those in 1 week is a challenge.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:28 AM

My husband and I went to Italy in late Oct/early Nov in 2001 and the weather was great. One stop was in Positano and it was warm enough to swim. Also, we rented a car and it was no problem. We drive from Rome to Positano, then to Florence no problem. It was quite fun actually. As far as helpful hints? Don't agree to let locals dressed like gladiators take your picture outside the coloseum. They end up charging you. We learned the hard way...
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:50 AM

First of all, everyone on this thread be careful of Nicolaf. She seems to be wanting to get peoples e-mail addresses. On another thread she wouldn't answer someone's questions and told them to e-mail her. Patti: It depends on how old your son is. If you're going to cities like Florence and Rome, it's tough driving. If it's all in the country, it's fine.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones thoughts. We are flying on miles so our dates are not that flexible, only avail. are 1st week of Sept. and 1st week of Oct. It will be our 1st trip to Italy and who knows when we will get back so we want to hit as much as we can. Last year for our honeymoon we went to Hawaii and relaxed so this year we dont mind running around a little. We want the weather to be nice, especially not much rain so we can sightsee but not necessarily beach weather, just comfortably warm. Then again, we dont want to be walking around in oppressive heat, is either the case that time of year? Coming from NYC so while we may be used to crazy drivers do we really need the headache? Doubt it, so thanks for the idea of the train, what about local flights? Is nthat not an affordable/smart option?Thanks for the ideas thus far please keep them coming. We had great help from everyone on this site for HAwaii and we appreciate it! We look forward to more great ideas.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:11 AM
mjs

I would prefer October to September because I do not like crowds, prefer cooler weather when touring, and it may be easier and perhaps less expensive in the way of hotels. Either month however would be just fine. I should also note that one week for three cities is really not enough time to do those cities justice. Do the Eurostar train which takes about four hours between Venice and Florence and about two hours between Florence and Rome. Hopefully you are flying into/out of Rome and into/out of Venice for a open jaw route. Do not drive. Driving in Italy, especially in the cities is alot more trying than even NYC. You also do not need a car for Venice, and will not want one for Florence or Rome. Flying is an expensive option and unnecessary unless you have no open jaw flight to and from Italy.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:22 PM
ira

Hi Scoob,<BR> I suggest that you not try the Big Three in one week. Do any two.<BR><BR> Since you are coming into Rome and out of Venice, split them. Bypass Florence.<BR><BR> Toss a coin over your shoulder into the Trevi Fountain and you will return.<BR>
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 02:34 PM

Dear Ann1,<BR><BR> My son is 26 &amp; has been driving since he was 16(has a car,not autonmatic)and drives all over the US. Like a typical 26 yr old-he drives &quot;fast&quot;. Thanks for answering me
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:20 AM

I drove in Italy for the first time last year. I drove primarily in and out of Florence and all over Tuscany. There was one time in the course of our drives I wished divorce could occur on the spot. If you stick to the spots around the autostrada it might be ok..give up any hopes of keeping up with the traffic and don't take the wide mouthed gaping stares at you personally(we deserved every one we got!).