Italy in October: Positano or Sorrento?

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in October: Positano or Sorrento?

My husband and I are planning to stay 3 out of our 8 nights in the Amalfi Coast area- will be coming straight from Rome via fast train to begin our trip there. Debating between Positano and Sorrento. We will not be renting a car during this leg of the trip and are looking to get a good feel of the area. Want to just enjoy the views, eat, etc! Looking for a decent hotel, not luxe, but charming, good beds, etc! Any recommendations?
Thanks alot
Patty
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Should clarify the hotel type.... I meant a good hotel, not 5 stars, but 3+ or 4 !!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Try .villarosapositano.it this is where we stayed about 3 years ago. Very pretty views and we preferred it to Sorrento which we felt was too big for us. The SITA buses can take you around to Amalfi and Ravello and even Sorrento for a day if you like to see other nearby towns.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM

I think that Positano just has a more striking location, and the views are spectacular. I stayed at a great little hotel one night, very inexpensively also in October - Domina Inn Royal. Rooms have balconies and views, but the pool may be closed then. Have a ball no matter where you end up, you can't go wrong either place.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM

I stayed at the Villa Rosa Positano just this past May and can also recommend it. Just a note - there is no elevator and there are LOTS of stairs but the views are worth the effort.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 12:56 AM

Positano is definately more beautiful than Sorrento. Make sure you travel on a bus via Salerno though. Ours was cancelled and we went via Sorrento to Maiori (near Positano) and it took twice as long. Not sure about hotels as we stayed in an apartment.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:47 AM

Sorrento is charming, active and has the best transportation choices for day tripping to other points.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 04:26 AM

If you want to be able to do stuff at night Sorrento is better, but Positano is certainly beautiful. When we were trying to decide where to base we decided on Sorrento because it is the best transportation hub (closest to Capri and to Pompeii for day tripping), and you didn't need to hire a sherpa to get your luggage to your hotel (hotels in Positano advertise how many steps they are from the road so you know how far you will have to climb).
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM
ira

Hi PT,

For convenience to transportation and night life, I would say Sorrento.
For great views and lots of tourist interest, Positano.
For relaxation and beauty, www.lesirene.com in Praiano - 6 km E of Positano, bus service with SITA and Orange lines to P and S.

Also, have you considered Amalfi? You can take the train from Rome to Salerno and then the ferry or bus to Amalfi. You avoid the Circumvesuviana.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
For me, the incredible beauty of the Amalfi coast made it worth the extra effort & cost to get in/out vs Sorrento.

Ian
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Would you consider staying in Amalfi town?

What part of October?
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM

We took the train from Rome to Salerno & Ferry to Positano (I think it was based on Ira's recommendation).....it was an absolutely magical arrival to the unbelievably stunning Amalfi Coast. I can't think of a better way to get there! No car was needed in Positano; we stayed 4 nights & there was plenty of activity. Taking a tour to Capri was a highlight, if you have the time. We stayed at Hotel Albergo California...a mid-priced place, used in the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun"....great views.....TONS of walking up/down hill in Positano! The hotel recommended some really awesome restaurants that provided transportation.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the great responses and sorry I was out of pocket yesterday!!

Some answers back:
- We are willing to go up and down the steps
- Will be there on Oct. 16-19.
- We will be arriving in Rome on Fri Oct. 16 at 8 am and plan to take the fastest train down.
- I know that 3 days won't do it justice (we are trekking back up to Tuscany after that 3rd night) - so I am looking for the best way to get a good taste of the area.
- I think we need to consider the whole transportation thing just to get the most out of our few days there.
- Yes, willing to stay in Amalfi

So:
- Train recommendations for Positano vs. Sorrento?
- How does the time factor play in?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM

Positano is on the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento is on the Sorrento Coast.The former is paradise on earth. The latter is paradise for shopping.

The transportation from Positano is just as easy as from Sorrento. The Metro-del Mare Ferry will take you for €15. from aples to Positano in 1-1 1/2hrs. To Capri in 40 minutes etc.

Hotels. 3 Star - Albergo California
4 Star Punta Regina
4 Star Poseidon
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks Hamptons! I am definitely leaning toward Positano. Forget the shopping! Let's just relax, eat and enjoy the views!

A few more Q's:
- How much better is the Poseidon vs. Albergo California? I have checked into all of these and was attracted to those 2 the most (awaiting rates now)
- Train from Rome to Naples is how many hours? I understand that the best thing to do is to wait to get to Rome to purchase the tix for the trains? Express train
thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM

If you want to consider Amalfi, I will recommend the hotel I used last year. The price is quite good and you will not find more congenial owner/managers anywhere. October internet prices are 110 standard double; 120 Dbl superior.

I vastly prefer Amalfi to Positano, but that comes down to personal taste.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM

Here is the link; it is currently the #1 rated property on the Amalfi Coast on TripAdvisor.

http://www.hotelfloridiana.it/english/enhome.html
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:36 AM

If you want an amazing place to dine and "eat and enjoy the views", try http://www.torrenormanna.net It's about a 10 min bus or taxi ride from Amalfi. Food is superb and great service.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Dear Fodorites:
Has anyone had experience with Kensigton Tours who advertise custom tours with private car/driver/tour guide? We're tired of regimentation of most tours.We know what sights we want to see. This option sounds great
We 3 mostly fit seniors are planning a trip to Italy with an archaeological bent for Oct'09(not our first trip) encompassing Rome, Florence, Naples, Amalfi Coast, and perhaps Palermo and Toarmina.
Your comments, as always, greatly appreciated.
oscar2