Italy in November: Venus vs. ?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears we will be taking a cruise from Venice which will depart on November 21st.

We've been to Venice before but not for about 15 years. Stayed very close to St. Mark's and would do it again. We've done many of the main "tourist" sites although we have not been to the Guggenheim.

Now, I am wondering if we should visit/stay in some other perhaps nearby part of Italy for these several days prior to the cruise departure.

We've been to Florence and Verona. We've been to Siena Not interested in winter sports so assume the Dolomites are not in play (or are they? Steve James, are you reading this???)

We would have a car to get around in; like churches and museums and great scenery even if it is in November. Towns with MORE than one restaurant would be nice, too!!!!

I have thought about Umbria, too.

Anyone out there willing to help me focus a little? Thanks.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

GOD!!! I meant <b>VENICE</b>..but perhaps Venus might be interesting, too!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM

have you considered Verona/Milano? Its about a 2-3 hour drive from Venice to Milan on the autostrade. You could stay in Milan for a couple of nights, day trip to the piedmonte region for wines, see the Last Supper, laScala, cathedral,etc. Drive one morning from Milan to Verona, take in the city, castle, museum, ampitheater, etc (arrive by mid-day, stay overnight, depart the next evening back to Venice. We stayed at the Sheraton Diana in Milan (close to metro stop and across the street from one of the best restaurants we've ever been to) and at Hotel Accademia in Verona. Our trip itineray was venice/cortina/bolzano/lake garda/milano/verona and back to venice to fly home (2 week trip). Cortina is also very lovely but I can't vouch for that time of year.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dukey,

we just spent a week in venice and still had stuff to see so you might find that it holds some interest for you despite your earlier visit.

However, assuming that you know your own mind, you could fly into Venice and go south to Ravenna via bologna - which has had rave reviews here recently.

THe circle of towns Venice-Padova-Ferrara-Bologna-Ravenna-Venice - should keep you busy for a few days.

regards, ann
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
LJ

Dukey, Can't imagine you with wet feet so don't forget the Acqua Alta in Venice and come prepared with the right footware!

Seriously, we loved Venice in winter but it is a more moody experience. Definitely stop long enough to see the Guggenheim. You will particularly intrigued by Peggy's affinity for her dogs.

Perhaps Trieste is a good idea? It is an amzing city: get a copy of Jan Morris book, 'Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere'. The whole Friuli Venezia area is under-touristed, the food is amazing, quite different than southern Italy. The wine is fantastic. You don't have to ski. And you could always slip across the border.

Have a great time and let us know what you decide.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recs so far. I've only been through Bologna and have been looking into that.

Trieste area is also intriguing..lots of food for thought..you guys are, as always, the best!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Dukey, when I read your title I thought Venus vs Mars??

Anyway, we love Venice. We plan to spend three months there starting the last week of October. We hope to do a few sidetrips but Venice has such a pull for us that once we are there, we don't want to leave her. We spent five weeks in Venice starting mid-December 2007 and we are going back for more.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
ira

Hi D,

Venice has actually changed somewhat in the last 15 years - cleaned up, frescos redone, etc.

I would go back.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM

How many days exactly do you have before you set sail? Looking for one base outside Venice or willing to explore more territory?
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the very helpful comments as well as the questions.

Ira, yes, I have been thinking that perhaps being away from Venice for 15 years is more than enough time to go back and re-discover it.

I am one of those people who loves to be in San Marco at dusk/night when i think it truly becomes magical, and also like to be there early to feed the birds...so this is one reason we have stayed so close in the past, as expensive as that can get.

Ekscrunchy, we will have three full days prior to the actual sailing day.

I really feel very grateful at this point that we can afford this at all but since the cruise is definitely in the more or less &quot;off&quot; season it comes at a real bargain price. I wish Venice hotels were the same way but we'll see.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM

Can't wait to return to Venice...we were there last year in May. Is it Ok in November and December or does it shut down in Winter like a lot of Italy?
Thanks Rosie
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Well, shut down or not, I'm going to be there at least on embarkation day if not longer.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:12 AM

No, Venice does not shut down in winter. We have been in January and thought it was a great season.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM

&gt; does it shut down in Winter ..

Never completely.

I have had some of my best Venice stay in winter, late November to early December, misty morning and bright sun in the afternoon for 5 consecutive days (lucky, ok). Last time was Christmas 2006, again I had 4 consecutive sunny days. I found a surprisingly inexpensive hotel deal at Paganelli 3*, single room for &euro;50 for Christmas time. The hotel is located on the dreaded-by-many Rive Schiavoni, a few doors from Danieli but my room was in the back and I could see San Zaccharia church from my room window - not bad.

Dukey, you should be able to get the lowest rate in end of November. Good luck.