ITALY IN NOVEMBER : flights & cities?

Oct 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

ITALY IN NOVEMBER : flights & cities?

We are traveling to Italy for 9 or 10 days this Nov.for wedding annv.: We will be in Rome for 3 days, then Venice for 2, then 2 days we don't know where to go, then 2 more days in Rome. Suggestions? We're not huge art peolpe, but want romantic & fun.
Also, we're finding flights to be very expensive. About $1200 pp. and many long stops. The cheaper flights ($900 pp) turn a 10hr. flight into 30 hrs.!!
*** I heard that it is cheaper to book on a Wed. or Thurs.? Is that true?
**Anyone think we should we wait until the week of to book flight? Will that be cheaper? We've already booked hotels.

****Why is a one way ticket the same price as a round trip? H E L P!
Oct 15th, 2007, 07:05 PM

You can look at some websites for air fare info and comparisons:

www.kayak.com
www.farecompare.com
www.sidestep.com

but you really don't have much time to work with if you're leaving in aoubt three weeks ...

If it were my trip, I'd spend those "extra" two days in Venice. Getting from your hotel in Rome to your hotel in Venice will take more than half a day in each direction. If you only spend two nights in Venice (per your original plan), you'll really only have a full day and a few hours on the arrival and departure days to see all that Venice offers. Not enough time.
Oct 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
rex

It's pretty difficult to advise you on air travel options without your telling us where you're originating.

The choices are quite different if you are in Ottawa, Miami, Anchorage or Calcutta.

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Hi

Rome is worth an extra day or two as there is lots to see and do. Check out my trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . I have also posted a similar trip report from Venice a few years back: http://gardkarlsen.com/italy_venice.htm

Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

I am sorry, I am flying out of Southern California. I appreciate everyone's feed back so far!
Oct 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Hello lily..rather than state the number of days..how many nights will you have in Rome, Venice and then again Rome plus how many nights that you have not planned for?

In the travel industry two days normally means one night at a location. And those two days include arriving and departing which normally maeans one should figure a half a day for each arrival and depature.
Oct 16th, 2007, 07:46 AM

FYI, Lily83, you'll find it a little more difficult to fly home from Venice than Rome. I also live in SoCal and have found the best option is Swiss through Zurich to LAX or USAir through Philadelphia to LAX. The Swiss combo is nice because the departure from Venice isn't very early. I avoid connecting through London.
Oct 16th, 2007, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi L,

www.kayak.com and www.1800flyeurope.com can give you open-jaw flights.

www.mobissimo.com is good for RT.

I would fly into Venice for 3 nights, train to Florence for 2 nights, train to Rome and fly home from there.

>I heard that it is cheaper to book on a Wed. or Thurs.

Flying on Fri, Sat, Sun is usually more expensive than the other days.

Enjoy your visit.

Oct 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Well, maybe skip Florence if you're not into art. Given that it's November, I'd just add days to Rome and Venice. (Can't get more romantic than Venice.)

lily83, you need to take into account jetlag after a long, intercontinental flight; it slows you down for the first day or two. And transportation time between Venice and Rome. That's why people are recommending open jaws flights.
Oct 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Open jaw flights may be impractical at this time of year, because some American airlines will stop flying to, say, Milan direct from the US except in the summer months. For me, I was stuck with American Airlines (voucher to use up) so the only direct flights from the US were into and out of Rome. I would love to have done an open jaw but otherwise I'd be connecting in London or Bussels and picking up a connecting flight on an AA partner. Personally, I found it more convenient to take the train directly from Rome to Venice instead of dealing with a flight connection. Rather be on a 4.5 hour train journey than a 4 hour layover in London.

I'm in Italy now and loving it - just finished hiking the 5 towns in the Cinque Terre. Weather here mid-October has been BEAUTIFUL. By November it may be raining and this whole area may be pretty slow for the year - can't hike most of these trails in the rain.

One town I very much enjoyed was Siena - I did it as a day trip from Florence but would stay there at least one night (and not Florence) if I were doing it over again. But I agree with others who have said add a night in Venice at least if half of one day will be in transit from Rome.
Oct 16th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Hi Lily...in Nov we're flying from LAX into Rome and out of Venice (via Zurich) on Swiss Air. Arrive on a Friday night and depart on a Sunday morning. The price was as good as it got at the time I booked it and there was no price difference for flying open jaw. Kayak.com is great.

Good luck.
Oct 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM

I think you would have a great time in Rome. 2 days is hardly enough to experience all the wonders of the ancient world! Rome is a very active city which is full of life and has some of the best food in Italy!
Oct 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Did you try flight on Lufthansa thru either Munich or Frankfurt? Lufthansa is a great way to fly, they are very professional and pride themselves on keeping a tight schedule.
Oct 16th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Hi lily...We are flying in November from LAX into Rome(Friday) and out of Venice(Sunday)on Swiss Air. Only stop is Zurich...very short layover each way! The price of the tickets were the same for the open jaw as it was in and out of Rome. Swiss Air's prices were comparable if not better than other carriers.

Good luck!
Oct 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Oops...I feel silly. Didn't mean to post twice. 1st one didn't show up for a long time so I thought I forgot to press post.
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for helpful feedback. I think I am confusing people. We are flying into & out of Rome. We receive 5 free St. Regis nights per year through my work and they could only do them broken up & 1 month in advance,which makes our trip interesting.
**We will check into St. Regis Rome on 11/18 & check out 11/21, the evening of the 21st, 22, 23, 24th we are on our own. Then we return to St. Regis Rome for nights of 11/25 & 26 and fly out the 27th.
The evenings we have on our own (21st-24th) we want to go to Venice & 1 other must see unique location.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Oct 18th, 2007, 03:46 AM

I envy you. I would love to be in Italy in the fall. I don't know how you feel about layovers or switching planes but, what I do is fly into London (lots of cheap flights and it gives you a chance to walk around, stretch,beat some jetlag) and then take one of the cheap European flights to my final destination. You have Europe by air ($99) to most areas, Ryan air ($28) London to Rome, and a few others. Ravenna is agreat town you can see on a day trip from Venice. I agree with the writers who say take your extra day in Venice. Try the TravelZoo.com, Shermanstravel.com, and skyauction.com to find low airfares and travel specials. Enjoy
Oct 18th, 2007, 04:01 AM

Two days are not nearly enough in Venice. I'd add both days to "La Serenissima"--certainly it needs at least one more.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I have booked my flight finally, through mobissimo.com which took me to vayama.com where I booked 2 RT's 11/17 - 11/27 w/ 2 stops each way for $1364.40 total (w/ taxes & fees)!! We am flying United & Lufthanasa each way.
Also, we are thinking the 3 nights in Rome, train to Florence 2 nights there, train to Venice 2 nights there, and a train back to Rome for 1 or 2 nights.

Thanks again!!