Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-in-november-556098/)

carlposter05 Sep 3rd, 2005 06:41 AM

Italy in November

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Italy this November (we had planned a summer trip, but got cancelled due to a family emergency) - and are wondering if late October-early November would be a good time to visit Italy. Any thoughts ?

We're planning on spending time in Venice, Rome, and the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii, etc) - would November be a good time ? Does it get too cold in these regions ? What about tourist attractions - hopefully most of the "must-see" sites will still be open during this period ?

Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

ira Sep 3rd, 2005 06:49 AM

Hi CP,

Italy will be much less crowded, but I think the weather on the AC in late Oct is going to be against you, and a lot of places will be closed.

You might want to consider flying into Venice - 3-4 nights, train to Florence 3-4 nights (daytrip to Siena), traain to Rome 5-6 nights (daytrip to Orvieto), fly home.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

carlposter05 Sep 3rd, 2005 06:52 AM

Thanks Ira - if we skip the AC, would rain be a problem in the other places you suggest ? If we do decide to risk it\tough it out in the rain, would that be recommended ?

Eloise Sep 3rd, 2005 06:54 AM

The "must sees" are open everywhere, but often with shorter hours than in summer.

In Venice, you run the risk of enountering flooding ("acqua alta"); it's most prevalent near San Marco, so try to choose a hotel elsewhere (I personally love Dorsoduro; lots of places to visit, good restaurants, etc.)

Rome is not problematic; you might find it coolish, but the city functions year-round.

The Amalfi Coast is pretty much shut down by late October. Pompeii will still be open, and you will probably be able to get to Capri (on a very reduced ferry schedule). Consider staying in Sorrento if you go. It is my least favorite town on the Amalfi Coast but it's the best location from which to get to Pompeii and Capri.

For historical temperatures and rainfall, check out

www.weatherbase.com

Eloise Sep 3rd, 2005 06:56 AM

Staying in the cities, as Ira suggests, has the advantage that if it rains (which it will in November), you can always run into a museum, a cafe or a restaurant.

ira Sep 3rd, 2005 07:00 AM

Hi C,

>...would rain be a problem in the other places you suggest ? <

Bring an umbrella. :)

As noted, if you visit cities you can always find something to do out of the rain.

((I))

buongiorno Sep 3rd, 2005 07:20 AM

Contrary to some opinions, the Amalfi Coast does not shut down in October and November. We have been there during that time and as late as the last week of November and found many places open and uncrowded.

carlposter05 Sep 3rd, 2005 07:25 AM

The main reason for us wanting to travel to the AC is Pompeii, Capri and a short day trip exploring some of the towns on the AC - Amalfi, Positano, Salerno, etc. For this, we were planning on taking a bus tour (like the SITA bus company, etc).

I am guessing rain would be a problem - but mostly we would be there to take in the natural wonders, which should be open year around ;-)

Thoughts ?

mjs Sep 3rd, 2005 08:04 AM

I think late October to early November is fine for Italy. It will be fall but I tend to find fall weather fine for touring, Better than summer in most respects. Acqua Alta in Venice tends to start sometime in the late fall but I think but if you are early in November your risk is probably low. The Amalfi coast is also fine for this time but it will not be sun bathing weather. Have been to the AC in early December and while some things were closed, many were not. Weather than was high in the low 60's and sunny to PC. Late October should be nicer. Rome should be lovely in late Oct/Nov.
It does rain more in Italy in November than the summer but we have been to Italy several times during November and have not found rain to be much of an issue.

carlposter05 Sep 3rd, 2005 08:20 AM

Thanks all for the great info !

Our tentative dates are as follows:

Venice - Oct 25-29
Sorrento (AC) - Oct 30 - Nov 2
Rome - Nov 3 - Nov 8

Any other places in Italy worth visiting for a couple of days around this time of the year ?

Thanks !

HowardR Sep 3rd, 2005 08:24 AM

The Amalfi Coast will be okay for a visit that time of the year. The only two potential negatives:
*You might have rain.
*The seas might be too choppy for any boats to make the trip to Capri.
In both cases, the key word is "might"!

mjs Sep 3rd, 2005 08:26 AM

I think this is a nice itinerary.