Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy in March? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-in-march-359584/)

ljf0807 Sep 18th, 2003 12:26 PM

Italy in March?

Anyone ever been to Rome or Florence in March? I know it's not the warmest weather, but will it be warm enough for outdoor cafes, touring without layers of clothing, etc.?

bookchick Sep 18th, 2003 12:31 PM

I was in Rome this past March. Weather was quite spring-like. One day when I wore a short-sleeved funnel-neck top with a blazer & pants, I was actually too warm! Definitely outdoor cafes can easily be accessed & will be open.

Buon Viaggio,
BC

BATUFFOLINA Sep 18th, 2003 12:33 PM

From my experience, in March Rome can be pretty rainy and cold, but as I have often stated in this forum, you can never predict weather! So I advise you to get warm clothes, an umbrella (if not, you can buy it in Rome, one of those small umbrellas that can fit into a purse). Years ago when my dutch friend came over to visit me ( I live near Rome) we had a cappuccino outside a cafe in front of the Pantheon. There were large white sunshades that did a good job in protecting us from the rain, so it was ok. May be an experience! I still remember it in fact!

capo Sep 18th, 2003 12:44 PM

I was in Rome near the end of March in 2001. The weather was a bit cool (requiring a light-to-medium jacket) in the evening, but was warm (probably around mid-to-high 60s F) and sunny during the day.

Grinisa Sep 18th, 2003 01:13 PM

I've been to both Rome and Florence in March several times. Unfortunately, each time was pretty cool (50s)and several rainy days.

bookchick Sep 18th, 2003 01:16 PM

I was there for a week, right at the end of March, and left the country on April 2nd. It rained once while I was there, for about 2 hours, and it is quite amazing how many people appear on the street selling umbrellas. In any event, the rain did cool things down a little, and I wore a long-sleeved shirt, and pants to the restaurant that night, and did indeed need to wear a trench coat to stay dry and warm.

MFNYC Sep 18th, 2003 01:33 PM

We also were there in mid-March '01. We started out in Venice where it was in the 50s and cloudy (rained 1 day). After Venice the weather was lovely (and Venice looks good in the rain in any case!). By the time we got to Rome, it was in the low 80s during the day and 70s in the evening. We were actually hot while touring Pompeii wearing shorts and sandles. In any case, bring some light layers and an umbrella but but chances are, you'll have nice weather.

sorriso Sep 18th, 2003 02:23 PM

I've been to Rome the past two years in March, early to mid month. Last year the weather was warm the entire week during the day, early a.m. and evenings cooler. We ate outside all days except the first when it was raining. Two days could have qualified as actually hot.

This year the first two days were windy and chilly; it felt colder because of the wind. Then, on day three, the wind stopped and it was warm again. Last day was hot (of course we were on the all day traipsing about excursion to Ostia Antica!).

Spanish Steps won't look like the tourist photos because the planters aren't in full bloom. Instead you'll see the beautiful balconies decorated in potted red cyclamen. I've wondered if they change out the flowers with the seasons. Anyone?

Linda

Mariarosa Sep 19th, 2003 04:52 AM

I've been twice to Florence in March and once to Rome in March. I agree with the previous posters in that the weather is very variable in this particular month.

If its sunny, it will be *warm* during the day and you will be able to sit in cafes outside. At night, it is likely to drop 15-20 degrees. Florence can be rainier and a bit chilier than Rome. You will likely have to layer, and you will likely have to bring some type of coat/jacket for the evenings. Average minimum temerature in March is 40 degrees and average high temperatures are in the low 60's. This means there's a good chance that you will encounter weather ranging from 30's (cold nights) to 70's (warm days). I have some pictures of myself in Rome in short sleeves, sitting outdoors, and some pictures of myself in Florence in the evening with a wool blazer, turtleneck, boots, scarf and a hat.

elaine Sep 19th, 2003 05:06 AM

Hi
try
www.wunderground.com On the home page you can click on the Europe map, and on the next screen click on your country. Then you get a list of cities to click on.
When you do that, you get a screen with the forecast on the right side, but on the left side, under Conditions, there is a submenu offering for historical weather info.

www.weatherbase.com and www.washingtonpost.com also have historical data