Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy in March? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-in-march-272098/)

C Nov 9th, 2002 08:47 PM

Italy in March?

Is Italy a good country to visit in March? Is it warm, is it less expensive...? Are there any other countries people would recommend going to instead during March?

yyy Nov 9th, 2002 08:57 PM

Is Italy a good country to visit in March is a silly question. Do you want to visit Italy? WHY? Can you only go in March? Is going to Italy worth it to you no matter what the weather? What part of Italy are you thinking of going to? If the weather in that part of Italy is horrendous in March, would you prefer to go to Italy anyway, or would you rather go somewhere where the weather is better? <BR><BR>In case you're not getting my drift, your question is silly. Where do you want to go and why? What do you want to see and experience? What kind of weather would you like to have? If you can't have good weather, how much of a difference does it make? What other countries interest you? Do you know anything about Italy or other countries in Europe?<BR><BR>I take it this is your first trip to Italy or abroad?<BR><BR>

Susan Nov 10th, 2002 09:43 AM

Sorry I can't answer your question (only been to Italy in the Fall - great time to go) - but I wanted to say that I wish people like &quot;yyy&quot; wouldn't bother to respond - so rude and unhelpful!

Carol Nov 11th, 2002 09:53 AM

We visited Italy in March 2001. The weather was delightful, a bit warmer in the South. We never needed more than a light jacket or sweather the entire two weeks. <BR><BR>If I remember correctly, the high season did not begin yet, so the hotel rates were lower than in high season.<BR><BR>If you need further information, write me.

sally Nov 11th, 2002 10:10 AM

I visited Italy the third week in March this year (2002) and had great weather. I was in Florence and Rome where it was in the 60s or 70s and sunny every day. I can't speak to other regions (Venice, Amalfi Coast, etc.) but if you are going to Rome or Florence that is a great time to go. Lots of sun, fewer crowds, cheaper hotel rates (friends stayed at the same hotel we did last month for almost $100 more per night). Also the chocolate stores are decorated for Easter which is fun.

Rex Nov 11th, 2002 11:37 AM

I often emphasize the importance of WHY in making initial travel plans for Europe in any season, and especially for first time travelers to Europe from the US. So, I would like to make it clear that the response from yyy is not from me, and it lacks something in basic politness - - including the courtesy of signing a name to it.<BR><BR>Even so, the questions it raises are apropos.<BR><BR>Sure there are other countries to recommend for March. Spain, Mexico, Japan,<BR><BR>But WHY do you want to go where - - is at the heart of any decision-making process you choose to follow.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

loislane17 Nov 11th, 2002 11:57 AM

yyy is a bit harsh, but there's the nugget of truth there, if not the tact. If you do your research, if you figure out the why and wherefore of your desire to travel then that will dictate when you go. If most of your travelling revolves around outdoor sites such as the Roman Forum or Paestum or Pompeii, it might be more difficult to move around. I choose an &quot;excuse&quot; to travel there every year: gardens one year (have to go more May/June or late Sept.), frescoes (anytime really, although large churches are really really cold in winter!), museum visits, food...whatever.<BR>ok-here's another thing-I've been going to Italy annually since forever and the one thing I know is that the weather is always &quot;unseasonably&quot; something: hot, cold, dry, wet, whatever. <BR>I've gone several times in March, the prices are rock bottom, there are almost (and I mean almost-there were still plenty of folks in Venice!) not many tourists, and museum access is easy. However, you will undoubtably be caught in rain. Venice floods a lot, especially in Feb/early March.<BR>Honestly, I don't care-I'm in Italy! It does put a damper on photography, but I have a small light travel umbrella, waterproof comfy shoes, and a long light microfiber raincoat-I am good to go! <BR>The savings, and the lack of crowds make it really worthwhile for me.<BR>However, if it is your first time and you have cash to burn, no restrictions on dates, and you're a savvy traveller about booking your museum visits and your hotels, you may want to shift slightly to mid April thru May or early September and almost all of October: Nicer weather, not quite the crowds (which is a relative term here). Just depends on your own restrictions and desires.<BR>Go when you can and enjoy-just make sure that you have done your research ahead of time to ensure that the places you hope to visit are open and won't be difficult to appreciate in the rain!<BR>Ciao!

Joanne Nov 11th, 2002 01:08 PM

I visited Venice and Tuscany the last week of March 2000 and the temperature was in the high 40s/low 50s and it rained about every other day. That was a little too cold/wet to enjoy walking around...but as Carol points out, in 2001 the weather was great. It was definitely cheaper, though...both airfare and hotel. And no crowds, even in Venice and Florence.

Chris Nov 11th, 2002 01:42 PM

This is the first time that I have checked to see if anyone has left a message for me and I was surprised to see how many people mentioned the yyy response, and I, being the person who left the intial question would like to respond to that. To yyy, you're rude. Drop the sarcasm. For your information I have been abroad, probably to more countries than you. But I don't want to sink down to your level and act obnoxious, so I will not continue on. The reason I left that question was because I am planning this trip for 5 different people all who have different demands, different interests, and different budgets. Quite frankly I don't want to go to Italy; when I was there in the summer it was bloody hot and I did not enjoy myself. That is why I questioned the weather. It has also been my experience that the guidebooks tend to sugar coat it, so I wanted more personal responses about the weather in March. When I asked about the different countries, yes, I should have been more specific about my situation . I just wanted some simple recommendations. So for the people that did do just that, thank you, I appreciate it. And for yyy, grow up.

Lorna Nov 11th, 2002 04:46 PM

I was in Italy in March a few years ago; like many others, I was attracted to the very reasonable rates. The week before we arrived weather was in the 60's so we packed sweaters and light jackets. Upon our arrival, however, we hit a cold spell and temps sank to the high 30's and low 40's. Layering took on new dimensions. At any given time I may have had on the entire contents of my suitcase. And it rained. Often. I guess spring weather is unpredictable in Rome, just as it is in most places.<BR><BR>That being said, we still had a marvelous time, and given the opportunity to return this March I would do so in a heartbeat.

up Nov 16th, 2002 11:56 AM

topping<BR>

loveitalia Nov 17th, 2002 02:00 AM

Le Cinque Terre (Italy's NW coast) in March is quite brisk and cool. I was there this year for over 3 weeks and it rained sporadically, and was windy at time; and at nights the temp dropped considerably. However, during the days it didn't rain, it was sunny, bright, and crisp out. I wore a leather jacket and that seemed to suffice.<BR><BR>If you are trying to decide about &quot;other countries&quot; to go to instead, I would stick to Italy and southern climes as all the other northern Europeans are trying to escape their cold environs and head south! Italia's the best bet.

Gigi Nov 17th, 2002 02:15 PM

Hi, Carol<BR>I have been to Italy for a period of three weeks each time that I was there. In the early part of March it was cooler in Venice, wonderful in Amalfi. It was 60 to 70 on average while in Florence and Rome. Not a drop of rain either trip. <BR>I would go with confidence that you will have pleasant weather and perhaps a drop of rain. But, that has been my experience in Spain, Portugal, England, Austria, and France which I have traveled to in March. I typically spend three weeks in March and only visit one country. It's fairly similar weather except England being a tad cooler.<BR>Enjoy and I hope you like Italy this time around. :)