Italy in late February?

Nov 7th, 2000, 02:24 PM
m.tyner

Italy in late February?

I'm thinking about a long weekend (4 or 5 days) in late February. I've been thinking about Lisbon, but began wondering about Italy. I imagine the Lakes will basically be shut down - and a couple guide books have said it's very rainy in Sciliy and Sardinia during Feb. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a "respite" type vacation - not looking to hoof it all over to sight see or party - a good meal, sitting in a cafe with a book (a light rain to keep the people a bay).

Nov 7th, 2000, 04:32 PM
xxx

I think that's almond blossom time in Sicily.

Nov 7th, 2000, 05:58 PM
elvira

We went to Bellagio in February, and it was definitely quiet, but certainly not shut down. Other than ski resorts, virtually all of Europe is quieter (read: few tourists) in February than spring, summer and fall. The 'cultural' season is in full swing: theater, dance, concerts, art exhibits, etc. are at your disposal. I hate being cold, so I don't do a lot of walking to see scenery in February, but the museums, historical sights and performances keep me busy. The priority for a long weekend is: someplace that doesn't take a long flight to get to it. Who wants to spend 48 hours of flight time for just a few days? If you can get good connections, then anyplace is good. Friends who just returned from Lisbon, after just a few days there, can't wait to go back. Bellagio is a short train/ferry ride from Milan, so if you can get an efficient flight, go for it. I would bet that Vienna would be terrific, too - especially if you're into coffee and cafes!
Connections to Sicily or Sardinia can be time-consuming, but if you can find a cheap airfare with little layover, then why not? You'd probably see and do things that travelers at other times might not - instead of visiting Roman ruins, you'd spend time at the opera or at an unusual exhibit or enjoying a night of song at a local tavern.
Damn your eyes, m.tyner, I just talked myself into a February trip....

Nov 7th, 2000, 06:39 PM
sandy

We went to Venice in March. It was incredible. We stayed at the Londra Palace Hotel, in a room with a view of San Giorgio. I cried, it was so beautiful. It was chilly, but we were lucky and didn't have a lot of rain.

Another place you might consider is Sorrento. The Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria is open all year. The view of the Bay of Naples is magnificent. You could arrange for a tour of the Amalfi Coast, without the hordes of summer. Fabulous.

Nov 8th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Carol

I was in Rome last year towards the end of February and it was gorgeous--very sunny and in the high 50's.

Nov 8th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Beth Anderson

My Italian prof said her absolute favorite time to be in Venice is January (probably would extend to "winter"). She is from Milan.

she said the fog is magical, and the city is fairly quiet...

Nov 9th, 2000, 07:29 AM
cc

If you come to Italy in February don't forgett your warm clothes. It can be beautiful but even rainy and cold (last year's February was untypical warm so don't think this was normal). For sure you will have more or less every Museum for your own and don't have to queu. But if you bring layering-look and waterproof shoes and something against wind you'r o.k. and you will enjoy it! Don't go to Sardegna then, everything will be closed down and then you need to know the Italian language. Sardegna is beautiful! But you have to start to go there in the beginning of June.

Sorry to use a fake Name but I'm tired about rude answers from other Fodor's users.