Italy in July....is it possible?

May 10th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Italy in July....is it possible?

Hello fellow travelers!

I am in love with Italy. Our April trip to Italy made me want to see more of it. The only time we can take time off is this July.

HOWEVER, every travel book I have looked at mentioned that July and August are NOT good months to visit Italy (too many tourists, too hot, etc).

Do you think it still will be worth it or will it become a frustrating experience that would spoil the whole trip?

We would like to spend 2 weeks (Rome --> Florence ---> West Coast ---> Venice).

Thanks for your time and opinions.
May 10th, 2006, 07:09 AM

I've been to Florence and Venice in July and still had a wonderful time. I didn't find those two cities to be too terribly hot, but cities farther south such as Rome might be. I also didn't find the extra people to put a damper on my trip in the least. Yes, it was warmer and more crowded than other times of year, but not to the point that I preferred not to be there.

IMO, if one can go to Italy at any time of year, one should take advantage of that fact and go....no matter what season it is.
May 10th, 2006, 07:11 AM
ira

Hi e,

What are your alternatives?

May 10th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Huh, funny you should ask. My only other option is August. THat is it.

We have taken the time to travel in March, some in April and May. Just a few short trips to Europe. Italy turned out to be my favorite. So I would absolutely love to come back, but July is the only option.

Thanks...
May 10th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Most of our traveling has to be done in the summer months when I am not teaching, so we have made 2 trips to Italy in July. Yes, it's hotter but it's ITALY. If you're worried about crowds, plan a trip to less traveled regions, stay out of cities or venture to them in that late afternoons/early evenings when the tour buses leave. The north is cooler than the south. We just came back from an April trip, and I would so love to do that again, but if our next trip, hopefully in summer 2007, falls in July, so be it. Again. it's ITALY!.
May 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM

If you're concerned about it being too hot in July, I suggest you consider the Piedmont region, Lake Como, Dolomites, and/or the Veneto region. All would be wonderful.

May 10th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I travelled to the 3 cities you mentioned last summer, during the supposed horrid months.

We survived. I didn't hear a peep from my dad, Mr. Melts-in-Humidity, or my uncle, Mr. Whines-in-Heat. Strange as they grew up in hot & humid climates.

Just make sure whatever hotel you choose has air-conditioning in the room, and be aware that the A/C there isn't as strong as the A/C in the US, or your typical office environment. That was enough to appease my little family.

Despite popular beliefs, Venice doesn't stink in the high heat of summer. If someone will fund my research, I'm willing to sacrifice my time and sniff-testing Venetian air all over Venice every summer.
May 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM

We were in Rome the end of June/beginning of July. It was H-O-T. Sorrento, Tuscany, Venice, Verona, Milan did not seem as hot after a few days in Rome.
May 10th, 2006, 09:06 PM

I forgot to mention - I'd go back in a second.
May 10th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Why not stay in Northern Italy this time, as someone else said the Lakes, Dolomites, Piedmont, Liguria and Cinque Terre, which will not be as hot as Central and Southern Italy. Mind you anywhere with water (Liguria and the Lakes) will be quite full with tourists but if you go in early July you will beat the great Italian exodus from the cities.