Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-in-july-25520/)

Happy Family May 8th, 1998 06:30 AM

Italy in July

We have just found out that we will be traveling to Italy in July. We are an American Family and will be traveling with our 4 1/2 year old. We have many questions:
1. What is Rome like for Americans who speak no Italian?
2. Are restaurants child friendly?
3. How do we avoid looking like tourists?
4. What is the best way to travel to Venice from Rome?
5. Has anyone heard about the EurAir pass - due to hit this summer?
6. What are the best buys? We're very much into food, pottery and the like, jewelry, and clothing.
7. What can we do with our child to escape the "tourist attractions"?
8. Should we plan to be in Venice for the Feast of the Redeemer?
10. What are services like at the Vatican?
11. What is crime like in Rome and Venice?
12. We would like to visit one other destination. Suggestions?
This is an unexpected trip for us and we would like to get the most out of it. Any information you feel you would like to pass on to us would be most appreciated - especially if it pertains to amusing our very well mannered 4 year old. Thanks!!!!!

Cheryl Z. May 8th, 1998 04:12 PM

hi - probably can't remember all your questions as I type this but will try. we've been to Italy several times and last July went to Venice, Florence and Rome. rome was out favorite. don't worry about not speaking the language, but do try to learn a few key words. Rome was our favorite, mainly for walking around and all the things to see. Don't drive in any of those big cities!!! You can find terrific pottery and ceramics in Florence and also North of there. We didn't hve kids with us but feel that most places are child-friendly as long as they're well behaved. As far as not looking touristy, somehow "they" always know who the Americans are. It will be HOT, don't dress too casual though, jeans are not really appropriate in Italy, and too heavy also. Wear darker neutral colors. Bermudas ok but can't get in lots of churchs in Rome. I felt more comfortable wearinglonger light weight summer dress. The average person tends to dress up a little more there it seems. Wear comfortable walking shoes. Pack light and have a great time.

Dayle May 8th, 1998 07:41 PM

I was in Itay in March, but I don't understand why everyone says Italians don't wear jeans. We saw LOTS of people from everywhere wearing jeans. Granted, if I was going in the summer, I would do long light dresses too! Be comfortable and you'll have a great time.

Sandy May 8th, 1998 08:45 PM

Speaking of Italian holidays, we're going to end up in Venice the weekend of Ferragoto, the Assumption of Mary (Aug.15). Anybody know if this will be an exciting opportunity or a problem?

Paul Rabe May 9th, 1998 01:08 PM

Crime in Italy (or just about anywhere in Europe) is not a problem EXCEPT for pickpockets -- and they are a REAL problem! Read a good guidebook for advice on how to avoid a pickpocket problem. If you are going from Rome to Venice, the ONLY way to go is by train. The Italians don't need Mussolini to make the trains run on time; you can get from almost anywhere to anywhere by train in less total time (i.e., trip from city to terminal, buying tickets, getting seated, trip from terminal to city center of destination) than by plane. Thus, if the EurAir Pass allows you to make several plane trips for one fair, I would strongly advise against it if you are only visiting Italy. Before you plan to buy anything in Italy (or anywhere in Europe), read the thread "Worth Buying Souvenirs?" in this Lounge Area. The gist of the advice is that almost anything you could want to buy in Europe can be had cheaper in the US -- and I mean the EXACT same items! So don't go to Europe expecting any bargains. Italy seems to be child-friendly society, so a child who isn't screaming should be well-accepted. The problem, of course, is how to keep a child sufficiently interested so s/he won't scream out of boredom! The only advise I can give (and, for the record, I am *not* a parent) is not to spend a lot of time in churches and museums, where you can't run around and make noise. Fortunately, in Italy, many of the most beautiful places are city plazas; where, as long as they don't jump into the fountains, kids can run around to their heart's content. Another idea is to show photo books of where you will be visiting; that way, when s/he finally gets to the place, s/he will say "Oh wow, there's the place we saw in the book!"

Joann May 9th, 1998 05:38 PM

I don't know what type of shopping you're interested in but Italy is the world leader in fashion right now. If you are considering any fashion purchases by known designers, just check ahead and find out the U.S. price. I was in Rome in late March and bought Ferragamo silk pocket squares for $39 each that sell for $100 right now at Neiman-Marcus. Ceramics are wonderful all over Italy but very difficult to carry back to the States.

Becky May 10th, 1998 02:56 PM

Your questions are better answered in a good travel guide...try Fodors Italy and others...Eyewitness.

Festivals in Venice are fantastic especially when a regatta is involved. HOLD ON TIGHTLY TO YOUR little one if he or she is particularly active. The crowds in San Marco are unbelievable and one step backwards into water means a visit to a hospital.

It is hard NOT to shop in Italy because even small pieces of ceramics are so beautiful. If you deal with large reputable shops which will ship that is one way to resolve the issue, but then cost becomes a separate issue. I have lots of small things I have collected through the years including a bad back from tugging too much luggage! Seriously, some of the best shopping (I hate to say this) is at the duty free shops, Ferragamo included, at the airports. I bought wonderful cotton squares, some of which I've framed, for less than $10 (Ferragamo).

On the issue of dress, covered shoulders and ankle length skirts or trousers (jeans are just too hot in July) will provide comfort and respect for the traditions of the Catholic churches.

Joe Lomax May 15th, 1998 09:27 AM

I have been to Rome and Venice during the Redentore with an exceptionally well-behaved 6-yr old and a somewhat well-behaved 3 yr old (averaged out, we had your kid). First and foremost: gelato twice a day for the kid. Utilize the 1-3:00 P.M. lull to take a nap. 1. Rome is not a big problem with no Italian, but if you have time, learn the words for foods. If you eat you survive anywhere and as for 'surviving' on local food, there is no place better than Italy. 2. Italian resturants are very child friendly, especially trattorias. I have friends who's child wore out and the owner held and amused the child while the parents ate. 3. No sneakers or ball caps. Do not sit on the marble ledges as they seem to hold grime that is only transferable to pants. 4. With child, the way to go from Rome to Venice is by the 11:30 P.M. overnight train. It gets into Venice at about 7:00 A.M. the following morning. If there are four of you, you can reserve a full coucette and lock yourselves in. This is quieter and safer. Perhaps it would be worth it for you to get two childrens' fares for the extra convenience. 6. The best bargains for the typical tourist items in Rome is a store that is mostly for religious articles, but has much of the rest. In the Borgo from the Porta Angelica, one block north, two east on the NW corner. As for general items: books on art. High quality graphics at a dandy price. 7. Do not underestimate the entertainment value of chasing pigeons to a 4 1/2 year old. Heaven may well be a Campari and soda with the love of your life watching your child chase pigeons in an piazza. Castel S. Angelo. Pony rides at the P. Garibaldi on the Gianicolo Hill. P.Navonna. Churches are actually good with small children if you typically take your to church and they know to be a bit quiet. They are cool and quiet, there is a place to sit down and often there is 20-40 minutes of things to see (a common attention span). Other than that follow the advice to keep to the streets and go only to small museums. 8. The Feast of the Redeemer (Il Redentore) fireworks are unbelievable. Better than those I have seen for the 4th in Chicago or Washington. See them if you can. I would suggest you not go over to the Giudecca to watch them like we did because it seemed to take forever to get back across the pontoon bridge. The crowds for the fireworks are tremendous so if Daddy is strong, figure he will be carrying the little muffin back to the hotel. 10. Services in English are common. Go to the Information station on the south side of the P.S. Pietro. Wear as you would in America and 'do in Rome ...' As for going around Venice, it is flat so walking is easy. I humbly suggest my page, Orienteering: Venetian Style http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/ovensty.htm for an alternative to the S.Marco, Doge, Canale Grande trip.

Joe Lomax May 15th, 1998 09:28 AM

I have been to Rome and Venice during the Redentore with an exceptionally well-behaved 6-yr old and a somewhat well-behaved 3 yr old (averaged out, we had your kid). First and foremost: gelato twice a day for the kid. Utilize the 1-3:00 P.M. lull to take a nap. 1. Rome is not a big problem with no Italian, but if you have time, learn the words for foods. If you eat you survive anywhere and as for 'surviving' on local food, there is no place better than Italy. 2. Italian resturants are very child friendly, especially trattorias. I have friends who's child wore out and the owner held and amused the child while the parents ate. 3. No sneakers or ball caps. Do not sit on the marble ledges as they seem to hold grime that is only transferable to pants. 4. With child, the way to go from Rome to Venice is by the 11:30 P.M. overnight train. It gets into Venice at about 7:00 A.M. the following morning. If there are four of you, you can reserve a full coucette and lock yourselves in. This is quieter and safer. Perhaps it would be worth it for you to get two childrens' fares for the extra convenience. 6. The best bargains for the typical tourist items in Rome is a store that is mostly for religious articles, but has much of the rest. In the Borgo from the Porta Angelica, one block north, two east on the NW corner. As for general items: books on art. High quality graphics at a dandy price. 7. Do not underestimate the entertainment value of chasing pigeons to a 4 1/2 year old. Heaven may well be a Campari and soda with the love of your life watching your child chase pigeons in an piazza. Castel S. Angelo. Pony rides at the P. Garibaldi on the Gianicolo Hill. P.Navonna. Churches are actually good with small children if you typically take your to church and they know to be a bit quiet. They are cool and quiet, there is a place to sit down and often there is 20-40 minutes of things to see (a common attention span). Other than that follow the advice to keep to the streets and go only to small museums. 8. The Feast of the Redeemer (Il Redentore) fireworks are unbelievable. Better than those I have seen for the 4th in Chicago or Washington. See them if you can. I would suggest you not go over to the Giudecca to watch them like we did because it seemed to take forever to get back across the pontoon bridge. The crowds for the fireworks are tremendous so if Daddy is strong, figure he will be carrying the little muffin back to the hotel. 10. Services in English are common. Go to the Information station on the south side of the P.S. Pietro. Wear as you would in America and 'do in Rome ...' As for going around Venice, it is flat so walking is easy. I humbly suggest my page, Orienteering: Venetian Style http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/ovensty.htm for an alternative to the S.Marco, Doge, Canale Grande trip.

charles incorvaia May 16th, 1998 05:15 PM

Regarding your question about shopping in Italy, buy jewelery and leather in Florance, glass items in Venice.