Italy in January

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:52 PM
Mary K.

Italy in January

Planning a tour to Italy (it's all we can afford) Trafalgar. Has any one done the 11 day Rome, Florence, Venice, Verona, Isle of Capri etc.??? How cold is the weather then? Any suggestions? Thanks so much. Mary

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 09:18 AM
eu

Rome and Florence are nice in Januar.Not Venice and Verona.From florence you can visit in few hours Siena,Pienza,Montepulciano in Tuscany,Cinque Terre,Portovenere,Lerici in Liguria.
Ciao

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 09:19 AM
Surlok

I was in Italy from late December/97 to early January/98. In the northern Italy, it was extremelly cold, Milan, Verona, and Venice, but it started to warm up when we headed to Florence. It had ben snowing in Tuscany, though, and when this happen, is extremely difficult to drive.
In Assisi and Rome, the weather was just fine, a little chilly, but OK. It didn't rain, but this was four years ago, and the weather and climate has been changing all over the world since then.

Surlok

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 01:59 PM
micia

I don't know where everyone else is from, but from reading the posts above it made me think they were saying it is not cold in Rome in Jan.

It is true the weather gets better somewhat the further south you go, but I can tell you it will be cold. I would suggest bringing a good coat and scarf, as it sounds like you are going to be in some windy places.
January is the coldest month of the year. Judge by that.
I will also tell you that everyone wheres a coat at that time.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 02:13 PM
Surlok

I had to wear an overcoat in Milan, Verona, Venice, and Florence, but not in Rome,where I wore only a leather jacket, and that was enough. Maybe I was lucky..;-)

Surlok

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 02:15 PM
micia

Surlok
You are obviously not one to have a problem with the cold.
As everyone I know that lives in Rome is cold and wheres a coat.