Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy in February - What would be a great area to visit during that time of the year?

Italy in February - What would be a great area to visit during that time of the year?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:37 PM
Mariarosa

Hi! Last March we spent 2 weeks in Italy, part of the time skiing in the Dolomites, and part of the time visiting Venice, Vicenza, Ferrara, Ravenna, Bolzano, Trento, and Verona (If anyone needs help with these places, just ask!). We are now planning a trip to Italy in February '02 to ski and visit new places. We are thinking of skiing the Aosta region (Northwest Italy) and are looking for ideas of what to do for 8-10 days afterwards. We are mainly considering the Lakes region, Cinque Terre, Tuscany, Sicily, and Southern Italy (anything from Amalfi Coast to Pompeii to Paestum to Taranto, Basilicata, etc.). Considering that some of these areas are very dependent on tourism, and hotels and restaurants close down for the winter (in particular Amalfi) what would be a great place to visit in the dead of winter? We are seeking to avoid crowds (this would be my 3rd time in Italy in the winter so we know what to expect), but we also don't want to go to a region where everything will be closed because there are usually more tourists than locals!

Note: We have been to the major cities (Rome, Florence, Venice, etc.) on multiple occassions and are looking for different ideas.

THANKS!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:46 PM
Kay

Hi Mariarosa,
We've also been to Italy before and are planning on going back in March next year. What is the weather like at that time of year? We'll start in Rome and visit Venice, Cinque Terre, Lucca, Sorrento (not sure where else at this stage). We don't intend going further north than Venice due to the cold. Did you need a warm coat or just a rainjacket? Is it cold enough to warrant thermal underwear? We live in the southern hemisphere and I'm having difficulty imagining how cold it will be. Any info would be appreciated.
Kay

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Kay! Last year in Northern Italy (Venice, Ferrara, Vicenza, and Ravenna) in March I wore an all-weather jacket (waterproof), a light wool sweater, and gloves (I get cold easily). It was mostly in the 40's in the daytime, and it drizzled a few days. A few days that were sunny, the temperature went up to the 50's. If you bring a jacket (with insulation) you will definitely not need thermal underwear. I would bring a jacket and not a raincoat for Venice in March. Cinque terre should also have temperature similar to Venice due to the proximity to the water, and due to the fact that it is in the North.

A few years ago I went to Rome and Florence in March, and the weather there was warmer than Northern Italy, about 50's-60's most of the time.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Buon giorno Mariarosa, For a good southern itinerary go to www.twenj.com and look under the travelouges to find my trip report. It is called " Navigating with Bob and Ed". It will be cold in the north in Feb. but decent in Sicily and the Salentine area[ the heel of the boot]. Taranto is a dirty industrial town, but Lecce and Alberobello are worth your time. Look at the report for other suggestions.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:24 AM
kam

I would head straight to Sicily. Hopefully, the rains will have slowed and the temperatures should be ideal. You will find all hotels in Palermo open and the majority of those in Siracusa and Taormina as well. Just as a side thought, Morocco is terrific at that time of year too.