Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy in early November--go north or south from Rome?

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Ruth

We've decided to used our frequent flyer miles to get tickets to Italy, but the airline can't get us there until the end of October/beginning of November. We'll be flying in and out of Rome. Question is whether we head south to the Amalfi Coast or other area or north to Emilia/Romagna/Piedmonte. We haven't been south at all but have been in Venice and Tuscany. Does anyone have any experience with the weather in these areas in early November? We obviously would expect the south to be warmer, but have no idea what to expect either place in terms of temperature or rain. The food of the north, especially the opportunity to experience truffles in season, is appealing. Would appreciate any and all feedback.

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Dianne

I've been to the Amalfi coast in November and it was beautiful. Still lots of flowers, leaves on the trees, t-shirt/light jacket temperatures, though cool at night. Best of all, crowds were very light as was traffic on the Amalfi coast. The Amalfi coast buses were uncrowded. Even the popular isle of Capri was not overrun. Pompeii was the only place we encountered a lot of tourists at this time of year. Some hotels start to close for the season at the end of October. November can be rainy, but it wasn't when I was there. I haven't been to the other area you are considering.

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:46 AM
LJ

WE were in Itlay in mid-late Novemeber for 2 weeks last year. We travelled south as far as the Gargano Peninsula on the Adriatic Coast and it got both warmer and wetter as we went south. It was cooler but clearer in the Abruzzo (Chieti, Lanciano et al) and also fine but cool (50-60) in Florence. I found a heavy sweater rotated with a raincoat worked just fine and some nice days a long sleeved turtleneck and pants were perfect in both Rome and Tuscany. We have friends who live further south on the Adriatic coast, Brindisi-Ostounia-Bari area and November is quite mild there 65-70...

Old May 10th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Tracey

I was in Italy over Thanksgiving last year. I traveled from Rome-Siena-Venice-Florence-Zurrich. That was all I could get for my free tickets, but it worked out great. I didn't have to back track at all. If you haven't confirmed your reservations, you should find out where you want to end up and fly out from there. Since you are using frequent flyer miles, it's the same amount no mater where in Europe you fly out of. The cities we visited were quite chilly and required a warm fleece jacket, gloves and a scarf. It also rained every day in Venice, but it was still very beautiful. We didn't let anything slow us down. I just posted my itinery for another person. You can look it up. It gives hotel names and where they we located. If you have any questions, you can email me.
Enjoy!

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Ruth

Thank you all very much for the info. I think I would take the cooler weather over the wetter weather. Tracy, the airlines we can get tickets on can only get us in and out of Rome--returning from Milan is not possible until Thanksgiving!