Reload this Page >

Italy in August,good or bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:56 PM
georgia

I'm planning a trip to Italy and I have heard that August is a bad month to visit. Is this true?

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:40 AM
Gar

yes, it is. Specialy in the south it is very hot, and they have water problem in some places. Most of the tourist places and beaches are overcrowded. The prices are very high. And the land look "burned". If possible, try to make it in May/June. You will love, find perhaps Venice nearly empty of tourists, and everywhere a hotel to stay. <BR>have fun <BR>Gar

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:00 AM
xyz

Never CHOOSE August if you can go instead in spring or fall. But if you're a teracher or a student and that's the only time you can go, don't worry about any of the negatives and just go and enjoy it. The negatives themselves, like getting stuck on a crowded train when the entire male population of the south is riding down from their jobs in the north to their home towns, or riding from home back up to the north after vacation, can be an interesting cultural experience in instead. Italy will always be fascinating and it's better to go at a "bad" time than not at all.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:02 AM
xyz

meant "in itself" not "in instead" <BR>meant "tracher" <BR> <BR>That's what I get for playing on the computer too early -- why I don't know

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:04 AM
kate

The whole of italy goes on holiday in august, so it will be very hot and crowded. Having said that, I have been in august and didn't mind it. <BR> <BR>As for Venice being quiet in May/June - no way! This is one of the most popular times for visiting, and what's more, Venice is ALWAYS full of tourists (I heard last night that throughout the year tourists out number locals by 3 to 1). Apparently the quitest time is January, if you can stand the rain!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 09:59 AM
michele

Georgia, <BR>If you can travel any other month, do it. <BR>August is just too hot and crowded. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Linda

Don't go to Italy in August if you have an option. All of Italy takes its vacation in August. Sometimes finding restaurants that are open is really difficult. And the crowds are terrible.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 08:36 PM
wendy

WE went to rome, positano, venice, and florence in August last year. It was fine- nothing was closed- all stores , restaurants, etc., were opened. Was it that crowded? Not me me. Any questions, email

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 11:40 PM
liz

Yes ,it's crowded. But do not let that stop you from visiting the most magnificant place on the face of the earth! I have been to New York during the summer and have faced more crowds! <BR>Go and have fun, and make reservations prior, you'll be fine!