Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy in April, what to pack? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-in-april-what-to-pack-602763/)

F4grrrl Mar 27th, 2006 06:30 AM

Italy in April, what to pack?

April 11 - 22, Florence to Naples, do i even bother with Shorts? Capris? Any clothing input appreciated! I am definitely not wearing white shoes! :)

bellini Mar 27th, 2006 06:39 AM

If you're in the cities- please no shorts!
Smart trousers, comfortable shoes and layered shirt/sweater. Light jacket and an umbrella- showers not ruled out.

suze Mar 27th, 2006 06:46 AM

To my thinking, it's more about the weather, I think April is a little early in the season for shorts.

I would pack pieces that are color coordinated to each other, so they mix and match, and can be layered, in fabrics that pack nicely (I like most knits and rayon, cotton, silk).

I would take 2-3 pair of pants, t-shirts and tops with various sleeve lengths, a lightweight cardigan sweater and/or blazer, at least 2 pair of comfortable shoes. I would probably toss in 1 each shorts and capris, just because if you do hit some nice weather, well I hate to be dressed to hot myself.

rickandpat Mar 27th, 2006 07:01 AM

I was in Italy April 1-18 last year, Rome up to Cinque Terre by way of Florence, then down to the Amalfi Coast. The weather was for the most part cool, one or two hotter days (but still pants were the way to go since it was quite cool in the mornings). I didn't see any shorts or capris. However, I believe you should take what is comfortable for you, just be prepared for temps in the 40s-70s, and have a light rain jacket just in case (it can also be your windbreaker).

laartista Mar 27th, 2006 07:40 AM

Yes, April might be cool for shorts but if you get a couple of warm days capris are fine. Was in Italy last month and did go shopping. all the stores from high end to low end are showing capris and bermuda shorts. Also, I agree with no white tennis shoes but white shoe shoes are all over the place in the windows, especially ballerina flats.

turbokid Mar 27th, 2006 11:28 AM

Hello,

Leaving for Venice 05/03/06. Departing Houston, Texas. I have been checking airfare regularly. I have noticed that prices as of 03/27 run $800 - $900. Is this typical?

Tiff Mar 27th, 2006 12:16 PM

Hi F4grrrl ~

I think no matter the season the key is to layer. When I first traveled to Rome & Florence it was the last week of April. I was in Florence with slacks and a short sleeve shirt but in Rome it was warmer. I still was ok with the same attire, but if had been any warmer, I would have been uncomfortable.

The most recent trip to Florence & Venice was in January, and even though it was winter, we still layered and I am glad we did because the weather varied greatly.

Brookstone has some very nice, small, lightweight umbrellas, it may rain, it did for us. Ironically, the rainy days were among my favorites.

Wear comfortable shoes that are well broken in.

As far as clothes, just wear what YOU feel good in! Pack light.

Have fun, Tiff