Italy in a week!

Search

Italy in a week!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in a week!

I just found out my husband and I are going to Pisa in one week. We will be in Italy for a week. I know I want to go to Florence and Tuscany but that is it. I would love any suggestions on must see towns, hotels, activities, driving or other transportation, dining, etc. What to wear in January? I only have a week to plan!! Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM

You'll be near Lucca which is worth a look--and lots of great restaurants -- try to look up the New York Times article on Lucca restaurants within last few months.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:51 PM

How exciting! A last-minute vacation? Or work related? Will you be taking daytrips alone while your husband is busy?

A few thoughts:

1. Buy a couple of guides from Fodor's or Rick Steves and contact the hotels there. Or search this website under "Pisa Hotels" and "Florence Hotels" for ideas. Also try Venere.com or tripadvisor.com

2. After you finalize hotel reservations, try to get reservations for the Uffizi Museum and the Academy Museum. These two are the "must sees" in Florence. Search this site for how to do it. Or perhaps your hotel could if you email them.

Weather:
What part of the country are you from?
Italy can be very cold in the winter, and you will probably be walking a lot outside. I would encourage silk long underwear, a very thick wool coat, scarf or hat, and some good sweaters.

Tuscany is the region that Florence is in. Florence is "Firenze" in Italian.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
ira

Hi A,

Lucky you.

How long will you be in Pisa?

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick suggestions! My husband will be looking at some stone in Lucca for business but the rest of the trip will be for fun. Should we stay a night or two in Lucca or Pisa? Would you suggest two nights in Florence? I don't know if it would be best to move from hotel to hotel or just take day trips. We live in Houston so I guess I need to pack like I do for our ski trips to Colorado?!?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Given a choice, I would stay in Lucca and day trip from there. Florence is an hour by train. Palazzo Alexander is a good place to stay. Be sure to eat at Buca di San Antonio.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Hi ahammer,

I can assist with the what to wear in January as we were there at the end of Jan and first of Feb last year.

The best advice I can give is to layer. The weather can and will vary from day to day or place to place. Bring a comfortable jacket that allows you to layer, if it is wind and rain resistent even better.

Wear one pair and pack one pair of comfortable well broken in shoes. Again, if they are somewhat water resistent that is a plus.

A scarf and gloves are a plus and don't take up much room. We sometimes need them and sometimes did not.

I will top off my trip report for you, as we visited some of the areas you have interest in.

You will have a beautiful time. I would secure hotel reservation as soon as possible.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Don't know if someone mentioned it already, but Pisa is also in Tuscany. So you are in Tuscany when you are in either Pisa or Florence.

Pisa is a neat college city that we like (at least in the warmer months--haven't been in winter), but, besides those around the famous tower, it does not have a lot of popular tourist sights.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Since you are in Tuscany, rent a car and drive to San Gimignano, Lucca, Sienna or Montalcino. Driving is very easy from Pisa and gives you a better feel for the countryside than a train. If this is your first time in Italy though, keep your sense of adventure, use the trains and definitely go into Florence after you have made Museum reservations (posted already).
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Uma

If you decide to stay in Lucca, I second bobthenavigator's suggestion to
eat at Buca di Sant Antonio. If you stay at Palazzo Alexander, go for a suite. We only spent a night there, loved "Max," who was very accommodating, enjoyed our included breakfast,liked the location, but didn't like our tiny room with paper thin walls. If you are an art lover,
besides David and the Uffizi, check out the Bargello Museum and/or the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo(no reservations needed for either). La Giostra is a fun place to eat in Florence. Don't miss the Duomo in Siena, if you go there.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM

If you are an art lover, I would probably stay in Lucca for part of my time and see the small towns, then move to a hotel in Florence because there is just so much there. The Medici Chapel (sculpture by Michaelangelo), the San Marco Monastary (frescos by Fra Angelico), the Pitti Palace (too much to mention), etc. Should all be in the guide book. I loved being in old Florence and getting up and walking to the sites in minutes.

It all depends on what you enjoy.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM

I agree with eating at Buca -- be sure to get a reservation though -- we saw quite a few people turned away.