Italy in 7-8 days

Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in 7-8 days

We are a family of three, husband wife and a 2.5 yrs old kid.
We are in the very initial phases of planning our trip to Italy. Our first stop will be Paris, France. After a good visit to central France like : Paris, Loire Valley etc we are planning to head to Italy.
Can some one suggest on the itinerary.
We have just come up with some places we would like to visit:
Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany country side, Cinque Terra.

We would be looking for a 7-8 days trip. Please share you views and comments.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:31 AM

What week in the year would this be?
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
where are you going after Italy?
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 11:08 AM

You will do well to see Rome and Florence in that time.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 11:16 AM

I think we need some more information, like how long they have in Paris and the Loire, and where they are going after Italy. It seems a long way to go for 7-8 days when there are many lovely things they could do in France, such as a visit to the Vendee, or Brittany, or the Dordogne, all of which would be easier to get to and might be more fun with a 2 ½ year old than a rushed trip to Italy.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
7-8 days is not <i>nearly</i> long enough for Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany country side, and the Cinque Terra. And the CT is not an easy place to visit with a toddler.

When is the trip and what sorts of things interest you?
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Agree with janis - 7-8 days you only have time for Paris and maybe Venice or Rome -I'd stay in either France or Italy - trains are great everywhere - there is an overnight train Paris to Venice-get a private compartment and bring any food or drink aboard -www.thello.com for booking -to get a fix on night trains and trains in general check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Paris 3 nights
Venice 2 nights
Rome 3 nights

best possible scenario for both Paris and Italy - still very rushed - fly into Paris and out of Italy.

Again I suggest you just do Paris and say Loire Valley for a few days or Italy - could do Venice, Florence and Rome at most. CT takes a long time getting to and is overhyped IMO -nice towns but horrendous overcrowding during summer at least.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>7-8 days you only have time for Paris and maybe Venice or Rome -<<

>>Again I suggest you just do Paris and say Loire Valley for a few days or Italy - could do Venice, Florence and Rome at most.<<

I'm pretty sure the OP means 7 or 8 days for just the Italy bits. Not for Paris, the Loire AND Italy. Still not enough time though . . .
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 02:34 PM

Assuming you have 7 days in Italy: I have not been to CT so cannot comment on that but Florence was my fave from the 3 main cities then Rome then Venice. You can easily spend 5 days just in Rome, but since you have 7 days you can spend 2 days in each city. Rome is very touristy so is Venice, Florence a little less. You can also make a day trip from Florence to Pisa to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Hope that helped a little bit! Enjoy Italy!!
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 10:08 AM

sarus, 2 days in each city requires 3 nights in each and they don't seem to have time for that.

Also, such an aggressive itinerary can be hard for adults let alone a small child.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:15 AM

You can see a few of the most famous chateaux of the Loire on a day trip from Paris -take TGV to Tours and from the station mini-bus tours of half- or full-day.

There are several companies doing this -Chenonceau is the prettiest along with Azay-le-Rideau and Chambord IMO.

http://www.accodispo-tours.com/join-in-tours.html
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:17 AM

posted immaturely:

http://www.accodispo-tours.com/join-in-tours.html -This is one of several - uses mini-buses and has semi-guided tours - taking you to the castles and providing commentary on the Loire en route and more expensive personal tours -From the Tours train station.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:30 AM

I think you meant prematurely, Pal.

sarus, the math just doesn't work for an itinerary like that. Add in a small child and it makes no sense at all.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Yes prematurely - wow!
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 01:11 PM

Old Jul 17th, 2017, 01:43 PM

There are LOADS of people who spend less than a day in Florence in between Venice and Rome. It's an VERY common travel thing to do. Also, there are LOADS of people who spend 2 nights in Venice and declare just perfect like Goldilocks. Rome is trickier if people want to include a full on looksee at the Vatican that includes the Vatican museums, plus tour the most famous sights of antiquity. Don't think that is possible in less than 3 nights.

Some times of year are not great for either le Cinque Terre or Venice (or Florence in my book, but others will go no matter what the temps or crowds).

The questions that have been asked of the OP, if answered, will yield more precise advice, but these diktats and formulas, vehemently announced, are worthless.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 01:47 PM

By the way, the OP's first post is ambiguous as to how many of the places mentioned are being mentioned as anything more than places of possible interest. I don't see a request to come up with travel logistics to include all the destinations. They'll need to clarify.y
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can only travel as fast as the 2.5 y.o. can handle.

If the child is having trouble adjusting to the time change, your first day or two in Paris could be impacted.

If naps will be part of the daily routine, the extent of your daily sightseeing will be impacted.

If you plan to eat dinner in restaurants, you'll have to acclimate your child to eating later in the evening than is probably your typical dinner time.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 02:24 PM

Our first stop will be Paris, France. After a good visit to central France like : Paris, Loire Valley etc we are planning to head to Italy.
Can some one suggest on the itinerary.
We have just come up with some places we would like to visit:
Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany country side, Cinque Terra.>

I don't see a request to come up with travel logistics to include all the destinations. They'll need to clarify>

Seems pretty clear to me what places they want to visit.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 02:33 PM

PalenQ

But it is ambiguous as whether they want to visit ALL or SOME of them THIS TRIP>

TravelDreamz,

Traveling with a very small child in Venice & Florence can be difficult -- Venice has loads of bridges that are tiring to cross, and many of the most famous sights of Florence are about viewing artworks in interiors where small children have a hard time. it can also be a challenge to visit Rome with a small child when it comes to pushing a stroller, although many parents figure out a way if they are motivated.

Renting a car and seeing the Tuscan countryside might be great for the core of your trip. If you are going in summer beach weather, then the Italian Riviera has lovely spots for small children, but le Cinque Terre itself is steep and with pebble beaches. There are other towns quite nearby that are beautiful that are easier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -