Italy in 12 days

Search

Italy in 12 days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in 12 days

I'm planning a trip to italy with my younger sister (17). I'm 20, and we'd like suggestions on interesting day trips close to venice or florence (our flight is into venice and out of florence). We'd also like suggestions on good hostels to stay in because we're trying to budget as much as possible. We'd like to have a relaxing trip, but to also get in some sight seeing. my sister is a violinist, and i draw. We are both very into exercise and any kind of physical activity. We are both also interested in exploring the nightlife. If there are any places or cities where my sister would have a more difficult time because of her age, that would be great to know too. thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:52 PM
rex

Nice to see you that you figured out on your own to re-post this question and at least give some idea about what (where) your post asks questions about.

Ideally, you'll attract more answers here. Which is all the more reason to not "orphan" the initial reply you got on your "other" earlier post...

==============

Author: Patrick
Date: 07/05/2005, 08:58 pm

I'm of another generation, but I would suggest you go to Verona and see an opera in the arena while there. It would be a major experience. There are always free or cheap concerts in some of the churches in Venice (and I think in Florence) and they often have string quartets. I'm sure your sister would love that.

Verona also has a lively and young night life scene. Also Padua being a major university town could be lots of fun and is very interesting as well. Either a single night in each of those or day trips from one to the other or even from Venice is possible.

=================

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM
JohnWM

From Florence, you could take a day trip by rail to the town of Ferrara, and also to the city of Pisa. Both are charming historic sites with a city center that is not far from the railroad station and that is easy to walk around. Orvieto is also a charming town, and is within easy reach by rail from Florence. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM

My daughter (21) has been studying in Siena since March and we visited her in May and it's a great place for young people. (Older people too). There's also a university there and it's really fantastic. Easy bus ride from florence.

She also loved Padua (as suggested).

Check out guidebooks at bookstores or the library plus there are many great italian websites--you could just google each city and you'll get lots of information as well as in many trip reports here.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:23 AM

While in Venice, try to catch the concerti at Chiesa San Vidal. Your sister will love it.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:01 AM

I'm seconding the suggestions WRT Verona and Siena. Both are amazing cities with plenty to see and do.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM
ira

Hi emma,

For accomodations in Florence, I can highly recommend the B&B Peterson.

www.bedinflorence.it

Daytrips, in this order,

Siena
Orvieto
Bologna

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:53 PM

you'll see plenty of other posts on this subject if you search around, but here's my two cents:
Venice daytrips: verona (I second the arena/opera suggestion, and I don't even like opera), and maybe consider a small town to the north, where you can see the beautiful Dolomites.
Florence: Siena, Pisa and Lucca. By searching you can find more info on all these towns. Pisa is very easy to walk through, and the Leaning Tower is fun to see. Lucca is a walled-city, and my wife and I (in our 20s) enjoyed renting bikes and riding around on the city walls for an hour or two. There are no cars allowed on the walls, which have been converted into a unique park-like area. Only a couple euros to rent the bikes. Only about 5 euros each to train or bus to these towns from Florence (about an hour trip).
In 12 days you will have plenty of time to see Florence, Venice and at least 4 daytrips while still maintaining the relaxing trip you desire.