Odd situation. My friend is American and visited her family in Italy last year. Her mother is American but has a permit to stay, and her brothers are Italian citizens (with a different father). Because they share a different father, she is not Italian.
She has wanted to apply for a permit to stay for quite some time. However her mother has been stealing money from her, and has delayed the whole process. She has now been in Italy, mostly penniless, for a year. The people she is asking to complete the forms are taking forever (her mother and step father) and her mother, after stealing over 4000 euros (meaning she cannot afford a ticket home) has kicked her out.
So here's the problem. She wants a permit to stay. She has been illegal for almost a year. She has no money to get back, and simple wants to get the permit to stay in the same country as her brothers. She does not want to be a tourist, she merely wants to be with her family.
What I am trying to find out for her is if she can still legally apply for the permit even though her 3 months have expired?
I'm concerned that because she is now illegal, the process cannot move forward. Her mother will probably fill in the forms / vouch her for her, but she will inevitably need her own place.
Can she still apply for the permit whilst illegal? Will she likely get it?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 2 Rome Hotel
- 3 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 4 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 5 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 6 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 7 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 8 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 9 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 10 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 11 Room in Boppard with a Rhine view
- 12 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 13 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 14 Looking for B&B Recommendations Killarney Ireland
- 15 Driving from Bouzies to Figeac
- 16 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 17 Finally The Bowl Has Begun
- 18 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 19 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 20 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 21 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 22 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 23 Easter Week in Italy
- 24 Moscow Hotels
- 25 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?