Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy hotels - what do you think of my choices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rome, Hotel Forum nov. 8-13
Siena, Piccolo Oliveta nov. 13-16
Florence, Hotel Silla nov. 16-19.

Are these good choice hotels? I've done so much research and I think I'm going batty. It's so hard to chose. Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM

the hotel forum is a great hotel. very close to the forum with a great view from the restaraunt and bar on the roof. however, its a bit far from the rest of the major sites to walk. but cabs are relatively cheap. you will like the hotel. the others i dont know about,.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Hotel Silla is a good choice. It is across the Arno from the main sites, but is still quite close to everything you'd want to see. Only a 5 minute walk to Sante Croce. Our room was spacious and the bathroom was quite large by European standards. Our friends had a smaller room, but it was still lovely. Breakfast is served (in the warmer months) on the terrace - very nice.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM

For good value, I like it.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:19 PM

I agree with the previous poster re the Silla. You can not go wrong with this hotel. Nice rooms, great breakfast and it makes for a very nice (and short) walk to the main attractions of Florence. Don't know the other hotels you have listed, but we did stay at the Santa Chiara in Rome (right next to the Parthenon). Great hotel but a little pricey (for us anyway) but well worth the extra money.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Melissajoy

Another yes vote for Hotel Silla. It's on the south side of the Arno, yet it's near the Ponte alle Grazie bridge and so a short walk to the Uffizi Gallery and the Santa Croce areas on the other side of the river, and also it's an easy walk to the Boboli gardens which are on the south side of the river, same side as the hotel.

The Hotel Silla is a pleasant hotel with good prices. It's not fancy but it's clean and comfty and the people at the desk are helpful. It's in a relatively quiet neighborhood. (The other side of the river is noisy in comparison!)

If you need to do laundry have the hotel call you a taxi and there's an uncrowded laundromat in a nearby local neighborhood on the same side of the river as the hotel. Little grocery store near the laundromat.