Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Hotels - Feedback Needed Rome, Amalfi, Positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-hotels-feedback-needed-rome-amalfi-positano-727728/)

Fairfieldgirl Aug 9th, 2007 06:15 PM

Italy Hotels - Feedback Needed Rome, Amalfi, Positano

Headed to Italy later this month/early Sept. We are currently staying at the Santa Caterina in Amalfi and the Hotel Eden in Rome and Hotel Poseidon in Positano. Does anyone have feedback on these while there is still time to edit reservations? Did you enjoy your stay? Please help!

tinamidon Aug 10th, 2007 05:14 AM

I just returned last week from Rome & Positano (also Venice, Montalcino & Lake Maggiore...). While I am not familiar with your particular hotels in these locations, I can offer information on where we stayed & thoughts on general locations.

In Rome, we stayed @ Marriott Flora on Via Veneto. This was a lovely place & area was nice, but it just was not convenient to what we wanted to see. There were really no sites in walking distance except for the Villa Borghese. Next time, I would stay in the Piazza Navona area, maybe Trevi Fountain area. We dined in Trastevere & it was active & fun, but don't think I'd want to stay there....tons of graffiti...I'm not sure where the Hotel Eden is located...

Positano, we stayed @ Hotel Albergo California. We really enjoyed this place & location. It is about 1/2 way up the hillside so it was "walkable" to the beach & to several shops & restaurants. It was not an EASY walk on the uphill return, but it could be done. We were high enough to have amazing views, but low enough to walk to the beach. The hotel owners are very friendly & accommodating & their prices are quite reasonable for Positano.

I am not sure why you would stay in Amalfi AND Positano on the same trip..??..it is very close to Positano. In fact, we rented a boat (small rubber) & cruised the coast down to Amalfi...1/2 hour via water...maybe. If I wanted to split some time, I think I would try a few nights on Capri for a change, but to me, Amalfi is too close & similar to Positano. BTW, we were glad we chose Positano over Amalfi...but really did not spend much time there to get a true "feel" for it...

Have a great trip!

tinamidon Aug 10th, 2007 05:19 AM

A light bulb just went on & I DO remember the Hotel Poseidon in Positano. I actually had considered staying there. It is just above the Hotel California. It looks lovely & probably same views as we had. I can't remember if I chose California because of price or reviews or why...we needed a room for 4 so that really limited our choices. I think its a great choice...did you check Tripadvisor? I think it has really good reviews if my memory serves me...

davidjac Aug 10th, 2007 06:09 AM

Stayed at the Posiedon and it was great, the room, the food, the pool, and especially the views. Have agreat time

ira Aug 10th, 2007 06:12 AM

>I am not sure why you would stay in Amalfi AND Positano on the same trip..??

Me neither.

((I))

bobthenavigator Aug 10th, 2007 06:20 AM

All very good hotels---can I tag along?

Fairfieldgirl Aug 10th, 2007 07:27 AM

Only staying in Amalfi because I have been to the Santa Caterina before and LOVED it. Too expensive in peak season to be there all four nights and only had pricey rooms left, and I figured it makes a day trip to Ravello a bit easier since it's so close.

Also want to experience Positano, so even though the towns are very near one another, we will be in each for two nights. I know this might not be the smartest plan, but I know S.C in Amalfi will keep me happy, and with Hotel Poseidon, we can explore Positano and take the hydrofoil to Capri and then have dinner one night in Montepertuso.

Does this sound okay?

ira Aug 10th, 2007 07:49 AM

>Does this sound okay?

Yup

Weadles Aug 10th, 2007 09:30 AM

I'm a big fan of The Hotel Poseidon. It's a wonderful choice with excellent food, views, and service! The only negative I can ever think to tell people about is the "swimming pool", which is not much bigger than a oversized bathtub. Anyway, we love the place, and would happily go back again and again.

This is NOT the case for the Hotel Eden in Rome, although please note that we stayed there a few years ago. The hotel itself wasn't worth the money then- we had a small room with a barely working AC unit and almost no view- and we didn't care for the location which is too far from most of the main sightseeing areas. Also, we found it hard to get back to the hotel at night from places like Trastevere.