Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy hotel wants check to guarantee room..easiest way?

Mar 5th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Maddy

This is a first for me...I have to send a check to guarantee a reservation in Italy. It seems like a bit of a pain but it's a small family-run hotel that gets good word of mouth and I think it will be worth the trouble. They will accept Euro or $. Anyone know the easiest, cheapest way to do this? Thanks Maddy

Mar 5th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Wayne

Maddy---
If they want a check, just write the check for the required amount of dollars and mail it to them. I've done this before and it's never been a problem. Sometimes the hotel will retain the check without cashing it until you arrive, then they will take cash from you and return your check. And sometimes they do indeed cash it. Just depends on the hotel. All it costs you is a 60 cent stamp (postage for Europe).

Mar 5th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Maddy

Sorry I should have been clearer about the kind of check. No personal check - he said bank draft or post check. (And prefer Euro but $ would be okay). Not sure what he meant by post check but there was a bit of a language barrier so I may have misunderstood. Do you think a travelers check would work?

Mar 5th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Wayne

Maddy--
I suspect a traveler's check MIGHT work, but if you don't have one you might as well send a bank check unless you get traveler's checks for no fee. The sure thing is to go to the bank and get a cashier's check (also known as a bank draft sometimes) made out to the hotel for the amount of dollars they request. There may or may not be a fee for the cashier's check, depending on whether you are a bank customer.

Mar 5th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Jim

I sweated this one out myself for a couple of weeks. We are staying in several convents in Italy. Only one of them wanted a deposit. No credit cards of course. I explored many options, international money orders, wire transfers, bank transfers, etc. Either too expensive, or too long of wait, or unsure delivery. Finally settled on the following: purchased 500 in AMEX euro travelers checks from Fleet (no fee)on the internet using a credit card. Mailed the amount required, actually rounded it up to 100 euro via Global express US mail. Just got return fax this morning telling me they got the deposit ok. Took about 10 days by mail. Needless to say I am very excited. Postage cost was $23 USD, Bank wanted $46 USD.

Mar 5th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Betsy

Maddy, I'm not sure if this will work for you, but when I was in the same situation, I just e-mailed the hotel and asked if it would be possible to send a personal check. The hotel, also small and family owned, replied in the affirmative. You might try it before you go through the trouble and expense of sending a bank draft.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Sally

I have just mailed traveler's checks, personal checks if okay, or post office money orders. Then the hotel mails or faxes you to let you know they received it. It hasn't ever been a problem.
Usually the hotel returns the check to you, and wants you to pay in cash or lets you use the traveller's checks.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Ann

BTW, there's little point in spending the extra money on Global Express at the Post Office. I found out the hard way. I sent a check that absolutely positively had to be there in 2 days. I was assured it would reach my destination in plenty of time. When it didn't, I contacted the post office. They said that they only guarantee that it will get to the COUNTRY in 2 days, not to the destination. It took 8 days for my check to reach it's destination. It's never taken more than 7 days by regular mail, and usually it only takes 4 days.

And it's no longer 60 cents for postage to Europe, it's now 80 cents.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Wayne

Just for clarification: I get the impression that some of those posting replies are suggesting a bank-to-bank transfer, which is too costly and is definitely not necessary. Getting a cashier's check and mailing it is a very acceptable approach; travelers' checks could or could not be OK, depending on the hotel. If the hotel truly accepts only cash, they might balk at a travelers' check---I guess you need to decide if it's worth a try. Each hotel is different, but I suggest you stick with a cashier's check and mail it.

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Anna

I went to my bank, asked for an international money order for 50 Euros payable to the hotel and sent it via registered mail. It cost me about Cdn$10 which I really didn't mind forking out. It money order arrived within a week, no problems.

Mar 5th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Maddy

Thanks for all the help. I think I will call back and ask again about a personal check. Do you think it's safe to send through regular mail though? I thought I'd read that theft of valuables from mail in Italy is a fairly common occurence.