Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy hotel requires you to leave passport with them?

Feb 4th, 2002, 01:31 AM
Hi

Hi,
My wife and I are travelling to Italy for the first time this summer. I've heard from someone that in Italy, you're required to, by law, leave your passport with the frontdesk while staying at the hotel. We will be staying at some very small and budget hotels and are quite uncomfortable with leaving passports with strangers.. Can anyone tell me if it's true? or am I misinformed (other countries perhaps?). If it is indeed the law.. will a photocopy of passport do? Thanx

Feb 4th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Santa Chiara

It is true that the hotel will take your passport, either for a few minutes, hours or days. It depends on the hotel. They will either take down the information while you are standing there, or they will hold it and take the number down later. Usually, if they don't give it back to you immediately, they will return it no later than the next day. If you are comfortable leaving you passport, ask (politely) it returned to you within the hour, if possible.

Your suggestion of a photocopy is actually a good one. If you have your original passport with you, you might try showing them the original and ask to leave the photocopy for them to take the information. I live and travel within Italy, and quite frankly I have forgotten to take my passport a couple of times. The desk people got upset on both occasions, but they were somewhat mollified in the fact that I had my information written down (passport number, date of issue, place of issue).

Feb 4th, 2002, 01:41 AM
meg

All foreigners have to be registered when staying at hotels in Italy- it's the law. You usually have to hand over your passsport when you check in but you can get it back after a few hours, once the hotel have completed their paperwork. I've never had any problems in over 10 years of trips to Italy.

Feb 4th, 2002, 05:34 AM
elaine

They need to have the original passport, they take the information they need, as mentioned depending on how busy they are this can take 5 minutes or a couple of hours. They are eager to return it to you. I understand your apprehension, but they've been doing this for many years with millions of travelers. You're a guest in their country, and you have to comply.

Feb 4th, 2002, 05:35 AM
kelly

Just make sure that if they aren't going to give it back right away that they will have it in a safe place. I know this sounds pretty basic and you would think it wouldnt be a problem, but one large hotel I stopped in in Venice (forgot the name) had the passports stuck in the slots where the room keys go, and anyone could just reach over and grab a few if the desk guy was away or distracted. I didn''t stay there.

Feb 4th, 2002, 05:43 AM
kavey

In the past, I have shown my actual passport on checking in, and then when they have asked to keep it, said that I would like to take it in order to change money/ cash travellers cheques and will a photocopy be OK?

(At this point I whip out the copy).

I've only done this a couple of times but there were no problems at all.

Kavey

PS When I went to Spain, they actually gave my passport to the WRONG person. Another room checked out before we did, and one of them was given my passport. We checked out a good half hour later.

LUCKILY the other guests were travelling with us. The woman who got my passport is a dipstick and hadn't even noticed but I noticed immediately and went and found her, she had my passport and all was well.

But can you imagine if it had been someone else and they had already left the hotel?

And she didn't look anything like me...

For a start she's white and I am Asian.

Anyway, if you do leave it with reception, get it back as soon as you can, less chance of it going astray, don't leave it till you check out!!!

Kavey

Feb 4th, 2002, 06:43 AM
cheryl

Just returned from Italy and our passport was taken......he took all the
information while we stood there. We
did have 2 copies of our passports with
us too. Hope you have a great trip.
My husband and I are having withdrawal!

Feb 4th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Mel

Kavey, excellent suggestion to say you need it and offer them a copy. I'll definitely remember that one!

I've never had a problem, but the ones people are reporting sound awful. I was only nervous about turning it over on a night train from Paris to Rome once. The conductor (?) kept it all night and returned it in the morning before we arrived in Rome. No problems occured, just my anxiety.