Italy honeymoon planning-please advise!

Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Italy honeymoon planning-please advise!

My fiance and I just started planning a 10 day honeymoon to Italy in mid June 2006. I have never been there, but he has been to Florence and the Cinque Terre. We are looking for a relaxing, laid back trip but also hope to catch a few major sites. We appreciate good food and am looking for romantic places. Please advise, given your experience, knowledge of weather, crowds, etc:
1. Northern vs. southern Italy? My fiance votes for southern, because he doesn't want to repeat his past trip -- although he's willing to go to other places in Tuscany. Venice, however, sounds beautiful to me.
2. Recommend an 8 day itinerary of either northern or southern...
I have sifted through past posts on Italian honeymoons but none really answered these questions. I am so grateful I found this board and am very appreciative of your time and advice. Many thanks in advance!
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM

I don't care for the heat, so I'd stay north in mid-June. It's not usually as hot as July or August, but it can still get very uncomfortable.

For a 10-day honeymoon, I'd spend at least 4 in Venice--find accomodations away from the Grand Canal and especially away from P. San Marco to avoid the crowds. See the popular sights before the poor daytrippers begin to stampede down "Daytrippers' Alley" in mid-morning, and then again after they drag out of town in the late afternoon.

Then the lake district would be wonderful in mid-June--read up on the various lakes and see which ones match your interests the most.

I wouldn't do much more than this on a honeymoon.

Of course, if the heat doesn't particularly bother you, there is southern Italy as well.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM

Definitely include Venice! It is amazing and certainly honeymoon worthy.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM

Hi M,

I love Rufus' recommendation, especially for June! Venice is so beautiful and romantic and the lakes are too! Perfect for an 8 day honeymoon.

Congrats & buon viaggio!
Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hell mrsjbtobe, I too vote for Venice and the Lake Country. I was just talking to a friend in Italy the other night and he commented how hot Italy is getting in June. And Rome this last June 2005 was very miserable.

Think about flying into Venice (the MarcoPolo Airport) and flying out of the Milan Airport (Malpensa) or the opposite. That is called an openjaw or multicity flight. That way you do not have to backtrack (as you do if you fly into and out of the same airport).

Of course if your fiance really wants to go to southern Italy you could go to the Almafi Coast and also spend a few nights on Capri. Have no idea about your budget though, Capri has gotten rather expensive. That could be a lovely honeymoon also. Best wishes to you and congratulations on your marriage.

Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM

With only 8 days and it being your honeymoon, I'd suggest you keep the moving around to a minimum. How about 5 days in Venice and 3 days in Sirmione on Lake Garda? Or for a greater contrast to Venice, spend the 3 days in the mountains at Trentino or Bolzano. (Either way, you'd fly in and out of Venice.) Or spend the entire time in Venice and take day trips to Verona, Sirmione, etc.
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I'd include Bellagio on Lake Como for sure!
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM
ira

Hi mrs,

Definitely Venice.

This could be combined with the Lakes, the mountains, the Amalfi coast or Florence or Rome, in that order.

Happy honeymooning.