Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ITALY HELP-Tuscany, Umbria, Basilacata, Oh my..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Naples for 2 days and the start of my trip and will be in Rome 2 days at the end of the trip. I’ve been to Rome in the past so2 days is OK. I’m trying to figure out what to do with the remaining 7 days (8th day is a travel day). This is all happening mid-September....

I will be travelling with my 28 year old Niece and 33 year old Son. We love spending time in small towns just wandering, absorbing the culture, big foodies, seeing beautiful scenery/sites, art, ocean would be nice, etc. I can’t decide where to spend our time and how to break it up. We can have a car, where needed. I've read through a lot of posts, including Stu's, which was incredibly helpful. I'm a little overwhelmed and not sure what is feasible and how to break it up. I would love to get your ideas!!!! Thank you.

--Would love to go to Ravello (been to Capri and Positano) but don’t feel a huge draw to other nearby areas to make it work the journey, for this trip, anyway.

--Tuscany: Would love to see Sienna, San Gimignano, Volterra

--Umbria: Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto,

--Emilia Romagna: Modena, Parma (They’ve been to Bologna). Don’t know if Modena and Parma could be done in 1 or 2 days or??

--Puglia: Basilicata/Matera, Lecce
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:00 AM

going by train or car? All those places easy to reach by trains (well Ravello only by bus) but a car could be neat too - anyway for lots on Italian trains check Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia - Italy's State Railway site; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com - latter has great tips on booking own trains online at discounts - and www.rickseves.com. Modena and Parma are larger cities but a day in each would be fine IME.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:17 AM

Any of those would work, though some would require more transit time. Some may be more appealing to your companions that others, but I cannot see how anyone could not be charmed by Basilicata/Puglia. Matera 2-3 and then a spot in Puglia for the remainder?
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you PalenQ and Yorkshire. Do you think the below would be workable in 6-7 days? Do you think there is enough variety among those destinations or would it be better to add a little more diversity. I haven't been to any of these areas so I'm not sure where to go. Also, want to take into consideration distance and what would be easiest to reach. Thanks again

--Tuscany: Would love to see Sienna, San Gimignano, Volterra

--Umbria: Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto OR any of the other towns mentioned in original post....
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:37 AM

You listed some specific places, so I assumed you had identified them as of interest. Lecce is quite distinct from the other Puglian towns such as the Itria valley, and Matera is like nowhere on earth. That would be plenty for a week, though you could stop at Maratea en route for some seaside time. Going south actually seems like the least backtracking to Rome to me.

In my 20s, I probably would have been bored to tears by Tuscan hill towns, though you could certainly drive or train up the coast, and get some Etruscan stuff in there with the Lazio and southern Tuscan coasts.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:37 AM

Yes all those places mentioned IME of seeing them are different from the others. Perugia, Assisi and Orvieto are larger cities - Siena too - S Gimi and Volterra also larger towns but much smaller than Siena - you may want to venture out by from those bases to smaller hilltowns by bus. Are you driving or taking trains and buses? Cars let you easily hit smaller more iconic hill towns near these larger ones.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

You are both giving me hope and helping me look at things differently....Yorkshire, your comment about possibly being bored in Tuscany is really good feedback (for them). I’m sure they would find it magical but....since I’m trying to narrow things down, comments like that make me think and do help. PalenQ, your comment about the size of towns helps too. Again, I think they would all be beautiful but maybe too much of a good thing for my niece and son.

I will do a little more research on Lecce and Matera, Maratea. Everything is a blurr now from what I read before. I’m also open to any other suggestions about places that offer beautiful scenery, great food, culture, art, and cute towns to explore. Do you think I could add a trip to Ravello or Ischia into the mix with something in Puglia or ?. I did some reading and Ischia but was feeling like it might not be so great for my niece and son, not sure??? Anyway, sorry to keep coming back but, it’s helping. THANK YOU...
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 12:28 PM

Who can tell what a 28-yr-old and 33 will like - they are not kids but all are different. Perugia is a big university town so has lots of nightlife. Maybe they would enjoy a few days in Florence too? Ischia I thought was cool but again not sure what your younguns would like or not. The larger the city of course the more nightlife. Boats leave for ischia from Naples - how about a climb up Mt Vesuvius - they could love that - close to Naples. Could take some kind of private transfer to Ravello or could take train and bus or ferries from Naples and stay the night and then go onto Tuscany or Umbria by train or car from there (bus or ferry to Salerno with direct trains to Orvieto/Florence area.

Seems to me young folk may enjoy driving around hilltowns more than the towns themselves - rather exciting IME.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Hello again my fellow travelers! I think I may have inadvertently sent the wrong message about my son and niece. They are savvy travelers and aren't really looking for night life and commercialization. I was more concerned with picking spots that were interesting, a bit of diversity, beautiful visually, culturally/food, etc. I wasn't sure if Tuscany would be too much beautiful country side if there is such a thing, just in terms of would it be too similar. I know that sounds naive, but I hope you know what I mean. It's kind of like, you can only see so many incredible churches are museums before you kind of get immune. I hope I don't sound like a moron and someone who doesn't appreciate the beauty in everything. Along the same lines, I couldn't get a good feel for Puglia in terms of the food and towns to pin point. I'm very hesitant to post this because I feel like everyone will think I'm beyond help.....I'm going to keep researching the recommendations you've provided and still interested in any and all comments or ideas. Many thanks...
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Yes Tuscany is IME of driving and busing around it very similar all over - but you could include a seaside-resort with nice beach on the coast to stay a few days - like Viareggio and with a car like you I see indicate in your OP (Original Post) you are willing to have a car and that would make it all so much easier than taking buses or trains in Tuscany or Umbria - and yes 'kids' may love to drive a bit in Italy - Perugia, Assisi and Orvieto are best seen by train and bus though as parking can be hard near city centers - and trains and buses excellent between them.

You want something different - try Tuscany's and Italy's popular Agro-Turismos and stay in farmhouses or hotels on farms or in the countryside - most have swimming pools and lovely views of countryside.

https://www.agriturismo.it/en/
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 12:27 AM

We love Italy and I am sure there are no bad choices. Food in all areas mentioned is fabulous.

some pics may help and you can click on my name to get our many trip reports:

Tuscany (over three 1 week trips during the week of New Years.

Puglia, including Matera

enjoy your planning!
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 01:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will love either region, Tuscany for the hill top views, the little "citta' " normally on tops of hills that didn't make it to the size of Siena as much as Siena or St Gim. Lots to do especially if you include Etruscan stuff.

I've been to Puglia a fair few times now including a 2 week cycle trip and getting married there (follow my name back about 6 years if you really want to). Lecce is very special with a large historical centre now a restaurant and shop centre with lots of old churches and Roman stuff all over. Well worth a couple of evening at least of wandering. Then there are the sort of places where all the tourists go like Gallipoli, etc at the heel and some more interesting places like Gioao di Colle which has a whole Norman castle hidden (built into the central area) and a Roman town just up the road. All these less touristy towns often look like complete dumps from the outside but once you find the "centro storico" they are little pearls.

As to food, well the wine is far superior to much of what you find in Tuscany and far cheaper. Especially Aglianico from Basilicata and Negroamaro from Puglia while a good Salice Salentino will knock a good Haut Macon of a similar price. While fish is Puglia is very good look also at vegetarian food (very much the poverty striken local fare) and be ready to be amazed. People; Pugliese are a bit laid back, so laid back they think that the people of Lecce are go-getters. I work on the assumption that something will always go wrong on a holiday in Puglia, not a big thing, but the people are so nice it kinda of sorts itself out. Even the local Mafia are famously incompetent.

Ocean? There is no ocean in the Med.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 04:48 AM

The beautiful thing about Italy is that you can't make a bad choice. We have a daughter who has traveled with us to some of these places without any disappointment. Two years ago, we did Ischia and Amalfi coast/Capri. She used her iPhone savvy and found many off the tourist path affordable but great restaurants.

We have done Volterra/Montepuliciano as Tuscany bases. Spoleto and Cetona for Umbria. We did Puglia and Matera without our daughter but know she would have loved every bit of it. You can see the report of the Puglia part of it here: 7 days/6 nights in Puglia Matera as someone posted is like no other place in Italy, and, by that, I mean spectacular. We also have a 2-part trip report if you click on our link on last Fall's northern lakes (Como, Iseo, Garda), another great choice.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Hello again, Yeah!!! PalenQ, Jamikins, Bilboburgler, and Whitehall thanks for hanging in there with me and the pic's Jamikins. I have a wedding to go today but top of my list after that is to put together a revised itinerary and see what you all think. I've never put anything together this quickly so arrgghhh...but I should be so lucky, right . Thanks again. I will be back soon. Enjoy the weekend.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 09:47 AM

One thing I believe that no one has mentioned is the idea of finding a good central base; when driving I was surprised how relatively close everything was in Tuscany and Umbria. I stayed in both Orvieto and Montepucliano and found them excellent bases - though my preference is Orvieto as the parking is much simpler (not to mention I found the town charming) and many places are very close by car or train and perfect for day trips. I would also consider how crowded the buses/roads to Ravello and Amalfi Coast will be in mid-Sept.. when trying to decide. If you wish to include Florence, there are high speed trains from Naples that get you there early afternoon and you could spend a day or so before heading out to the countryside. So much to see, I understand trying to make a decision is tough. Let us see your itinerary when you have it..
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bella9440, You are on my wavelength. I had composed the message below before I saw your reply. I like your suggestions for home-bases. We have been to Capri and Positano (almost 8 years ago), which I loved. After all my reading I feel like everything else on the coast will be too commercial and crowded, although I would love to go to Ravello and Atrani (i think) but didn't know if that would make sense. It sounds like a lot of effort to get there for just a few days but again....I would love input. My whole itinerary is liquid right now.

Hello my Fodor friends, I may regret this in the morning. I’ve just returned from a wedding celebration so be kind J. Here’s are my latest thoughts and questions.

We will have 5-6 days to spend (excluding time in Naples and Rome) someplace. Since we are starting in Naples and ending in Rome I’m starting to feel like Puglia/Basilacata might be going too far South and that maybe we would be better off slowly moving at least in the direction of Rome. Any thoughts.
I would like to minimize the driving as much as possible, within reason of course, since we only have 5-6 days. Ideally, I would like to base ourselves in a town(s) where we can walk around in the evenings. OK, me, me, me, me, me.....goodness. Here are possibilities but not looking for input:

Tuscany
Can we take the train from Naples to Sienna and stay in Sienne or Pienza for two nights (3 days) and see Sienna, would we rent a car to go to San Gim, Pienze, other towns in between?

Umbria
Can we take a train from Naples to Orvietto, stay two nights (3 days), would we rent a car there and see Orvietto, Assisi, Spello, ???

I won’t complicate things any further, for now anyway.....Hope to get some recommendations. I’m getting worried that I won’t even find a place to stay at this point...

Mille Grazie
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 12:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd either take the train of fly from Puglia to Rome, flights are dirt cheap and the train trip has some lovely vistas
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 04:26 AM

Yes to all of your choices. The Amalfi coast will be a little less crazy than summer. You will be in Naples anyway, so it seems you can spend a week there with little extra effort. Tuscany and Umbria will be relatively busy in September as well, but both choices are workable. I definitely would rent a car for Tuscany/Umbria but not Amalfi. Again, whatever choice you finally make will be a good one.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 07:45 AM

You can take train Naples via Rome to Orvieto or Siena easy - and if just wanting to visit those other towns can use buses or trains but a car would ne nice. Siena - one n. Sienna the color or race car driver two n's!
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys. I really value your input and keep reading and re-reading your replies.

Bilboburgler, great idea regarding flying from Puglia to Rome. My husband and I will be going to Italy for Christmas so I’m thinking I might save this area for then (Puglia / Basilacata)????

Whitehall, thanks for the input. I’m narrowing things down little by little. and I’m actually thinking that Puglia / Basilacata might be a great destination that time of the year

PalenQ, you had mentioned Viareggio. It took me a while to map this but I have a better perspective now. I found some info on Versilia (Forte dei Marmi, Pietrasanta, Seravezza, and of course the beaches. It looks like it’s about a 2 hr drive from Sienna. I don’t know if a train would take us there or not. Have you been? Can you share any insights, highlights, etc. It looks like a nice mix of upscale beaches for relaxing, some cute towns for browsing and a little history in Seravezza. Still thinking mixing a little sea/ sun/ relaxing with visiting the special sites in Tuscany and Umbria. Maybe 2 days at the coast and 4 in Tuscany or Umbria. I need to quick thinking........But look forward to hearing from you! THANK YOU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -