Italy/Greece - When to book

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our first trip to Europe for next September. I have booked my flights from Canada but am not sure how quickly I should make hotel arrangements. My destinations include Venice, Rome, Athens and Greek Islands (Santorini and Paros and ??). From the threads, I believe that September is hi season and have seen where people have had trouble with locations in France for next June already. Maybe some of the seasoned travellers out there could give me some advice.

Larry
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:33 AM

In Greece September isn't high season. The early part of the month can still be busy, but by the end of Sep nearly all the tourists are gone. Most people wait until the New Year to think about hotel bookings.

For the Greek Islands it isn't necessary to book in advance that time of year, unless you are choosy about where you want to stay. When island hopping I like to have flexibility, so wait until arriving at port to find a room. There are always vacancies, and rooms are competitively priced.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:42 AM

Around April is normally the time for booking for Summer in Europe. But special places are booked up immediately by people who liked it the year before and people who continuously return there. A few such places may quickly be booked up but there are many, many other places which are probably just as good. Having said that, I would book Venice this year as places on and close to it fill up very quickly (though some people will stay at places like the Lido de Jesolo and take a boat there).

High season in Europe is when the children are off school (last week in July till the beginning of September.) Also many French people head south in the month of August, filling most rooms.

I could understand Santorini to some extent as it is a scenic island but why Paros? How about Rhodes, Crete, Cyprus (south) or Corfu?

Venice and Athens you can do in a few days each. Tip. Allow yourself time in Rome to take a sidetrip to Pompeii.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Why Paros? Because it's not Mykonos, for one reason. Rhodes, Cyprus, and Corfu aren't readily accessible from Santorini, which is #1 on many island hoppers' lists, while Paros is only a couple of hours away by ferry. Paros, and its near neighbour Naxos, have a lot to offer after a couple of days on Santorini.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. Sounds like I need to get on to deciding on accomodations in Venice (maybe Rome) but sounds like I have some time for decisions on Greece.

As for selection of islands in Greece. I am committed (flights booked) on Santorini but still in decision making mode from there. Friends here have been happy with time they spent on Sifnos, Paros and Syros and have really enjoyed a visit to Delos. As Heimdall mentions I am trying to keep the distance between points down so I am not spending too much time just travelling. Overall I have 10 days (11 nights) for Greece. First 3 nights will be Santorini and last 3 nights in Athen. Am a little cool on the idea of Mykonos as it sounds a little busy and expensive relative to what it has to offer. Still planning the rest.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:11 PM
GBC

From Santorini we took the ferry to Naxos and were very happy about it. The two islands together provide a good contrast. We had four nights on Naxos in early May - we rented a little car - and our time went very quickly. The beaches are very nice. In May, the sunsets are very impressive. While Santorini can be a little pricey, Naxos is much more reasonable.

In Greece, as in all places, the very nicest accommodations and the best values book up early. It all depends how important it is to you.

If it were me I would especailly book my stay in Venice because I would want to be located with a canal view - particularly the Grand Canal.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM

IF you're interested in Delos, you don't have to go to Mykonos for it -- there's a round-trip Delos excursion that runs out of Naxos. GIves you as much time on the Sacred Isle as you'd get by staying in Pricey Mykonos.
Just one more reason to choose Naxos. Every one of your prior stops on your trip are heavily touristic -- Naxos will be a welcome, relaxing relief, yet has all the amenities you need.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM

You can wait until March to make reservations for September, but no later. The earlier the better. September isn't exactly 'high season' but it's far from slow then.