Italy/France/Ireland - Seeking Help with Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are trying to plan a trip to celebrate her daughter's graduation from college to take place September 2011 to include Italy, France & Ireland from New York. My initial thoughts are to fly into Florence and drive to and stay in Castellina (I visited for a short time previously and vowed I wanted to get back). They both want to see Rome (I've been before) so I thought perhaps we'd drive down to Rome and drop the car and stay a few nights before flying to Paris. After a few nights in Paris (which is my sister's pick), my niece really wants to go to Ireland and I do too - she's thinking Dublin and I'd like to experience a more rural area as well. We'll fly back to NY from there. Are we crazy to think we can do all of this in about 11-12 days? Any ideas about itinerary, where to stay along the way (hotel vs. apartment), particularly what areas of Paris and Dublin we should stay in would be greatly appreciated. In terms of where to stay, we don't plan on being in our room much at all, so a clean and basic accomodation works best. Rather spend money on great food and wine. Thanks so much for any help you are able to provide.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:08 AM

I think that it is too much. Since it is the niece's trip, stick to what she wants. You might even find a Ryanair flight from Rome to Dublin.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 10:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
are we crazy? - yes, as coots.

you've got 3 holidays here, not one. you could do two at a pinch - dublin and Paris, Paris and Rome, but not Dublin, rural Ireland, Paris, Rome, Florence and Castellina [which I see is in Tuscany, near Chianti] too, unless you like the trips that consist of lots of travelling and hardly any seeing and doing.

My suggestion: fly into Florence, after 3 days pick up car and do tuscany including Castellina for 4 days, return car to somewhere convenient, and spend the last 4 days in Rome. any more than that is just plain greedy.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM

In that time pick 3 destinations and make them a max of 4 hours one to the other. I would stay in Italy--as per Ann.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Are we crazy to think we can do all of this in about 11-12 days?</i>"

To be kind -- <red>YES</red> - 100% bonkers.

Let's look at it in real time (and using 12 days to give the best case scenario)

Day 1 -- overnight to Florence

Arrive Day 2 -- Stay the night to barely recover from Jetlag and see a tiny bit of Florence in about 1/2 a day.

Days 3-4 minimum to see a bit of Tuscany

Days 5-7 = 2.5 days in Rome

Days 8-11 = 3.5 days in Paris

Day 12 fly home

And that is at a dead run.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 04:26 AM

We spent 27 days in Ireland and skipped the entire SE. We are planning a 12 day trip to Italy alone. Too much wasting time getting from one place to another! Pick one and have blast. Less is more!
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody - appreciate the help - I kinda figured as much.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 05:42 AM

Yes, you are crazy; but most of us on this board have thought the same thing once upon a time! I would stick to one country and just give that destination all I have. I would much rather really get to feel and love a place that rush around and only be able to say that I have been there. I have visited Ireland and we spent two weeks there. It is a beautiful place...actually I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Good luck and happy planning.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
good for you lori - sorry to have been so blunt.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Lori--we stayed in The White Cottages in Skerries North of Dublin. We were there for 3 nights. It is one of our top places from our trip to Ireland this past July. It was a nice town with a variety of shops and restaurants plus it is right on the ocean. It was VERY easy to take the train from Skerries into/and return from Dublin. Only 30 minutes. We left early in the am and spent all day and into the night exploring the city. It is also close to Trim Castle and Newgrange/Knowth tombs, and the Hill of Tara. I highly recommend it if you want to see Dublin but also experience the small town feel. Our other favorite places were Kenmare, Dingle and Kilkenny in the Repbulic. Glenariffe in the North. I can give you tons of info if you decide Ireland is your choice.
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:05 AM

Bookmarking