Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy for 12 days - Carry-on Only (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-for-12-days-carry-on-only-673273/)

pmuzzy17 Jan 24th, 2007 07:02 AM

Italy for 12 days - Carry-on Only

I am interested in trying to pack for Tuscany and Rome for 12 days in mid-June with only carry-on luggage. I have read the many posts but was hoping to get current advice on soup to nuts - clothing, luggage and toiletries etc. Would like to surprise my boyfriend by being well prepared. Not a shopper (really) but do tend to bring too many shoes.

jgg Jan 24th, 2007 07:17 AM

We spent 3 weeks in Italy last June and each member of our family of 4 carried everything on. We each have the 21" Delsey Helium Lite 100 suiter trolley and their personal bag (www.delseyusa.com/h100_collection.html#). I have always been amazed at how much I can pack in these bags. We do use the Eagle Creek packing folders (www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_folders/) and as was mentioned on another thread recently rolling clothes up really helps!

I must say that one of the keys to packing light is not bringing too many shoes, although since you will be there in the summer fitting an extra pair or two of sandals in is not that hard. My most comfy sandals are my Danskos which are the heaviest so I just wear those on the plane.

We have now packed carryon on for 3 European trips incl. 2 in March when we still needed coats and jeans and sweaters. By the way I am a bit of a clotheshorse so if I can do it - anyone can. I do agree with the statement I have heard before, pack and then remove 1/2 of what you packed as you won't need it!! Bring your favorites - things that are comfy and you love wearing, although I am also in favor of having one or two new things to wear on my trips - although not new shoes.

I must admit we haven't travelled internationally since the further restrictions went in after the London incident. I am trusting that we will be able to carryon as usual for our trip in March to Spain/Morocco.

Dukey Jan 24th, 2007 07:21 AM

What are you going to do laundry with?

flanneruk Jan 24th, 2007 07:34 AM

From May 6, 2007 all Western European airports will adopt the same rules for carry-on.

All passengers going through security at a Western European airport will be imited to ONE piece of handbaggage, which must be no more than 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm. That "one" includes handbags: if you want a handbag and a case, the bag must fit inside the case.

pmuzzy17 Jan 24th, 2007 07:40 AM

Oh my goodness - thank you so much. I guess that takes care of just carry-on but I still can learn how to pack lighter! My teenage daughter and I usually take a cruise and it is laughable the number of shoes we take! I did do a 6 day camping/Grand Canyon rafting trip with bare essentials -(did bring a razor to shave - only idiot shaving my underarms and legs) So please help. I cannot buy most of the travel clothes since I am 5'9" and 120 lbs.

pmuzzy17 Jan 24th, 2007 07:52 AM

One more thing - flanneruk - where can I read this information? I did not see that on the Air France website. Thanks again.

nbujic Jan 24th, 2007 07:55 AM

we have traveled in Europe and Australia with carry-on only for a number of years.
we buy soap, ( or anything elese we need )there, wash the "smalls" at night.
I agree, the only problem is you cannot carry more than one pair or shoes, but it is still better than waiting for your bags or having them lost by the airlines.

sandi_travelnut Jan 24th, 2007 07:58 AM

You can only carry 3 oz. size toiletries, that includes shaving gels or creams, toothpaste, shampoo etc. If they are lager they will be thrown away.

What airports will you be flying into? Are you talking only about 1 carry on sized rolling bag or are you expecting to carry on two bags?

Tiff Jan 24th, 2007 08:00 AM

Hi pmuzzy ~ Girl, if I can do it in January with winter clothes for our 12 days, you can do it in mid-June! I have faith.
:)

The best trick I can come up with is to make sure each top matches each pant you pack that way everything is interchangeable.

Wear one pair and pack one pair of well broken in, very comfortable shoes that match with everything you pack, again so you are not limited.

Your feet will be a titch swollen from the flight, so it will feel good to go from one pair of shoes to the other.

Light weight, clothes that you feel good in.

Pack your toiletries in a coupld flat packs, keeping the liquids in a ziplock. Flat packs take up less room that a big toiletry bag that can often take up half a 21" suitcase. (Thanks suze)

The more lightweight the better, less is more. Have fun!

PamSF Jan 24th, 2007 08:04 AM

A great tip I got from Fodor's folk was to pack using ziplock bags. This greatly decreased bulk! I also took way too many clothes on my first trip. I would also suggest you pack an extra bag(baggalini) or the like to carry home shopping finds with.

katzen Jan 24th, 2007 08:07 AM

My husband and I spent 17 days in Germany and Switzerland and I had all of my clothes/shoes in a carry-on. My husband's suitcase was much bigger so he had to check his. I took the small tide packets to wash with. I had a shoulder bag to carry-on my toiletries - this was of course 2 weeks prior to the 'no liquids in carry-ons' that was enforced.

I think 12 days worth of clothing in a carry-on is definitely doable.

pmuzzy17 Jan 24th, 2007 09:39 AM

I have traveled several times since the 1qt ziploc bag rule and the best information I received was that saline solution is exempt from the 3oz rule. I use large ziploc bags for many personal items, i.e. my bras and underwear and socks. I am mostly a pretty good traveler. I was hoping a rolling carry-on and a backpack, which works for me for trips of 5 to 6 days even in the winter. But if we can only take on one bag... Not sure I can manage. Cruises are definately not a carryon only proposition but this trip I am hopeful!

pmuzzy17 Jan 24th, 2007 09:41 AM

Oh, airports - JFK, Paris CDG, Rome and Florence. Airlines are Air France and for Florence to Rome - Alitalia.

jabez Jan 24th, 2007 10:13 AM

We also only leave with carry-on bags. It's generally easier for the men to get by without filling up their ziplock with liquids. I end up letting my wife fill up the rest of mine and it works fine.
Most of our trips have been around 3 weeks.
We always return with extra bags,but it sure is nice to not worry about bags on the way out.
As for shoes, my wife always seems to buy shoes on every trip to Italy. For her,no need to bring too many.
We generally do a couple laundry stops. I've got some great memnories of doing laundry in Montalcino. While the wives shopped,the men offered to do the laundry. We brought our clothes to a shop.Put coins and soap in and went around the block to enjoy wine and cheese as the washing took place.
At the appropriate time we returned to start the dryers and then returned to our repast.
One of our keys is "black".For instance,a nice black sweater and sweater vest goes with everything.

pmuzzy17 Jan 24th, 2007 10:23 AM

Montalcino is where we plan to spend my 50th birthday! Do you know anything about the new luggage restrictions mentioned by the previous poster?

janisj Jan 24th, 2007 10:34 AM

pmuzzy17: I don't have the time right now to search for a source for you - but flanner is right. Right now on any flights out of any UK airport you are limited to one item (not a carry on plus a "personal item" but one thing) And in the Spring that will be the rule out of any western European airport.

You can carry two item INTO theses airports - if you had a non-stop flight from the States you would be OK. But if you connected through another European airport, and for your flight home you could only have the one item.

I still manage carry-on only to Europe, and can most of the time manage it for the return flight. But if I can't leave enough room in my roll aboard for my handbag, then I have to check the roller bag for the flight home.

pmuzzy17 Jan 25th, 2007 05:16 AM

I so appreciate the heads up. I will keep this in mind. We are flying Air France and the website has no reference to this yet.

AlinPA Jan 25th, 2007 05:35 AM

Also remember that you are only allowed one quart-sized baggie for your liquids, etc. That includes prescription cremes or gels.

nbujic Jan 25th, 2007 06:22 AM

my understending was that ONLY in Britain you can have one carry -on but the other European airports allow 2.
Does anyone knows for sure?

pmuzzy17 Jan 25th, 2007 06:24 AM

Believe it or not, I am good with that. My only prescriptions are pills and contact solution is exempt - at least in the U.S. I like the idea of just buying another pair of shoes. Hate to shop but love shoes. Any suitcase/backpack suggestions? I wanted a leather backpack but I am sure that weighs too much to be practical for this trip.