Amsterdam for a day

Search

Amsterdam for a day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam for a day

My wife and I will be on a river cruise leaving Amsterdam in early April. We land in Amsterdam at 8 am and do not need to board the ship until late afternoon. We are wanting to get as many sights in as possible in this limited time. Is it best to hire a private tour guide service or try to do this on our own. I don't mind spend a few $$ for the tour service... our previous trans Atlantic flights left us exhausted so maybe the guide is a good deal. we are both early 50's and in fair shape. Any recommendations on what do do or must see attractions. Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Well the Cruise Ship Terminal is very close to the center of town and a short walk from where the canal boats take you on guided tours of the canals with commentary - takes about an hour or so - then I'd suggest just walking around the canals in that vicinity - any guided tour can't go into the pedestrian zones that lace the town center. So if going for a guided tour take a walking tour - the cruise company no doubt will have relevant info.

But on your own just walk to Central Station (trains) and pop into the VVV (tourist Office) opposite it and get walking tour maps your own of the nearby area - again the heart of town.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on the tours not able to get in the pedestrian zones. Walking might be good after sitting on a plane for 9 hours.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Had a great walking tour experience with Larae at http://amsterdamsel.com Highly recommend.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would just make your own walking tour (from a guidebook or online). Maybe include a canal boat ride? If the weather is nice, Vondelpark was a highlight for me (but I'm not a museum person so your mileage may vary).
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 04:15 PM

Scottie51, we did a river cruise starting from Amsterdam several years ago. Are you arriving a day early?

More than likely the cruise company will have 'optional extras' available for you to participate in if you are. Our cruise company had arrangements for a visit to an old fashion village complete with windmills and wooden shoe makers. Of course there was an additional fee.

Also most of the river cruise companies will include a canal cruise for the passengers the prior to the ship sets sails. As PalenQ suggested the concierge on board the ship will have many suggestions for you.

Enjoy your river cruise.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Most guide books -- such as Fodor's -- have self-guided walks. You really won't have a lot of time [remember it takes some time to get from your plane to the center of the city.], so I recommend a walk early, before your jet lag exhaustion kicks in...followed by a canal cruise.

That -- and lunch -- will likely use up your time, and give you a nice taste of that wonderful city.

If you're rally not too exhausted, of course, you could stop into a museum. If you are an art fan...either the Rijkmuseum or Van Gogh [no time for both] can be done <strong>instead</strong> of a town walk. Both are on the edge of the ring canals, so a basic town walk probably won't get you there.

If you're more into history...substitute the Anne Frank house...but get advanced timed reservations -- an absolute must.

SS
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM

If you are going Grand Circle as did we you will possibly be at Movenpick Hotel on the harbor and a short walk into center city past Central Station as mentioned. I think the tourist info office is across the street. What to see? Rijks Museum, Anne Franck House reachable by tram. Doesn't your tour come back to Amsterdam later? Anyway I'll bet you will see the marvelous flower display at Keukenhof Park. And much more. A river cruise for that destination is also many canals.